Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Post by andmar »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:13 pm">7 years ago</span> In my opinion what penalize the sales for away fans is more due to Ely's location.
You are probably right :(.

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:11 pm">7 years ago</span> I like the thought of a lovely small town, a very old, huge cathedral and Libera. But ok, I come from another country ...
On the other hand, I fully agree with filiarheni. Without a Libera concert I probably wouldn't ever come to Ely, but now I am really happy to visit the old city and Cambridge and some of the English countryside at the same occasion. England is not only London. But, OK, I come from another country as well.

Anyway, I hope, the ticket sales will go better in the last days and we will be able to enjoy a wonderful concert.
niels

Post by niels »

perhaps it is also the time of year? I'd really like to go there but with my work I can't. :(
I hope they do a tour in Europe or England in the months August or September so i can see them :D

but I do hope for them now that more tickets will be sold. They deserve that.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:13 pm">7 years ago</span> In my opinion what penalize the sales for away fans is more due to Ely's location.
Hopefully the last minute sales will be huge ☺
Perhaps last minute sales will be similar to Christchurch where they accounted for probably almost half of the eventual full house. Cambridge (population 100,000) is only a 30 minute drive away so I hope the word is getting out there.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

We will be performing eight songs from the album at our concert in Ely Cathedral on 29th April
https://libera.org.uk/news/new-cd-announced-hope/
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

So should we have a guessing game and see who can get the 8 songs right ?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks Jimmy :)

The International regular CD will have 14 tracks while the Japanese regular CD has 15.
I wonder which track will not be present.
Will the missing one be Alex G's new 'Wayfaring Stranger', as on the Japanese CD-DVD ?
Or one of the song that was originally more oriented to the Japanese market ?

Anyway, OK Dani, let's have a contest game about to guess which eight songs will be sung in Ely :)

As reminder, here are the 15 known songs from the Japanese regular CD :
  • 01. Salve Regina (solo: Rocco)
    02. San Damiano
    03. Smile (solos: Gabriel & Alessandro)
    04. Stabat Mater (solo: Isaac)
    05. Dreaming of Home (solo: Camden)
    06. Angel (solo: Isaac)
    07. From A Distance (solo: Alex M)
    08. Angele Dei (solo: Alex M)
    09. Benedictus Deus (solo: TDL)
    10. The Three Ravens (solo: Gregor with Alessandro & Alex M)
    11. Hymn to Mary (solo: Isaac)
    12. Venite Adoremus (solo: Merlin)
    13. Home (solo: Ciaran)
    14. Jupiter (solos : Isaac & Taichi)
    15. Wayfaring Stranger (solo: Alex G)

• Based on the recent 2016 concerts songs, I guess we should have in Ely:
    - San Damiano
    - Angel
    - Angele Dei

• Based on the new CD promotion, teasers and the videos they recorded, we will probably have:
    - Salve Regina
    - Smile
    - From a Distance

• Based on the fact that the soloist has changed to a younger member, meaning Robert has invested training time to keep that song sung:
    - Dreaming of Home
    - Wayfaring Stranger
That's eight, this is my bet :)

I have trouble with The Three Ravens....
It would be wonderful to have it sung in concert but then it would be 9 songs in my list.
Having to choose between The Three Ravens and From a Distance, I feel the second sounds closer to a libera concert than the first... but I would be delighted to be wrong and have the Three Ravens sung live.
andmar
Silver Member

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by andmar »

I am afraid, the new Wayfaring Stranger will be missing as it is not present on the Japan DVD version.
I think following scenario may be quite possible:
- The Three Ravens will be sung,
- Wayfaring Stranger will also be sung, but not counting as a song from the CD.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

This is hard so here we go

Salve Regina , San Damiano , Smile , Dreaming of Home , From A Distance , Angele Dei, The Three Ravens And
Wayfaring Stranger

And if Wayfaring isn't included because its a bonus track I would also add Venite Adoremus because Merlin deserves a solo

I excluded Angel as Isaac's version is on the album and I figure he won't be able to perform it.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 pm">7 years ago</span> Thanks Jimmy :)
Anyway, OK Dani, let's have a contest game about to guess which eight songs will be sung in Ely :)
Well if it is strictly "from the Album" we can exclude any solo by Isaac or Tom and probably also Alessandro and Ciaran who I suspect will have joined the back row by now. If I could choose which song was dropped from the international CD it would be "Angel".

That leaves:
1.Salve Regina
2.San Damiano
3.Dreaming of Home
4.From a Distance
5.Angele Dei
6.Venite Adoremus
7.Wayfaring Stranger

I'm hoping that "Three Ravens" where Alessandro is a secondary soloist might be number 8.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

dani wrote:I excluded Angel as Isaac's version is on the album and I figure he won't be able to perform it.
Humm... this is true but remember that during the 2016 concerts, the soloist position on 'Angel' moved.
It changed from Isaac to Alex M and then in St. George the song was performed by Camden.
The fact that Robert invests training time to keep the song performed despite the soloists changes is a sign that the song is important for him.

Also, I checked that song 'Angel' history in concerts: since its première at the Osaka USJ concert in August 2015, 'Angel' was sung at each of the concerts that libera performed, meaning 17 concerts in a row, with 3 different soloists.

With such continuity and with the song being present on both 'Hope' Japanese CDs versions, it seems to me veeeeeeery likely that 'Angel' will still be performed at the Ely concert :)
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

andmar wrote: <span title="Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 pm">7 years ago</span> I am afraid, the new Wayfaring Stranger will be missing as it is not present on the Japan DVD version.
I think following scenario may be quite possible:
- The Three Ravens will be sung,
- Wayfaring Stranger will also be sung, but not counting as a song from the CD.
As the missing song is Jupiter, my previous suspection is ruined. But actually, I am happy that Wayfaring Stranger is on the CD, as I would love to hear Alex G singing a solo.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

andmar wrote:There is some information about the album on the Invisible Hands Music page:

https://shop-invisiblehands.co.uk/colle ... ibera-hope

The song missing from the international release is Jupiter
Thanks for the update :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Ok Patrick I will take out Dreaming of Home and put in Angel.

I cannot see Camden having two solos so if he sung Angel at the last concert then I can't see Dreaming of Home.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Jumping back once more to the soundcheck / doors closing matter: My Ely host is a cathedral guide, and she told me the following:

"Rehearsals and sound checks usually happen whilst the cathedral is open to the public, sometimes with ropes and sidesmen to restrict access to the zone the choir is using. - It seems that we are not expecting to close the cathedral before Libera's concert. The cathedral remains open to visitors and access to the area(s) in use is controlled by ropes, gates and our teams of vergers and stewards."

I keep fingers crossed that we are really so lucky! I would love to be inside during the soundcheck. :D

(Secret wish of mine is to see a normal rehearsal (which will never happen, I'm sure, but this would feel like a first prize) and a dress rehearsal).
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm">7 years ago</span> Jumping back once more to the soundcheck / doors closing matter: My Ely host is a cathedral guide, and she told me the following:

"Rehearsals and sound checks usually happen whilst the cathedral is open to the public, sometimes with ropes and sidesmen to restrict access to the zone the choir is using. - It seems that we are not expecting to close the cathedral before Libera's concert. The cathedral remains open to visitors and access to the area(s) in use is controlled by ropes, gates and our teams of vergers and stewards."

I keep fingers crossed that we are really so lucky! I would love to be inside during the soundcheck. :D
Wow. Sounds like the chances for experiencing a Libera soundcheck are quite big :D .