Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Post by Yorkie »

Libera have announced a UK concert on their website.

https://libera.org.uk/news/spring-concert-announced/
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Post by Surpinto »

It looks like a beautiful cathedral. Who from this forum is going? I bet it will be an excellent concert.

theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

Accommodation booked :D ! Now the dreaded scramble for tickets :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

I'm very happy with the choice of cathedral. I had first heard of Ely cathedral when I was looking at The Choirboys. The sound stunning, and the lady chapel has a 7 second echo. The sound will probably be amazing at the concert. I don't think Libera have performed there before, so it will be neat to see the concert.
Sjh

Post by Sjh »

Darn but I committed to something else for that weekend Monday, with flights and hotels booked I will have to miss hope next concert will be Xmas one in London providing they do one.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

What a amazing venue for them to perform in :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Cool! I might actually be able to make it :) It is indeed a stunning venue and I recall a video (cannot find it again though) of Aksel Rykkvin singing Handel there with a wonderful echo, so the acoustics are promising.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

It certainly is a majestic venue for Libera to perform at, although the echo can cause some issues and the sound engineers will be utilising all their skills to get the balancing and distribution right for all who attend. This article http://www.psneurope.com/ely-cathedrals ... o-tackled/ explains the expertise needed to address large concerts at Ely Cathdral.

With the 3rd longest nave in the UK and if Libera use the north and south transepts for seating they could attain over 1,000+ for their concert.

elycath.JPG
elycath.JPG (180.94 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
elycath.JPG
elycath.JPG (180.94 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
http://stives-choral.org.uk/Ely%20Cathe ... 202016.pdf

Personally, I'll be working on Saturday but do have the opportunity if everything plays nice to bomb it down the A1(M) in 3hrs and arrive just in time. Something for me to ponder. Anyhow for those lucky one's who can go, it should make for quite a special evening.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

The concert now appears on the events list of Ely Cathedral

Libera Concert
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

It says on the cathedral website:

Tickets available from 13 March ONLINE at tickets.elycathedral.org or from ELY CATHEDRAL BOX OFFICE 01353 660349 (Mon-Sat 9.30am-4pm)

No prices are mentioned.
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Their website in general and the ticket purchasing procedure in particular seems to be a nightmare to negotiate :( . The few events I've clicked through don't show specific seating either - just areas in general. I hope thing get a little more specific before Monday. I don't want to go back the old days when it was necessary to queue outside the venue for many hours to get a good seat in the allocated area. I wonder too at whether ticketing will go "live" automatically as we have become used to. I rather suspect this is all going to be dome manually and thus a more leisurely approach to opening the box Office. :| .

I really do hope I'm wrong :oops:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
j8000

Post by j8000 »

theforestdweller wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:06 pm">7 years ago</span> I don't want to go back the old days when it was necessary to queue outside the venue for many hours to get a good seat in the allocated area.
From the seating plan posted by JimmyRiddle and also this page about an upcoming concert in July, it seems that only the cheapest seats are unreserved, so there should be no need to queue.

It seems you get allocated a specific seat within your price band going from front to back.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Libera posted an update with respect to the sale of tickets.

Tickets to go on sale 10:00 on March 13. https://tickets.elycathedral.org/

Update: Per a tweet from Libera they are issuing a correction about the ticket sale time: the correct ticket sale time will be 9:30 on March 13.
Last edited by Surpinto on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theforestdweller
Silver Member

... and so the confusion begins - the Ely Cathedral website (still) states 09:30 for 'phone and website booking :?

Edited to add: There has now been a correction on the official Libera site - tickets on sale 09:30 :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I'm having a problem creating an account for their online ticket system. I keep getting a message saying " - Field is not in the right format". I tried changing my phone number (which is one of the required fields) to a UK format but to no effect. Any suggestions?
Also, I can't see what payment methods they accept. Does anyone know?
If an online purchase will not work I can always call. I wonder if they will then hold the tickets until the day of the concert.