Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: Ely Cathedral 29th April 2017

Post by andmar »

I finally returned home after my short vacation in the UK and I'd like to share my impressions from my very first Libera concert.
I am writing the review prior to reading other ones, so please apologize, if some details are repeated.

When I arrived to Ely and had a city walk I was slightly disappointed by the lack of announcements for the Libera concert. Previously, Filiarheni reported that she couldn’t find a single Libera poster in Cambridge. It was not much better in Ely. I saw only one big poster at the Cathedral’s entrance and 3 or 4 small ones in some shops’ windows. What more, when I attended a guided tour to the Cathedral’s Octagon Tower on Saturday at noon, one of the tourists asked the guide about the concert and the guide actually didn’t know too much either. At that moment I stepped forward and did a little advertisement for Libera and their concert. People got really interested when I said I had come such a long way from Poland just to attend the concert. Hopefully some of them decided to attend too.

The venue for the concert was perfect. One could not imagine a better place for a Libera concert than that beautiful, massive, gothic cathedral. I think, Libera’s music fits perfectly into the medieval interior and together with beautiful lighting they provide the best possible ambience to enjoy the concert – much better than any concert hall or an open-air stage. On the other hand it may be a real challenge for the sound engineers to ensure a perfect sound for the whole audience.

On Saturday afternoon we were lucky to experience Libera’s soundcheck, as the Cathedral was open to public. At about 3.30 p.m. the boys entered the stage in their blue shirts. It was great for me to see them all live from such a short distance. I noticed, that many of the older boys were missing. Actually, there were only Isaac and Alessandro there, accompanied by younger ones and many of the previous mini-boys, who became regular choir members. The boys sang five songs and did some voice exercises. Some of the younger ones practiced their speeches too. I had the impression, that some of the boys were somehow tired. While stretching the arms may be considered a warm-up for singing, yawning was quite possibly something else. I was wondering, if they had such a long rehearsal or maybe a party the previous night. The soundcheck was the first taster of the concert to come and I was the more excited.

The soundcheck was short – only about 30 minutes, as there was another choir waiting for a rehearsal before the Evensong. I managed to quickly move to the side door and could see Libera walking out of the Cathedral. It was so nice for me to see them all just a few meters away.

I am a new Libera fan and I was so happy to meet other fans in person. So, I met Filiarheni, fan_de_LoK, maartendas, Yorkie and few others, whose nicks I am not quite sure about. Thank you so much for your warm welcome. It was really very nice to chat with you and to exchange thoughts and impressions.

Before the concert we could purchase the official programs – normal and pre-signed by the boys. Then, it was obvious, that a M&G is not planned this time. The concert started as planned at 7.30 pm with a beautiful flute melody. While the flutist was on the stage, Libera walked in and the concert went on with San Damiano. To be honest, I can’t remember many details from the first part. I was sitting in the third row, close enough to hear the voices coming directly from the stage. I was just listening and watching and experiencing the music all over myself. I was overwhelmed by the sounds and I just let them flow through my soul and hart. It was so very special. I am only asking myself, why I discovered Libera so late.

What I remember from the first part is Sacris Solemnis with Taichi on the vocalizes. I liked the song very much. And Taichi seemed to be the happiest boy on the stage – always with a smile and making the impression of enjoying the singing very much. It was such a joy to watch him sing. Other boys looked more concentrated and some of them – especially the youngest ones made the impression of being nervous and having a stage-fright. Robert Prizeman tried to make them smile, sometimes by putting his baton into the mouth. I liked Wonderful World with Gregor’s solo and Libera with Alex G and Rocco as soloists. They all did a great job. I noticed as well, that Alex M did not sing any solos and remained with Alessandro and Isaac in the back. Well, the voice break must have caught him recently. Good, that we will be able to hear him sing solos on the new CD ‘Hope’.

