London Concert - 1 December 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Padmachou
Silver Member

Re: London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by Padmachou »

Here is my first ever review in english... I will do my best I hope everything will be clear.
It was my second concert as I attended the Christmas concert 2 years ago at St Georges. I think it was quite different I enjoyed it more as I was less in shock and also I know the choir better so I knew where to look.

I was there early but then got lost around the cathedral. A bunch of boys with blue shirts came accross the street and so I followed them to be sure to find my way. Funny how Victor smiled at me. I was wearing a Hogwarts scarf so maybe that's why. Then again it's quite easy to make Victor smile !

I listened to the end of day service and I found the sound pretty good but the Westminster choirs were at the far back of the church and you couldn't see them. Libera's was quite different.
I might be mistaking but I didn't hear any mention of the evening concert and was surprised but I guess all the tickets were sold.

I also was lucky enough to see how Sam Coates checked all the mikes and it was exactly how I imagined it would be. A guy was whispering in it and telling him which number to check...

During the rehearsal everyone had to wait outside. That's when I met Patrick and two other french fans.

When the doors opened I discovered my seat on fifth raw on the left. I talk a bit with my neighboors who happened to be belgian fans and two nice ladies from Norbury.
The sight was pretty good but sometimes the eight mini-boys would mask the boys behind. I managed to get a signed program with 36 signatures (I haven't yet checked who is missing).
Among the 8 newbies, Ethan clearly is Leo's brocher. They look alike and in the program there is a pic where Leo holds his shoulder. Then at the end of the concert the boys said merry Christmas in 12 different languages. I don't recall what is Leo and Ethan's but they did it together. One of the boys is identified as Nick Taylor, he has been on twitter already but I don't know if he is Laurence ´s brother. Louis Boon is french.
Sam Wiggin and Matthew Madine were selling programs.

Now I will give a comment on every song but I am afraid I am bad to remember choregraphies and lights. And the songs might not be in order, apologies...

Do you hear what I hear was really good especially the begining which was made by 4 boys (Ale, Gabe, Leo and Alex G) without lights. Then everyone answered. I was really close to the ancient version and simple, it fits them quite well. I was stunned by how good their sound is... Still a shock. Also they are skilled to move while singing it's not easy and I can see why they practise blindfolded.
I noticed that Alexandre Menuet who is quite small sometimes had troubles because his neighboors would forget him and he had to fight to reach his spot.

Then it was Sanctus with Merlin doing the top notes. The different parts were really even and the miniboys seemed pretty relaxed on this song.

Gabe did a wonderful opening on Gaudete. His voice is so pure and he is able to sound profond and strong but this was light and angelic. I enjoyed the warm colors of the lights. Also I was enthrilled with the bass voices of Ale and Isaac that you could hear so clearly. It's powerful. Sometimes both of them would leave the stage but you wouldn't even notice. While Camden, Gregor and Alex M still can manage some high parts.

I am totally mixed up with the speeches I can't tell what was said and when. But before the Gaudete I know they joked about the change of venue "as you are aware" (indeed we were there). They said they would sing Christmas songs but not to much because it still is in three weeks.
Peter seemed to have trouble remembering his speech it was funny.
The speeches contained the usual explanations about the word Libera, the robes, the different cultures and languages of the boys - there was a french welcome by Victor and Alexandre.
They said the youngest members on stage were 8 like the miniboys except Daniel White who just turned 9 as he explained himself. He seems really relax and I think he might soon join the group. He was singing a lot of parts and leading the other newbies and alreading able to enjoy the show as much as possible. The oldest boys were 15.
They introduced Moose and said he has been to several places around the world but never to San Damiano in Italy.
Daniel spoke about being a mini boy and said it was their first concert. He explained they wouldn't always sing because they still had a lot to learn with so many harmonies. When they were leaving they sat on a bench behind.

I couldn't wait to hear From A distance but I have to confess I am a bit disappointed. I really like the CD record and couldn't get along with Merlin peculiar pronunciation. I find it doesn't match with the rythm nor the choir parts. But he knows his voice really well and it's powerful. He is totally dedicated to the song and smiles so much... Then the song was still amazing. I liked how the boys kneeled and get up when the song became intense.

Carol of the bells was really good. I liked the old choregraphy better. There were to lines of boys in the sides and in the middle two lines. These lines would split in the middle and the boys on either side would face each other when doing the bells movements.
I like the way each boy seems to be the music and moves with it. Some can't stay still like Samuel-Francis or Nick. Others smile a lot (Taichi, Leo, Victor, Merlin). I also noticed that some boys look at Robert a lot and other barely are looking like Adam. That's impressive how they know each other and their parts.
I didn't spot the boys who did the solos except the last one : Daniel White.

