Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Post by filiarheni »

I was wondering too and am very curious. Maybe Libera will have had the soundcheck before the evensong.
From what I have seen so far, they always have a time of rest and silence (and some food) before the concert.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:18 pm">7 years ago</span> Maybe Libera will have had the soundcheck before the evensong.
I don't think so. The cathedral is normally open to visitors before the Evensong and there is no announcement about any closure on the cathedral's web site. Unless Libera does the soundcheck despite the visitors. Well, let's get surprised. :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm">7 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:18 pm">7 years ago</span> Maybe Libera will have had the soundcheck before the evensong.
I don't think so. The cathedral is normally open to visitors before the Evensong and there is no announcement about any closure on the cathedral's web site. Unless Libera does the soundcheck despite the visitors. Well, let's get surprised. :)
From past experience they will have a sound check/rehearsal and it will almost certainly be before the 5.30pm Evensong (they normally do the sound check earlier in the afternoon). By preference they will close the building whilst they do the rehearsal, however sometime the venue won't allow that and they do it with people present. I have been lucky enough to experience this twice (in 30+ concerts) in Romsey and Chester.

I suspect it might also happen at Ely because there is an admission fee for people to go inside the Cathedral (if you are sightseeing rather than just praying/attending Evensong) and I would expect that they would be reluctant to lose the income on the Saturday of a Bank Holiday weekend.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:44 am">7 years ago</span>
andmar wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm">7 years ago</span>
From past experience they will have a sound check/rehearsal and it will almost certainly be before the 5.30pm Evensong (they normally do the sound check earlier in the afternoon). By preference they will close the building whilst they do the rehearsal, however sometime the venue won't allow that and they do it with people present. I have been lucky enough to experience this twice (in 30+ concerts) in Romsey and Chester.

I suspect it might also happen at Ely because there is an admission fee for people to go inside the Cathedral (if you are sightseeing rather than just praying/attending Evensong) and I would expect that they would be reluctant to lose the income on the Saturday of a Bank Holiday weekend.
Thanks Yorkie.

If this comes true, it will be a fantastic and rare opportunity to see Libera at work.
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

Ticket sales seem very slow - I've just counted and make it 327 sold to date :?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
danny-bulgaria

Post by danny-bulgaria »

theforestdweller wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:32 pm">7 years ago</span> Ticket sales seem very slow - I've just counted and make it 327 sold to date :?
The location I guess, I was having lots of thoughts about going as well... I just knew they won't sell out, although I think they sold out the Guildford concert if I remember correct back in 2015, so it might not be the reason...
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

theforestdweller wrote: <span title="Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:32 pm">7 years ago</span> Ticket sales seem very slow - I've just counted and make it 327 sold to date :?
I make it 595 at the moment, which to be fair even at this stage for a location such as Ely is a very decent turnout. Libera have held concerts in more popularised areas of UK such as Edinburgh, Chester, Bristol etc... and not achieved these numbers.
280ElySide.JPG
280ElySide.JPG (57.6 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
280ElySide.JPG
280ElySide.JPG (57.6 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
156ElyPrem.JPG
156ElyPrem.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
156ElyPrem.JPG
156ElyPrem.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
350ElyJHH.JPG
350ElyJHH.JPG (67.07 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
350ElyJHH.JPG
350ElyJHH.JPG (67.07 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
..for some reason I cannot add more than 3 files, so the last one is JJ-ZZ (Total Seats 238). All in a ll a maximum capacity of 1,024 seats if all sold. I don't think section JJ-ZZ will be required at this stage.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:59 pm">7 years ago</span>
I make it 595 at the moment,
Are you counting the side seats? Will they be in use? I think they might have been marked as unavailable from day one.
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

I think you'll fine that the ones you labelled "280ElySide" were never available, so by my count still only 327 to date :(
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

john45 wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:54 pm">7 years ago</span>Are you counting the side seats? Will they be in use? I think they might have been marked as unavailable from day one.
theforestdweller wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:58 pm">7 years ago</span> I think you'll fine that the ones you labelled "280ElySide" were never available, so by my count still only 327 to date :(
Oh dear, my mistake if that's the case. I thought the seats in the transepts were snapped up quickly by the hardcore fans. I stand corrected and you are correct with your 327 count. Hopefully there will be a late surge of ticket sales in the next 2 weeks.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Not important at all but on my side I see a current total of 315 (42.3%) rather than 327 :wink:
(my Excel sheet)
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

I visit the UK several times a year, but unfortunately until now my visits have never managed to coincide with Libera's concert schedule. For example, this year I will be arriving in London one month after the concert at Ely Cathedral. I would be delighted to be able to take my family with me to see Libera (we could boost the ticket sales at Ely by four!). I continue to hope that eventually I'll be able to attend a Libera concert in the UK. Meanwhile I have fond memories of watching an earlier generation of Libera sing at a wonderful concert in Toronto in 2011. :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Libera has just tweeted: "We are preparing for our Ely Cathedral concert; the first chance to hear songs from our new album 'Hope' which is coming out soon!"

I can't wait!!

And I would like do multiply 400 times to get the cathedral filled. Are the tickets too expensive?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The tickets price in Ely looks usual for a libera concert in UK.
The best seats are 2 to 4 times less expensive than a concert in Japan or in the USA.

In my opinion what penalize the sales for away fans is more due to Ely's location.

The town is a bit away from London and have a very limited offer of hotels. This increases the cost of the travellers.

About the locals, Ely is a small city so the attendance is naturally limited. We don't know the kind of advertisment that the Cathedral does, possibly it's limited to some flyers inside the cathedral, so the concert may remain unknown at the Shire level.
A big banner visible from a busy road would be a great help.

Many people may learn about the concert while visiting the Cathedral, but tourists don't remain for long in Ely...

Hopefuly the last minute sales will be huge ☺
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Next time they choose a location like that, we should go on a pre-concert trip all together and do all the advertisement for Libera. The church will be filled then. :lol:

I like the thought of a lovely small town, a very old, huge cathedral and Libera. But ok, I come from another country ...