The second part started with Dies Irae – an old song, which has not been sung by Libera for a while. It is a beautiful song. Then it went directly to Joyful Joyful – without a break between the songs. Very interesting. In the meantime, I noticed, that Mr. Prizeman showed a sheet of paper to the choir from time to time. I can only assume it was a sign to smile and/or look happy, as some younger boys still looked somehow a bit nervous. I enjoyed Angel with Camden as a soloist very much. Of course, I was used to Isaac’s voice at this song, but I liked Camden’s rendition very much as well. Camden has a different voice, and a beautiful one in my perception. An then came Salva Me with Taichi on the high Salvas. What a joy to watch him sing so effortlessly and happily. I hope we will hear more solos from Taichi soon. He is amazing.

The next song was Amazing Grace – a beautiful protestant hymn, yet sung so often everywhere and by everyone, so people could be somehow fed up with it. But not, when sung by Libera. It is amazing, how a well-known and overdone song can be made interesting again. Huge thanks to Robert Prizeman and Libera for this.

After Sempiterna came two songs, I was especially waiting for. The first was Wayfaring Stranger with Alex G as a soloist. I wanted to hear Alex sing a solo very much. He has been in Libera for so long and actually he has sung only a few solos. Well, I was really impressed. Alex has now such a strong, deep voice. Very beautiful. I still hope, we will be able to hear more solos from him, before his voice breaks. I also liked it very much, when the song ended and Alex stood there in the middle surrounded by the older boys: Alex M, Camden, Alessandro and Isaac, with the other ones on both sides. This was actually the only moment, when Isaac was in the front. Alessandro was also in the front at the next song: Smile. Actually, he stood few steps behind Gabe, who sang the solo part. I loved the song and especially the parts, when Gabe sang a solo accompanied only by Alessandro on the second part.

Then came Exultate with Merlin as a soloist and the concert came suddenly to an end. What? How? Why was it so short? Well, I looked at the watch and realized, that the concert had lasted for 2 hours – it was already 9.30pm! This is unbelievable how the flow of time can be influenced by Libera!

Libera received a well-deserved standing ovation. We were happy to hear one encore. They sang Libera again (or actually only a part of it). The concert was irrevocably over. As the boys were leaving the stage, I noticed four of them going in another direction – towards the main entrance to the Cathedral. I thought, they wanted to meet some family members who were possibly present in the audience. But to our surprise, they appeared few minutes later handing out flyers promoting the new CD ‘Hope’. So, we had a chance for a ‘mini’ (or rather ‘nano’) M&G! The boys were Emanuele and Arthur plus two younger ones, whose names I don’t know (yet). I thanked them for singing a great concert and told them it had been worth coming such a long way to see them live. Another surprise was to see Finn Wood, but not on the stage. He was sitting in the audience, apparently with his parents, and watching his little brother Theo sing.

It was a great evening. I am so happy to have been at the concert and I am looking forward to the next one. I am also very happy to have met other fans and have chatted with them. Thank you again. It was a great day for me. And I am, for sure, not cured from the Libera-disease, quite the opposite.

Thank you for reading. I know, it has been a long post, but I am happy to have expressed my thoughts (which, BTW is not always easy in English for me).

And one more surprise at the very end. On the next day – on Sunday – I visited Cambridge. While I was visiting the King’s College Chapel, I was noticed by Yorkie, who happened to be there at the same time. Then, Yorkie said, there were three Libera boys visiting the Chapel with their families as well. In fact! They were (at least I think so) Oliver W-R, Alexandre M and one more little Libera boy, who’s name I didn’t know. What a surprise!

So, my trip to England was more than successful. I had such a wonderful time there and got much more then I could expect. Thank you Libera, thank you Filiarheni, thank you Yorkie, thank you all I met there.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I haven’t read much of the previous reviews so far in order to not be influenced too much for my own. However, just one remark to maartendas: What A Wonderful World is not one of my favourites, although it’s beautiful without any doubt. Too often heard, probably. But reading your mere description gave me goosebumps. You did very well, very comprehensible, in fact, your descriptions are always a pleasure for me to read!