Stay with me has been a difficult time for mikes. Oliver and Taichi were barely audible. But I enjoyed Oliver's nice and simple pronunciation and smart breathing. It reminds me of the old record with Joe Sanders if I am not mistaking. Taichi was amazing it seems so easy for him...

How great thou art was really moving thanks to Alex G's voice. It is really peculiar with a lot of air in it and it sounds mystical. I also was quite relieved to hear him because his voice gets lower when speaking and I feared it might break before I had the opportunity to see him. I found the choir less moving than the American CD record but it might be because of the church accoustic.

Angele dei MUST find its way to Ely. I couldn't imagine how it might sound in live before. Well that's crazy how the boys manage to make it soft and smoothing...I could barely breath... It felt like when you take a bath and your head is under water and you hum gently and it feels like it's your heart that is making that sound... Rocco is awesome and Taichi and Leo just enjoy the high parts.
I noticed on this song and some others that Marc has a mike and is in the inner circle but I can't tell what part he is doing... If someone knows I am eager to find out !

There was a break and they joked again about not spealling drinks on their white robes.

I was glad to hear Dies Irae as it is a song I like very much. The red lights and serious faces of the boys are effective... I wish we could hear a soloist version because I find the pronunciation of the verset more impressive when done by soloists. Then again it sounds very medieval like with all the boys and the plums it was good !

The song transforms into Joyful joyful it's disturbing and impressive how different the atmosphere is. My regret is you can't here the "dum dum dum" from the introduction I like to hum ! There were so much smiles that Victor at some point forgot to sing. It seemed to amuse him and he smiled even more ! Leo did a wonderful job with the top notes I had goosebumps.

I am the day's return is a good new ! Alex G was doing the solo I think, with Oliver and Peter. It was just as good as if they never stopped performing it. I particularly enjoyed the lights and the way the boys were facing each other but somehow I can't find the words to describe it. It fits very well what I figured in my head when listening to the song. There is a new high line on the "eteeerna" I think Leo handled it. I am not used to it it puzzled me.

There was after that a soft soft Dreaming of home. It was more moving than the record I found. I remember at some point being surprised that Camden was kneeling with a bunch of boys singing a high part but I can't tell if It was in this song or Amazing Grace. Otherwise Taichi's solo part was terrific !

San Damiano surprised me. It might be the church's sound that gave that impression but it didn't sound like the CD as "one" song. You could here distinctly the different lines. I always thought this song must be hard and tiring for the boys. But mostly they seem to enjoy themselves. I think that song could benefit from a choregraphy.

For Salva me Taichi wore his hood and stood on the left behind the boys. He is really good at it. I enjoyed the lights that went from blue to dark it was impressive. I also liked the choregraphy, they raised their hands on "saaaa" and would lower it and raise again on "alva me". I had to restrain myself from doing it too !

Amazing Grace : some boys kneeled for the first row. Rocco is powerful and convincing on this solo !

Orinoco flow was a great moment. I think that's a song I do not really own I have only got a bad record. I expected changes in the arrangement but it is the same. The boys seem to like it a lot and I was pretty impressed because they mix "ah" "oh" "dut" and lyrics... Quite skilled they are !

Wayfaring stranger... Was so... So... Beautiful ! Alex's voice is a perfect match ! The V disposition and Green lights are so effective... I particularly like the moment when the boys join the soloist in the middle.!

On Smile Gabe and Ale are performing very well together. They both have strong voices and their harmonies are perfect. I was quite impressed by Romeo's flute part. It is rare at such a young age to be able to give such a smooth sound with an instrument. A lot of smiles on this song. My choir teacher once told us that to make people sad on melancholic song you have to smile. I guess he was right.
Fun fact : boys often check their mikes or arrange hair beetween songs. Well Koji couldn't plan to sneeze at the perfect time ! He was right in the middle during that song and snoozed 3 times in a raw... Ah, december...

The last song was Libera. Absolutely perfect : I was stunned by how precise was the a cappella introduction. Nota bene I had been wondering for a while if RP sometimes gives the note to the boys before starting the song and yes I have heard that several times during the concert.
I noticed that Rocco and Alex although singing the solo start the "libera me domine" with the other boys. It shows just how professionnal they are !

