London Concert - 1 December 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: London Concert - 1 December 2017

Post by fan_de_LoK »

dani wrote:It's amazing when you look at how many seats have already been sold :)
You are right Dani, there are more seats sold than last year at the same time :)
I kept the sales numbers from last year so I can compare efficiently.

In 2016, at the end of the 1st day, the premiums + General seats (not counting the sides) were sold at 69.7%
In 2017, at the same time we are at 82.3%

If including the obstructed view sides, 2016: 46.2%, 2017: 52.9%.
danny-bulgaria

Post by danny-bulgaria »

Nooo! I have missed it. I didn't expect them to start selling tickets so early... It feels bad... If anyone have a a spare premium ticket, please let me know.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:00 am">6 years ago</span>
dani wrote:It's amazing when you look at how many seats have already been sold :)
You are right Dani, there are more seats sold than last year at the same time :)

In 2016, at the end of the 1st day, the premiums + General seats (not counting the sides) were sold at 69.7%

That is significant. Thank you for the detailed analysis; numbers make everything so much more concrete. :D

From an anecdotal perspective we are seeing more new fans from continental Europe on Libera Dreams as well as more of them willing to travel to London annually for this particular show too. This is good for Libera.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Thank you for keeping such records as it's interesting to read stuff like this :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:40 am">6 years ago</span>

That is significant. Thank you for the detailed analysis; numbers make everything so much more concrete. :D

From an anecdotal perspective we are seeing more new fans from continental Europe on Libera Dreams as well as more of them willing to travel to London annually for this particular show too. This is good for Libera.

It this trend continues - fan_de_LoK, what does your bookkeeping say for 2015? - I think it's time for Libera to generally take a 2nd Christmas concert into account, if St. George's remains their venue for that concert; on two consecutive evenings or with one day between them.

I think that they could achieve a good capacity utilisaton for both concerts, because a) many of us would attend both concerts and b) I know that some people stopped trying to place an order, when they saw that their seats would be too far in the back.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:54 am">6 years ago</span> It this trend continues - fan_de_LoK, what does your bookkeeping say for 2015? - I think it's time for Libera to generally take a 2nd Christmas concert into account, if St. George's remains their venue for that concert; on two consecutive evenings or with one day between them.

I think that they could achieve a good capacity utilisaton for both concerts, because a) many of us would attend both concerts and b) I know that some people stopped trying to place an order, when they saw that their seats would be too far in the back.
Yes, definitely a second Christmas concert would be a very good idea. I think, however, that it would not really fully solve the ticket problem, as probably many of us would like to attend both concerts. I would not miss such an opportunity to see two Libera concerts in a row moreover that it would be possible during the same trip.
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

i've only been to about 10 concerts, but it's enough to realize that it's always the same people in the premium seats. The same people that try to buy tickets in buldge to then give them to other premium ticket junkies=)
I don't care, since i'm a fan too and i sit in the premium area too, but to be honest, we're all a bit selfish, since a newbie has nearly no chance to get good tickets! especially if the venue is less then perfect like st. george.
Last edited by ste1701fan on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Last year, the day before the concert the booking was at 99.8% for Premium & General, and 97.5% with the sides.

I'm not sure that two consecutive concerts can both be booked at 100%. Not speaking about the costs to have all the equipments and technicals staff rented for two days, and not speaking about the trouble it would create for the services on the Saturday.

A real improvement for the Christmas concert would be to have a bigger and wider venue, but it looks to be difficult to do.

As most of us have already lived it, it is not questionable that St George is too narrow. Most of the public has to sit too far away from the stage, not speaking about the restricted views on the sides.

As you say, the fact to not have a decent view to the stage may discourage some people to attend the concert and to book tickets.

Libera take care of the public by installing some big screens, and it helps a lot, but of course it's not the same as living the concert with your naked eye.

The modern churches in the US that hosted some of the concerts this Summer were much more adapt for a concert, everyone had a good view to the stage, from a reasonable distance. It's true these churches look more to theatres halk than churches, though.

This kind of venue would be great for libera for concerts UK concerts, but I doubt there is such modern church in London area. And renting a real theatre hall would probably be too costly....
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm">6 years ago</span> I think, however, that it would not really fully solve the ticket problem, as probably many of us would like to attend both concerts.
Attending both concerts was one of my argument pro, not con, to get the cathedral filled. :wink:

I think for the ticket battle (or is it a war already? :lol: ) it would be alright, because you can't order tickets for both concerts at the same time. It would give everyone a chance to have a better seat today and a worse seat tomorrow, but ok, would that be so terrible for one of two concerts?!

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:37 pm">6 years ago</span> since a newbie has nearly no chance to get good tickets!
Never give up! In Ely last year (quite a newbie, 3rd concert), I made it to the front row ... on my own, during the ordinary ticket selling process. :D :D :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm">6 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm">6 years ago</span> I think, however, that it would not really fully solve the ticket problem, as probably many of us would like to attend both concerts.
Attending both concerts was one of my argument pro, not con, to get the cathedral filled. :wink:

I think for the ticket battle (or is it a war already? :lol: ) it would be alright, because you can't order tickets for both concerts at the same time. It would give everyone a chance to have a better seat today and a worse seat tomorrow, but ok, would that be so terrible for one of two concerts?!
Agree, but it is no argument for making the ticket purchase easier. Your idea about getting one better and one worse seat assumes, that everybody buys own tickets only. I can easily imagine strategies like: "I buy tickets for both of us for the first concert and you buy them for the second one".