This was another amazing concert! Had I expected anything else? No, not really. However, after London in December had been so perfect, I thought that next time I'd have to lower my expectations. But this was not necessary, what a great luck!

I'm not going to write a complete report about the individual songs, because after this concert, my third, I have the feeling that I am in a kind of intermediate stage. At the first two concerts, everything was really new to me as a live experience. Then, I would rather refer to the songs themselves and less to their performance in the concert. On the other hand, I'm not experienced enough to properly see development and compare.

There are still a few things around the concert.

First, the location. What a wonderful, what a magnificent cathedral this is! I could hardly go away from there. I don't know how much time I spent there this weekend, but it was a lot. It is absolutely worth seeing! Of course, as Cologne born, I have the Cologne cathedral in mind. All who come from Cologne love their cathedral, this is true. But Ely cathedral is very special: enormously big, you can even see it from Cambridge on a clear day. And on one side beneath, it feels like the countryside! Hilly lawns, giant trees, trees in bloom, fenced meadows with cows (and country odor ;)) and right behind the dominant cathedral. Then the interior: As big as it is, the interior is bright, translucid and light, thanks to the many arches at different heights, the filigree constructions, many beautiful church windows in all colours, a high dome, etc. It seems as if it is filled with joy, and you feel cheerful in there. There is nothing monstrous, gloomy or heavy. Absolutely impressive and beautiful building in a great environment!

20170430_112533 600.jpg
20170430_112533 600.jpg (206.77 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
20170430_112533 600.jpg
20170430_112533 600.jpg (206.77 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

By the way, just a little something off-topic: You can no longer take bags or rucksacks with you when you climb the towers (only with a guided tour), since two people with rucksacks took part in the guided tour innocently and, having arrived at the top, went downwards in the somewhat unconventional way via parachutes.

Fan_de_LoK had given me the useful advice to be at the cathedral no later than 2:00 pm because Libera would probably arrive around this time. And in fact: At 2:10, it said "Mayday", the Libera bus drove through the small one-way street in front of the cathedral and stopped in a parking bay. The boys got off and were apparently very crazy about their concert, because they immediately tried to take the most direct route to the church - the one over the church wall. Air line to a certain extent. When a couple of boys start such a thing, you can imagine what the others will do. After enough of them had convinced themselves that the wall was too high, they were satisfied with the boring pavement, and this was very wise and clever, because they did not go to the cathedral, but to a building on the other side to prepare for the great event.

When it was confirmed that a public sound check would take place in the afternoon, we were already looking forward to two concerts. So to speak: two-in-one. It was not; however, there were a good series of fully sung songs, including, to my greatest pleasure, Angele Dei, awesome song.

By the way, nothing was locked by ropes or so. You have to pay entrance to get into the church, but then you could move around freely. This may have been well-intentioned, for many people sat down and listened, and in the evening, perhaps, some more listeners came to see the concert. Hopefully (I didn't check). One thing is certain: If I had never heard about Libera before and would have come into the cathedral during the sound check, I would have run to the concert in the evening!

Before the concert began, I went to the lavatory and suddenly, there was a woman beside me, who wanted to go there too and didn't know the way. So I took her with me and on our way asked her for how long she had known Libera. She smiled cheerfully and said, "I'm Gregor's mum." (Now the stupid autocorrection actually changed this into "I'm Gregor's nun". Too much "cathedral vocabulary" today, I suppose. I told her that this felt very special to me, and she seemed happy to hear that. I would have liked to compliment her about Gregor, which he highly deserved, but unfortunately, there was no occasion to say that anymore.

