London Concert - 1 December 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by john45 »

According to Ticketmaster's seating plan for other events at Westminster Cathedral, Row A centre aisle seats are 14 (L) and 15 (R). At St. George's they were 15 and 16. I have 13,14,15. Could be some confusion.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

So far seats are not numbered in the cathedral. Well, more exactly many seats have labels pasted on several layers, from previous events, but they are all mixed and placed randomly without any order, so these previous labels are of no use.
Perhaps someone from the staf will put some seats numbering during the afternoon...

Update: post-its have been put on the chairs sides with letters and numbers :)
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Well in the end the exhibition was quite short... So I'm already around the cathedral. Got lost and then... Saw a group of little boys with blue shirts and all 😉 I followed and they lead me right at the cathedral, strange isn'y it ?
So I hope I will catch a program ! So excited... 😊
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I don’t take notes, and memory is beginning to fail, so this won’t really qualify as a “review” – just a summary of what sticks in the mind of a septuagenarian.

Last minute change of venue went remarkably well though it seems the British have forgotten one of their most basic skills – how to queue. Perhaps the weather had something to do with that.

Anyway, once inside, all went smoothly – CDs, calendars and a magnificently illustrated Year Book were sold by Nick and Terry. Unsigned programs were sold by Sam Wiggin and Matt Madine – both looking very tall and very dapper. Signed programs were also available for an extra two pounds.

Concert opened with a lively performance of “Do you Hear what I Hear” followed by “Sanctus” with Merlin on the final Sanctus.

Next came a very nice version of “Gaudete“, the main theme prefaced by a delightful solo from Gabriel – much better than the Christmas DVD I think.

Rocco then aced his moving rendition of “Angele Dei” and was followed by an equally flawless “From a Distance” by Merlin. RP stood from his usual seated position for part of this and a number of other songs. Not sure why, the stage was relatively high so perhaps those at the back were not seeing his direction well.

Lovely performance of “Carol of the Bells” (over 6 million plays on YouTube) came next with new miniboy (and certain future star performer) Daniel White singing the final Ding Dong. He later gave a very confident speech about the “miniboys” relating that they were all aged eight but that he had just turned nine!

Alex G followed with a very moving performance of my favourite hymn “How Great Thou Art”.

Very nice performance of “Stay With Me” by Oliver M – but there seemed to be something wrong with his mike (or the mixing) as his sweet voice was drowned out by the French Horn at times.

First half then finished with what has recently been the start of the second half – “Dies Irae” segueing into “Joyful, Joyful” with China poster-boy Victor Wiggin once again providing much joy.

Second half opened with Alex G flanked by Oliver M and Peter with a wonderful new arrangement of “I Am the Day”. This was the highlight of the evening for me. Beautiful arrangement; perfect harmony from the original three and then a wonderful high/low exchange between Leo and an unknown bass (couldn’t see). A must for Ely.

“I’m Dreaming of Home” with great solo work from Taichi.

“San Damiano” with lots of heart and soul from the full choir.

“Salva Me” well performed as usual.

“Amazing Grace” – the amazing Rocco redeems this, to my taste, less than amazing hymn.

“Orinoco Flow” performed with the usual gusto.

“Wayfaring Stranger” Loved this. Alex G sings with such feeling and his maturing voice is now just perfect for this song.

“Smile” Scorned by me before it got the Libera treatment, but will now always be a favourite. Gabe and Alessandro were just perfect. Was there a glint of a tear in Alessandro’s eye? Could this be his last Libera concert? I hope not.

“Libera” marked the formal ending of the concert and was followed by a standing ovation with prolonged applause and many “Bravos”

At first it looked like there would be no encore as RP moved away from his podium. Then it became clear that he was moving towards the piano on the far left. The room quietened. Gabe and Leo moved to the front left and front right of the stage respectively. Robert began to play and Gabe began to sing the most heartfelt rendition of “Do not Stand at my Grave ” that I have ever heard and Leo provided beautiful counterpoint. A most emotional experience which, for me, whatever its intent may have been, was a moving tribute to the late Steven Phillip.