There was a standing ovation and right after Leo and Gabe came on the front where the mini boys previously stood. I wondered for a while why they both were looking to the left. And then I noticed RP at the piano.
This Do not stand was extraordinarily moving I felt a urge to cry. Gabe is at his maximum I believe he would be able to do outstanding solos... I would hope for a Stabat Mater. And Leo's voice is so pure and flawless... I wish he would not only enjoy his top notes but also solos like Thomas DL used to. Please give us a live Benedictus Deus !
I felt awfully sad and feared they would end the show like that. This choice clearly means something...

But then came the warm Dulci Jubilo.
I noticed that the mini boys gained confidence during the concert. At this time they seemed relax and happy with their experience. Daniel is already bold and independant. He was sometimes guiding the other newbies. Nick moves and moves sooo much !

After the concert I had a tea to warm up. I had the surprise to see two different boys coming to the same place. I thought about congratulating them but on second thought decided they deserved quiet family time !
I came accross Camden is the street followed by a little brother of him with the same exact smile. Really cute. Don't know if he wants to sing too.

Again Libera confirms their talent. I am really wanting to get to Ely now. Maybe...
Victor C

Post by Victor C »

20171201_220406.jpg
20171201_220406.jpg (545.75 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
20171201_220406.jpg
20171201_220406.jpg (545.75 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Applause after "Libera", lights turned on, first notes of "Do not stand" and lights off again!
20171201_222852_HDR.jpg
20171201_222852_HDR.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
20171201_222852_HDR.jpg
20171201_222852_HDR.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 1904 times
The console after the concert. Apparently there was a channel for each boy plus "Solo" and "Rob", so does each boy have a microphone?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

danieb88 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm">6 years ago</span>
Firstly, the change of venue was by far the best thing that could have happened for us-our seats which were 11 rows back in St George’s were moved to the front row!! I couldn’t believe it-I have never had anything close to that as a view before and tried to make sure I focussed the whole way through to make the most of it!
I have heard many positive things about this venue and perhaps this place will become a regular location for concerts. And that you got moved to the front row is a fantastic stroke of luck :D.

"Do Not Stand" seems to have been a fan favorite for this show. Would you say that it was your personal favorite as well, danieB88?
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:20 pm">6 years ago</span> Just for completeness I will list the boys and set list for the concert:
Thank you for that Yorkie. As usual there are so many new choristers; some of whom will be a part of the touring group soon. Especially for the newbies, preparing for these concerts is very hard work. The set list changes are always interesting to note. How happy are you personally that "Exsultate" is gone? :lol: :wink: I know the fans who attend the concerts more frequently than myself are sick of it, but I always found it a very pleasant, upbeat little song. Bring it back I say! :wink:
Victor C wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 pm">6 years ago</span> In the mean time, here are some photos I took from Friday: (they will also be gradually uploaded to my Instagram page)
These are really good photos, Victor C. I am so glad that you enjoyed your very first Libera concert! How do you feel afterwards? Will you attend again? :D
Victor C wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:29 am">6 years ago</span> Apparently there was a channel for each boy plus "Solo" and "Rob", so does each boy have a microphone?
I cannot speak to this concert but at minimum the soloists are individually mic'd. There have been concerts, particularly the filmed concert which became the "Libera in America" DVD, where all of the choir members had a microphone.
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am">6 years ago</span> Angele dei MUST find its way to Ely. I couldn't imagine how it might sound in live before. Well that's crazy how the boys manage to make it soft and smoothing...I could barely breath... It felt like when you take a bath and your head is under water and you hum gently and it feels like it's your heart that is making that sound... Rocco is awesome and Taichi and Leo just enjoy the high parts.
Thank you for your review, Padmachou. A real pleasure to read actually. Your writing style suits a concert review: detailed and resonant with your impressions.

And "Angele Dei" is one of my favorites as well after I heard it in the US this summer. You describe it rather movingly. An extremely good song which is elevated by Rocco's solo in a big way. Was this your favorite song of the night?
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am">6 years ago</span>Again Libera confirms their talent. I am really wanting to get to Ely now. Maybe...
I will see you there! :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Some wonderful reviews of the concerts.
Al17

Post by Al17 »

Nice reviews and photo's ! :)

The whole trip to London was a big adventure for me because everything was new.

Libera was really awesome, wondering all the time why they are not more popular.

The performance of some numbers like Wayfaring stranger was a plesant surprise.
Smile was also more than great, with one boy playing a flute :)
It made me really smile.

I enjoyed my first concert dispite the no signing very much.
Very happy with it.
Next time Ely ?? :D
-- on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam - Carl Sagan
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Many thanks for the reviews danieb88 and Padmachou. I enjoyed reading them immensely.