And then the concert, so much longed for, and yet always preferred to delay further, so that it would still lie ahead in full length. My seat was quite outside on the right side of the front row, and it was the perfect place for me, because I could see the stage, Robert's conducting and a lot of what was happening next to the stage very well. The orchestra had been placed partly on the right, partly on the left of the stage (as usual, I assume). On my side of the stage, there were keyboard (Josh) and wind instruments; strings and percussion instruments on the other side. Perhaps, it was too much for a listener in this area, so close to the instrumentalists. But I was very happy to see them so well, and I could also hear their parts clearly and at the same time listen to many details that otherwise are less distinguishable. The tonally balanced target or final result is given to me by the CDs, so that was very ok that night. The instruments did not overlay the choir, if someone is worried about this.

I was able to follow the boys' entrance from the right side from my place. They gathered behind a barred door. With them, there was someone with headphones. I don't exactly know what they were for: Was it a connection with the technical staff, or with the person on the other side, since there was no visual connection between them? In any case, the person told the children when to start, they came in from both sides at the same time and met on the stage. The second half started a bit delayed, the boys were kept standing behind the door and were not allowed to come in; Questioning looks and a little bit of concern among the instrumentalists. I have no idea about the reason, but it doesn't matter. Back to the concert - fortunately, we are still at the beginning of the concert. :wink:

Before the first song, there was a short speech as well as the usual recorded announcement that filming etc was forbidden. This time was used by a little boy in the back row - Luke Jelley, presumably - to arrange his wardrobe. It was the fight against a too short robe sleeve. With an unhappy face, he tried incessantly to pull down the right robe sleeve, which ended in the middle of the forearm and his shirt sleeve was visible, so that it would fall all the way down. A fractious matter, and the poor boy was very busy. But he was attentive immediately, when the first song, San Damiano, began without having been successful concerning that robe. After this, I did not pay attention anymore, so I cannot present a happy ending here, but it is quite possible that there was one.

Was it Sanctus? Anyway, in one of the first songs the sound got a bit strange. When the song was over, Taichi, who was favorably standing on the very right, was taken from the stage and completely newly wired in a corner next to it ... my seat really offered a lot of interesting things to watch. I don't know much about technology, but maybe someone can tell me if every child that has a microphone can be addressed individually by the technicians, in other words: If a microphone of a boy in the middle of the choir breaks down, does someone have to enter the stage and collect him or can he be informed via earphone that he has to leave the stage for a moment? Taichi could be fetched away quite discreetly and returned on stage in the same way. Very professional!

My unchallenged highlight of the evening was Angele Dei. This is such a beautiful song, as I said, just marvellous! It is quite a Libera piece, as I imagine it, and this song at the beginning of my Libera journey would have been sufficient as a starter drug. It is very characteristic of what I consider a Libera song: mystical, calm and then flourishingly developing, bilingual (although to a minimum only) and so on. I cannot even call it "listen" anymore, I only enjoyed and enjoyed the song. It literally gave me one goosebump after another, the whole song consisted of it, and for me, these are definitely the most enjoyable, most haunting and most impressive moments when I listen to music.
I was totally fascinated by this song's soloist, Rocco! Is it true that he is 10? Hopefully, because then we may count on a long Libera future lying ahead of him. He has a strikingly beautiful voice, may have sounded a bit shy, but he didn't have any reason for this at all. Exact intonation, absolutely clean (do you say that in English?), and I was highly impressed with how reliably and accurately he hit even the highest notes! Please go on like this, Rocco, and stay with Libera as long as you can, I really look forward to your further development! :!:

@Surpinto
During the song Joyful, Joyful I thought of you. I tried to listen to it with your ears, hoping to, in doing so, make you feel a bit like you had been with us and had been able to listen for yourself. Furthermore, I tried to experience what you had said about it last week, because I do not like this song very much, so I thought I could trigger myself a bit in this manner.

Two boys came forward and gave a speech. One of them began, then it was the other one's - Victor's - turn. Silent period. What was my text? Blackout. Visible clattering in his head. Then he said hesitantly and with an embarrassed smile: "My name is Victor." This was right, and from this moment onwards, he did fine. I love the small mishaps, which make a live performance so unique and really (a)live! And Victor was given all the time he needed to center himself, without anyone intervening in an unnecessary hurry. That was very good, relaxed, and I liked it.