There was just time to wipe my eyes as RP moved back to his podium and brought the mood back to one of joy leading the choir in a lively performance of “In Dulce Jubilee” as the final finale.

I have not mentioned the speeches which were mostly new, very entertaining and expertly delivered. Towards the end, about a dozen different boys wished us Christmas Greetings in the language of their heritage – culminating in our favourite half “All American Boy” (Peter Kielty) wishing us Happy Holidays.
A wonderful evening. Thank you Libera.

PS. About the mini-boys: there were eight and they participated in a number of songs standing in groups of four at the front of the stage. It seems that two of them might be brothers of current members: Ethan (Leo Baron) and Nicholas (Laurence Taylor).
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the review John.
john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:53 am">6 years ago</span> Robert began to play and Gabe began to sing the most heartfelt rendition of “Do not Stand at my Grave ” that I have ever heard and Leo provided beautiful counterpoint. A most emotional experience which, for me, whatever its intent may have been, was a moving tribute to the late Steven Phillip
When you put 'Do Not Stand...' in that context it becomes an even more significant and moving moment of the night. Great to know that the soloists performed it so well.

On another note it's refreshing to read that some old favourites have returned to the concert setlist.

P.S. Patrick has tweeted a link to his review and other french fans on the French forum at https://t.co/HSgNP7ctBj
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Thank you John for the heartfelt review of the concert. :D Reading your words had me on the verge of tears a couple of times.
"with a down derry, derry down down"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I will probably translate my review in English when I am taking the train tonight. If I don't fall asleep :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Excellent review, John. As usual I enjoyed reading it greatly. So glad to know that you and the others had the opportunity to enjoy this performance, it sounds like it was very good. :D
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:53 am">6 years ago</span> I don’t take notes, and memory is beginning to fail, so this won’t really qualify as a “review” – just a summary of what sticks in the mind of a septuagenarian.
I don't agree John, There is nothing wrong with your memory. This is a superb and accurate review of the concert. I only wish I could put together such a review myself. Its been several years since the last concert I attended, I have been overwhelmed by all the new faces and voices. That in itself is a chore to remember.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
danieb88
Silver Member

Post by danieb88 »

On my way home now so wanted to add my thoughts on the concert :)

Firstly, the change of venue was by far the best thing that could have happened for us-our seats which were 11 rows back in St George’s were moved to the front row!! I couldn’t believe it-I have never had anything close to that as a view before and tried to make sure I focussed the whole way through to make the most of it!

I won’t do a review as such as lots of others will do a far better job than me, but just a few things to note:

- I like the addition of Do you hear, and Gabe & Leo did a fab intro to it

- The first half of the concert stand out songs were definitely Angele Dei & From a Distance - Rocco in particular I found his voice just got stronger and stronger as the concert went on - especially on the sustained notes

- A real shame for the boys but the sound quality wasn’t great on Stay with Me - Taichi’s high notes weren’t very audible at all and Oliver’s was intermittent throughout unfortunately. I felt the sound quality was better in the 2nd half - less feedback etc from the microphones.

- Overall I enjoyed the 2nd half more-key songs were I am the Day, Salva Me and Wayfaring Stranger with the respective soloists doing brilliant jobs on all of them!

- The encore...wow! Do not stand was beautiful and so impressive! Gabe and Leo were really fantastic!

- On that note, Leo really impressed me throughout the show! I didn’t know his name at the beginning but he caught my eye with his smiley face and high notes so a quick look up on here at the interval told me who I was watching! His supporting notes through do not stand just rounded off the show perfectly for him I felt!

- Others I found to be great were Rocco (as mentioned earlier) and Taichi - both fantastic throughout

- It was great to see the Mini Boys, and as others have said it seems Daniel will be a confident performer in the future! I had ?Nicolas in front of me throughout and he was shuffling around the whole time! So much so that his neighbour was appearing to be getting annoyed with him, nudging him occasionally!! I think all the mini boys were exhausted-there were a lot of yawns and tired looking faces at the end (I even saw Peter stifle a couple of yawns!) it’s such a long day for them doing a concert on a Friday-fair play!