Dannieb88, I would love to meet you, I am the short fat guy. OK, yes, there are lots of short fat Libera fans - but I am the best looking one.

Padmachou – cannot believe that English is not your first language, your literary skills are Dickensian.

Hope to see you both in Ely.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Thanks for the reviews! :D Keep them coming.

It's neat that they brought back Do You Hear What I Hear. The Angel Voices 3 version was the first song by them that I heard, so it's cool that it's back. I'd love to hear a newly-recorded version sometime, although perhaps as a single or EP - I'm not hoping for another Christmas album.

I wish I could have heard Gabe's latest solos, especially Do Not Stand - that must have been beautiful. Gabe has such a lovely tone to his voice. I really hope he ends up with a few more recorded solos.

Also neat to hear that Daniel White had a mini-solo during his first concert! It definitely seems like an indicator that we'll be hearing more from him in the future, unless he leaves the group (hopefully not!).
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Thank you, everyone, for your reviews and photos. I haven't had the time to check this forum out in the past 2 days, and now I'm overwhelmed with others' feelings and photos of the concert, so much and so 'joyful' that I nearly jumped out of my chair (well, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). 8)
john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:53 am">6 years ago</span> Second half opened with Alex G flanked by Oliver M and Peter with a wonderful new arrangement of “I Am the Day”. This was the highlight of the evening for me. Beautiful arrangement; perfect harmony from the original three and then a wonderful high/low exchange between Leo and an unknown base (couldn’t see). A must for Ely.
At first it looked like there would be no encore as RP moved away from his podium. Then it became clear that he was moving towards the piano on the far left. The room quietened. Gabe and Leo moved to the front left and front right of the stage respectively. Robert began to play and Gabe began to sing the most heartfelt rendition of “Do not Stand at my Grave ” that I have ever heard and Leo provided beautiful counterpoint. A most emotional experience which, for me, whatever its intent may have been, was a moving tribute to the late Steven Phillip.
- Remember we've just stated that Peter needs more 'role'? We were right, weren't we? I am soooo curious right now, about the new arrangement of this beautiful song. I would love to have a taste of it!
- Leo was doing the lower part of 'Do Not Stand'? My eyes got teary a bit reading about Gabe and Leo's beautiful performance of this emotional song I've always liked. Thank you, John.

danieb88 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm">6 years ago</span> - A real shame for the boys but the sound quality wasn’t great on Stay with Me - Taichi’s high notes weren’t very audible at all and Oliver’s was intermittent throughout unfortunately. I felt the sound quality was better in the 2nd half - less feedback etc from the microphones.
- It was great to see the Mini Boys, and as others have said it seems Daniel will be a confident performer in the future! I had ?Nicolas in front of me throughout and he was shuffling around the whole time! So much so that his neighbour was appearing to be getting annoyed with him, nudging him occasionally!! I think all the mini boys were exhausted-there were a lot of yawns and tired looking faces at the end (I even saw Peter stifle a couple of yawns!) it’s such a long day for them doing a concert on a Friday-fair play!
Thank you danieb88 for your thoughts. I can relate to many things in your review. It really is a shame that the sound system had some errors. My first thought when I heard about this was basically 'No, please no' - gladly they fixed it at the 2nd half.
The parts about the mini boys are the most interesting ones for me when reading reviews of concerts in London, for sure. Well, I cannot hear about them elsewhere, can I? They must have added to the atmosphere of the concert in their own way. I actually giggled at your funny highlight about Nick. :mrgreen:

danieb88 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:13 pm">6 years ago</span> As always, I’m sorry not to have spoken to any of you in person but I’m always way more nervous than I expect to be and don’t know what you all look like!! I’m just glad I can have these convos afterwards with you all
More things to be related to! I was really really nervous at my first concert just last month, but spending time with other Libera fans is just fantastic, right?