Angel. Solo by Camden, who also has a most wonderful voice, unfortunately with an audible aspirating touch. It disturbs the sound a bit. If he could get that away, and I am sure that this is possible, then ... wow! I would probably fall over and never get up again. Camden's voice differs from all other current soloists. It owns something special, interesting. I can only try to describe what I mean. It has such a shining sound, a certain luminous depth, which you can say about none of the other soloists, even if their notes are fully "round". During the song, I closed my eyes from time to time to let Camden's voice work on me and feel it more intensely. Goosebumps again, only through his voice!
For all other songs, I would like to dedicate myself to the lighting technique at this point. This time, I was capable to appreciate the light choreography for the first time. So far, I had never really noticed what was going on with the light, I was always occupied by the music. This time it was easier for me to watch and to value it - obviously, I am developing on my Libera way :wink: -, consciously looking, and that was good, because the effect in this cathedral was extremely impressive. During the transition from Camden's second stanza to the refrain, the music grew and so did the light: The back and the upper part of the cathedral with the dome above became illuminated now. The song got a musical dimension, which was matched by the lightning. This must have looked unbeatable from the seats at the middle aisle. They did it also with other songs. Oh, how I wished that this concert in this very Ely Cathedral had been banned on DVD!!! :!:

I would also like to mention the fact that the light at a Libera concert is used very well. It does not lead a life of its own, it does not distract the audience from the music. In fact, it does exactly what it is supposed to do: It supports and strengthens the effect of the music. Very well done and, in this case, they used the spatial conditions of the cathedral fully and optimally!

Salva Me can stay with me (oh, unintended pun!) forever, okay, let's say it can stay in the concert setlist. Always a great song, which I almost never "skip". The song has so much drive, so much positive energy, goes on with full tension towards the climax, and sounds just beautiful - it never is too much for me. This time, the Salvas were sung by Taichi, that was alright, but I like Gabe's Salvas better. Secretly, I regretted the change. I must draw the comparison with Vallendar. At that time, I could not believe what Gabe actually delivered live: how effortlessly and absolutely flawlessly he sang these notes, each one beautifully round. Sensational, honestly said. And this is an understatement.

The children were mostly serious and focused. But there were two exceptions: Taichi, who always smiles with enthusiasm - when he sings, bis mouth is so big that you nearly can see an open mouth only and nothing around, it is adorable - and Victor, who seems to me as if he could not look serious, even if he wanted to. He simply has to smile, he can't help it, because singing and performing is so much fun. I noticed this in the Christmas concert, too. But between two songs, I suddenly saw quite a few of them smiling. Oh, I thought, what was so funny? Have I missed something and must ask someone after the concert? Then Smile started, and I did not have to ask anybody later on. It had certainly been an explicit instruction - which was forgotten very quickly. :lol:
Smile has not really a chance with me. Of course, the Libera style succeeded, they sung it beautifully - so: normal. However, I just do not like the song. But of course, I was perfectly able to appreciate and enjoy Gabe's solo, which hit me. He is an excellent singer and soloist!

After the song, there was another speech by Tadgh in which he said that there was not much to smile, because now the last song would be performed. This was Exsultate. A shortened Libera was the encore, and now I have to wait seven months for the next Libera concert - at least in ... well ... Europe. :wink:

What I always like to see are the older boys in the last row who add the deep voices to the choir sound. They are all calm, competent, behave completely inconspicuously and leave the show to the younger ones. They always make a very good impression, really grown up. You see that they are well-experienced in singing with Libera.