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:39 pm">6 years ago</span> A real improvement for the Christmas concert would be to have a bigger and wider venue, but it looks to be difficult to do.
Yes, a bigger venue would be better for sure. On the other hand, where can Libera sound better than in a beautiful cathedral? (Well, I haven't been to St.Georges yet, so I can't tell if it is beautiful or not :) ).

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm">6 years ago</span> Never give up! In Ely last year (quite a newbie, 3rd concert), I made it to the front row ... on my own, during the ordinary ticket selling process. :D :D :D
Yes, me too (this was my very first concert and I got seats in the third row). But the Ely cathedral is much bigger (I think) and the overall attendance was not so big probably due to a remote location.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

The only way I can see a bigger venue is if they move it out of London and the big drew for the Xmas concert is the fact it's London around Christmas.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:37 pm">6 years ago</span> i've only been to about 10 concerts, but it's enough to realize that it's always the same people in the premium seats. The same people that try to buy tickets in buldge to then give them to other premium ticket junkies=)
I don't care, since i'm a fan too and i sit in the premium area too, but to be honest, we're all a bit selfish, since a newbie has nearly no chance to get good tickets! especially if the venue is less then perfect like st. george.

You could say the same for any group so it's not specific to Libera. Also I only get to see them twice a year so why shouldn't I get to seat where I want to?

As a fan base we are very generous I find so if a new fan was at the concert and really wanted a premium seat I'm sure somebody would offer them one if they have a spare ticket.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:03 pm">6 years ago</span> Your idea about getting one better and one worse seat assumes, that everybody buys own tickets only. I can easily imagine strategies like: "I buy tickets for both of us for the first concert and you buy them for the second one".
Well done, the strategy is in the world now. :lol: I confess that I didn't think about that, innocent newbie that I am. :oops:

andmar wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:03 pm">6 years ago</span> Yes, me too (this was my very first concert and I got seats in the third row). But the Ely cathedral is much bigger (I think) and the overall attendance was not so big probably due to a remote location.
Yes, but it is not impossible to get a good seat, only because you are a newbie. I understood that way, what Stefan said. (In fact, Ely ticket selling went extremely slow, but the front row seats were quickly gone nevertheless.)

I would not be happy about solving the problem with one bigger venue instead of two smaller ones. I still feel Libera's music to be intimate or at least associated to a church and, for their mystic sound, preferably in an "old" church. I find a mere concert hall too cold. And big modern churches ... well, the atmosphere is simply not the same. I consider this aspect as very important for the overall experience of a Libera concert. For me, it definitely is.

To not disturb the Saturday services, maybe they could have two concerts on Thursday and Friday. And as for the cost: The earn money for the 2nd concert, too, so that would ease it?

I certainly don't know enough about their logistics nor about the local circumstances. Maybe St. George's would even say: no way. :wink: But how can you improve something if you never even start to discuss ways? If I were Libera, I would at least think about such a possibility, given the fact that the number of their fans rises and a Christmas concert is exactly something for a smaller or, to close the circle, more "intimate" venue.
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 pm">6 years ago</span>
Wasn't the concert last year practically sold out one the date of the show? I believe that a repeat is guaranteed. It's understandable actually: it's a Christmas concert, it's in London, the choristers families attend, etc.
I'm guessing that some of the front premium seating was reserved for families, and so never appeared for sale.
dani wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:29 pm">6 years ago</span> The only way I can see a bigger venue is if they move it out of London and the big drew for the Xmas concert is the fact it's London around Christmas.
I attended my first Libera concert in Epsom Playhouse theatre a few years back, so it's perfectly possible for Libera to book a similar venue again. It's close to London so Libera families can easily commute. IMHO a theatre venue is ideal for viewing from all seats, although I'm not musically gifted enough to know whether the acoustics are up to standard. However it's still my favourite venue.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Two concerts? Does that not interfere with their studies? My understanding is that English schools are very much in session when the December concert takes place and thus the boys are actually arriving at the Church immediately after their school day is done. Because the concert is on a Friday, this likely does not interfere with them completing homework or engaging in their other activities; such as those who play sports. They have, after all, the full weekend for such things.

If the second concert were on a weekday then it might disrupt other activities as well as schoolwork because it would require them to stay up rather late on a school night with no break. That is likely a bad option.

So then it would have to be on Saturday. But wait, if the second concert were on Saturday then they would be singing three days in a row (Friday, Saturday, and their regular church services on Sunday). Though this is feasible, it may create interference in those very same activities the choristers engage in outside of singing. They only maintain this type of tough schedule on formal tours when school and other activities are not a factor.

Even if one of these options is no problem for the choristers, or their parents, it may very well be a problem for Libera staff all of whom have other, full-time occupations.

I just do not see it happening and must agree with FDL that a larger venue is the true alternative.