Victor C wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:50 pm">6 years ago</span>
  • This was my first ever concert, so I apologise in advance if there are any errors (please correct me!), as I can only compare the songs to what I've heard on CD and not previous concerts.
I am really looking forward to your review, Victor C. The ones from the first goers have something in them that I really really want to dig further into. I've just had my first not so long ago, I think I can partly feel what you've felt. Also, a HUGE thank you for the photos. They look lovely! :wink:
(About your question regarding the microphones matter, if you saw there was a channel for each boy, I'm pretty sure that means each of them had a mic)

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am">6 years ago</span> I was there early but then got lost around the cathedral. A bunch of boys with blue shirts came accross the street and so I followed them to be sure to find my way. Funny how Victor smiled at me. I was wearing a Hogwarts scarf so maybe that's why. Then again it's quite easy to make Victor smile !
I came accross Camden is the street followed by a little brother of him with the same exact smile. Really cute. Don't know if he wants to sing too.
How lucky you are! And thank you for your magnificent review. I have fun reading it and it gave me goosebumps. I cannot agree more on your thoughts about the soloists and high-noters - I have some very similar thoughts too. Alex G, Rocco, Taichi, and Gabe for Stabat Mater and Leo for Benedictus Deus is exactly what I'm having in my mind. Are you a psychic or something? :P
I particularly enjoy the part about the mini boys and all the trivia stuff, everything. I would like to speak out my impression about Marc - he is one of the 'core' singers of the alto part, I believe, and I would also want to hear him doing some solo parts. He's more than ready!

Al17 wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:01 pm">6 years ago</span> I enjoyed my first concert dispite the no signing very much.
Very happy with it.
Next time Ely ??
So happy for you. And yes, you should totally come to Ely if you have the chance. :roll:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
Victor C

Post by Victor C »

Thank you John, Patrick, danieb88 and Padmachou for your wonderful reviews, now I know the names of the soloists. :D
kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:04 am">6 years ago</span> About your question regarding the microphones matter, if you saw there was a channel for each boy, I'm pretty sure that means each of them had a mic
Thanks for the information!
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

The weekend is over, the experiences are over, but the memories will last forever=)

The very well stated reviews above really already summedup the concert perfectly.
This was my 9th Libera concert and I think this was one of my favorites so far. I had goose-bumps from the start to the finish. The venue which was perfected really added to the emotions, just like the lighting!

I did notice that in 2 songs there were small timing mistakes. I think that's when RP got up and tried to make contact with all the boys! The situation for the boys in the back wasn't that easy, since they need to see RP at all times.

I also enjoyed that the xmas-concert wasnt loaded with xmas songs. I like the others better=) and the venue.....if they could keep this venue for the upcoming years that would be amazing!

Personally I got a chance to chat with Matt Madine and Sam Wiggin and get some good pictures=) That was lots of fun!
On Sunday, to see the boys in regular Church service was really really nice too! its amazing how heavy their schedules are, but they keep on smiling and enjoying everything they do!

Can't wait for the next trip to Ely.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the review, ste1701fan. It is incredible how hard they work to sing as well as they do - Libera is a serious commitment. And with yet another up-vote for the venue, I think it's clear that the fan community at large hopes that they perform there again at some point.

What would say your favorite song(s) was/were at this particular concert?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 am">6 years ago</span> And with yet another up-vote for the venue, I think it's clear that the fan community at large hopes that they perform there again at some point.
They may be waiting a long time I'm afraid. The cost of hiring this venue is enormous.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
ForrestB

Post by ForrestB »

Loved reading the reviews. All settled into my new place and during the move I found this gem.
B9DF4303-4F9B-49C0-A709-47C468BECD61.jpeg
B9DF4303-4F9B-49C0-A709-47C468BECD61.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 1625 times
B9DF4303-4F9B-49C0-A709-47C468BECD61.jpeg
B9DF4303-4F9B-49C0-A709-47C468BECD61.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 1625 times
I forgot that I won this from a contest, that they had promoting their Christmas album awhile back.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 am">6 years ago</span>
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 am">6 years ago</span> And with yet another up-vote for the venue, I think it's clear that the fan community at large hopes that they perform there again at some point.
They may be waiting a long time I'm afraid. The cost of hiring this venue is enormous.
Yes I can not imagine unless ticket prices go up that we will have another concert there any time soon.

It’s a great venue but you can see why St G’s is a lot cheaper to rent.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

dani wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 am">6 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:58 am">6 years ago</span>
Yes I can not imagine unless ticket prices go up that we will have another concert there any time soon.

It’s a great venue but you can see why St G’s is a lot cheaper to rent.
Except they sold out St George's and then sold additional tickets for some of the extra seats last minute at Westminster. A larger venue would therefore not be out of question to start with. Given that they sold all the premium seats and many general seats within mere minutes after tickets sales began, the possibility that slightly higher premium ticket prices could be commanded is actually quite reasonable. On a personal level it would not matter to me as I could never see myself making a December concert in London anyhow, but it just seems logical overall.

Either way, whatever the venue, their December concerts always seem to be resounding successes. :D