Last time in December, I complained that the audience did not clap their hands long enough to accompany the last boy, too, while leaving the stage. This time, it was better, but we can still improve. Also, the clapping at the end of the songs was not as rushed during this concert. All was fine! :D

This really wonderful concert was, at the same time, the one with my least favourite setlist. I would have liked to replace Sanctus, Sacris Solemnis, Joyful, joyful, What A Wonderful World, Sempiterna, Exsultate - not necessarily for not liking them. (I would never say that for example about Sempiterna, I love it!). But once, I would like to hear other songs live, too, so some room must be created. Anyway, it was also the concert with the best solos! Superb concert and deeply felt thanks to all that are Libera and Libera staff! :!: :D

Short version:
Best song of the evening: Angele Dei
Best soloists of the evening: Rocco and Gabe

After the concert, I said goodbye to some others saying see you in November/December. 20 hours later, November had come. However, it didn't take place in a church in England, but at Stansted airport, where I accidentally fell over three concertgoers from Germany who flew back home at the same time. This has somehow extended the concert experience unexpectedly. :)

During my stay in Ely, my accomodation was a B&B, and in my host's public evaluation about me as her guest she wrote: "I suggest that you ask her about the choir Libera she followed here." :lol:

That's it. I have written this review entirely out of my memory. I never take notes during the concert. So if there is something I remembered wrong, please do correct me.

And now I can read the others' reviews carefully! :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

What a wonderful review. So glad you enjoyed the concert and also Ely. It was a great pleasure to meet you, Sabina!
Thanks too to Maartendas, Andmar and Yorkie. These detailed reviews helped me to re-live the experience without the distraction of my gaseous neighbour and the intrusive photographer. RP's exhortations to smile for "Smile" not only included the usual fingers or baton assisted rictus but he also held up a paper sign. This certainly was not needed for Victor Wiggin whose radiant smile illuminated the concert from start to finish. I hope this earns him a place in Japan
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

An amazing review by Andmar and filiarheni! :D
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm">7 years ago</span> I don't know much about technology, but maybe someone can tell me if every child that has a microphone can be addressed individually by the technicians, in other words: If a microphone of a boy in the middle of the choir breaks down, does someone have to enter the stage and collect him or can he be informed via earphone that he has to leave the stage for a moment?
If they are wearing earpieces then, yes, someone can communicate with them individually. These are also used to perhaps play a tone so that a particular piece of music would be sung in the correct key. Before this technology, someone would strike a tuning fork for this purpose.
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm">7 years ago</span> @Surpinto
During the song Joyful, Joyful I thought of you. I tried to listen to it with your ears, hoping to, in doing so, make you feel a bit like you had been with us and had been able to listen for yourself. Furthermore, I tried to experience what you had said about it last week, because I do not like this song very much, so I thought I could trigger myself a bit in this manner.

:D :D :D
Wow! Thank you for thinking of me and giving me a shout out in your review as well. It is quite alright if you do not like this song, but I am highly flattered that you tried on my behalf, and, yes, I do wish I had been there with you all.

I enjoyed your review, filiarheni, as you always add many annotations and little snippets which make it such a fun read. You really enjoyed this show and your excitement and enjoyment are so obvious in what you write. Amazing! :D

Thank you for such a detailed telling of your experience at the show, I did indeed feel like I was there thanks to you and the others who have written such wonderful reviews.

I have a big smile on my face now. :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm">7 years ago</span> I was totally fascinated by this song's soloist, Rocco! Is it true that he is 10? Hopefully, because then we may count on a long Libera future lying ahead of him. He has a strikingly beautiful voice, may have sounded a bit shy, but he didn't have any reason for this at all. Exact intonation, absolutely clean (do you say that in English?), and I was highly impressed with how reliably and accurately he hit even the highest notes! Please go on like this, Rocco, and stay with Libera as long as you can, I really look forward to your further development! :!:
Yes, indeed, Rocco has nailed it! However he is a bit older now. He will be 12 in a couple of months. On the "Libera in America" DVD, Rocco was introduced as the youngest boy in the choir "having just turned nine". That means, he was born at the beginning of August 2005 at the latest.