Anyway I think that’s the main points! As always, I’m sorry not to have spoken to any of you in person but I’m always way more nervous than I expect to be and don’t know what you all look like!! I’m just glad I can have these convos afterwards with you all - my poor husbands sick of hearing me ramble about the little details!! So thanks 😊

Until next time! I don’t think we will make Ely but hopefully won’t be too long this time!
Danie :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Just for completeness I will list the boys and set list for the concert:

Marc Alveres
Ethan Barron
Leo Barron
Nathaniel Bates-Fisher
Louis Boon
Emanuelle Borrelli
Merlin Brouwer
Benedict Bywater
Cassius Collard
Gabriel Collins
Samuel-Francis Collins
Joseph Cranitch
Tadgh Fitzgerald
Johhny Gardner
Alexander Gula
Adam Izghouti
Peter Kielty
Isaac London
Gregor Lumsden
Allesandro Mackinnon-Botti
Alexandre Menuet
Alexander Montoro
Mathias Montoro
Oliver Mycka
Arthur Palmer
Neo Parson
Koji Shinokubo
Taichi Shinokubo
Jack Spicha
Camden Stewart
Laurence Taylor
Nicholas Taylor
Rocco Tesei
Romeo Tesei
Calam Virk Tamana
Oliver Watt-Rodriguez
Benjamin Wevill
Daniel White
Victor Wiggin
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Set list:

Do You Hear W hat I Hear
Sanctus
Gaudete
Angele Dei
From A Distance
Carol Of The Bells
How Great Thou Art
Stay With Me
Dies Irae
Joyful Joyful

I Am The Day
I'm Dreaming Of Home
San Damiano
Salva Me
Amazing Grace
Orinoco Flow
Wayfaring Stranger
Smile
Libera

Do Not Stand At My Grave
In Dulci Jubilo
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Thank you John, I always enjoy reading your concert reviews.

I can only wish I was able to attend, the surprises and seeing the newbies are always a joy to experience.

Would really love to have heard Gabe and Leo singing "Do Not Stand At My Grave." That song has a special meaning for me.
Victor C

Post by Victor C »

I had some notes jotted down right after the concert, and I will try to write a review based on it as soon as possible. However I'd like to make a couple of 'disclaimers' first:
  • My seat was FF13, it wasn't right up the front so I'm afraid that I will not be able to comment on things like the names of soloists, hopefully others will provide this information 🙂
  • This was my first ever concert, so I apologise in advance if there are any errors (please correct me!), as I can only compare the songs to what I've heard on CD and not previous concerts.
Also, if the gentleman who was next to me (FF14) happens to be on this forum, it would be greatly appreciated if he would kindly identify himself here. :D It was a pleasure speaking to him after the concert!

In the mean time, here are some photos I took from Friday: (they will also be gradually uploaded to my Instagram page)
20171201_181332.jpg
20171201_181332.jpg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 1769 times
20171201_181332.jpg
20171201_181332.jpg (3.99 MiB) Viewed 1769 times
The cathedral, just after the last service before the concert.
20171201_181835.jpg
20171201_181835.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1769 times
20171201_181835.jpg
20171201_181835.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1769 times
The busy Victoria Street, Cardinal Place and the 90 Victoria St office building provide quite a stark contrast...
20171201_181936.jpg
20171201_181936.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 1769 times
20171201_181936.jpg
20171201_181936.jpg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 1769 times
Some fine details on the front of the cathedral.
Victor C

Post by Victor C »

Here are some photos of the inside of the cathedral:
20171201_194403.jpg
The architecture was just gorgeous and I certainly want to visit the cathedral again!
20171201_194403.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 1768 times
The architecture was just gorgeous and I certainly want to visit the cathedral again!
20171201_194403.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 1768 times
20171201_194700.jpg
A bit closer up, shows more of the beautiful details.
20171201_194700.jpg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 1768 times
20171201_194700.jpg (4.93 MiB) Viewed 1768 times
20171201_194910.jpg
Final close-up of the stage. I guess this was what the view from the front seats was like (?)
20171201_194910.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 1768 times
Final close-up of the stage. I guess this was what the view from the front seats was like (?)
20171201_194910.jpg (3.73 MiB) Viewed 1768 times