And thank you for your brilliant review. It was so much pleasure to read.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

I'm going to be awfully tired at work tomorrow. :mrgreen:

I intended to just pop in for a minute to see what's new in the forum, but the reviews from Maarten, Yorkie, Filiarheni and Andmar were so riveting that I had to stay up late and read every word! Thanks to all for the great effort in reporting how the concert went and the emotions that were experienced while attending it. This was the best reviewed concert in the forum in quite some time.
LordG

Post by LordG »

I'm a little uncertain about the prices of all those merchandise items at the concert.
Cound someone remember the price list ?

Poster 20 GBP
Programme not signed 3 GBP
Programme signed 5 GBP
Mug 5 GBP
Magnet 3 GBP
Candle ?
Pen ?
Maybe someone has taken a photo of the list ?

Thanks

BTW:
very good reviews and it's sad the concert didn't last longer :) :D
All Albums (CD+Vinyl) in my possession :oops: :D
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

The Pen was £3.00
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Thank you Yorkie, maartendas and filiarheni for the fantastic reviews. I was happy to read them as they extend the experience so much. On the other hand I am sad that I don't remember/didn't notice so many details. The amount of incentives is so huge during a concert, that it's hardly possible to remember all of them. And they are so very transitory. I wish there was a video recording from the concert available so we would be able to re-experience it and enjoy its every second.

@maartendas
I was very moved reading your review. It is so personal. Thank you for sharing your emotions with us.

@filiarheni
What a brilliant review! As always! With so many little remarks and observations. Really funny to read. Thanks a lot.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

@andmar, please don't worry, this will improve by and by. I realised it this time, because I knew much better where to look; I was able not to be focused on the music only. You are right at the beginning of your "concert career", so just wait and see. After my first concert, I also was a bit disappointed about myself, because the others had seen so many things I didn't notice, and I wondered where I had had my eyes during the concert. But, everything is so new during the first time, so this is normal.

I love reading the reviews! They are all totally different. One concentrates on the musical facts, the other on feelings, the third brings back the memory of the choreography and the lighting, etc. And each one adds something remarkable, cute or funny. Like this, we put something like a mosaic together and afterwards we have a quite complete picture of what the concert was like with all its different colouring from so many personal point of views. Plus: We have learnt something about the author, which I find super interesting as well. :!:

@Yorkie, I always enjoy your small, sudden pointed remarks. Would you please never stop doing so?! Always a special pleasure for me, really. :mrgreen:

@Surpinto, I would never haver thought that your joy would be so strong. I am very glad now, thank you! And again, I have been thinking of you and crossing fingers, since I heard the plans about a USA tour for the first time a couple of days ago. Hopefully, it will come true, and hopefully you can go there, maybe even several times! :D

@Maarten, you know what I think about what you write, always very moving and often close to what I feel, while you are able to express it much better than I can. And you also give me food for thoughts. Thank you for that! :)

@LordG., somehow, I really don't know how, but somehow I have got a vague, remote, tiny little feeling that whatever the concert's length had been, it would have been too short ............
........ yes, that makes sense. :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 pm">7 years ago</span> .. somehow, I really don't know how, but somehow I have got a vague, remote, tiny little feeling that whatever the concert's length had been, it would have been too short ............
........ yes, that makes sense. :wink:
Yes, it makes sense for us, but think abut the poor Libera boys and staff :lol:
Kmm

Post by Kmm »

Oh yes! I do hope we Americans can have Libera here in our country again! Chicago or close to Chicago would be lovely! I'll see what I can contribute to this tour I would like to happen!
Karo

Post by Karo »

Well, according to all of your nice and vivid reviews, the concert must have been absolutely fantastic. :D It´s such a pity that there was no possibility for me to attend (it´s quite a way from eastern Germany). But there´s still one thing I´m very curious about - as we can hear in the audio version of "Smile", there is a short part in the middle where you can here some of the lower voices singing the chorus ("if you smile through your fear and sorrow..."), which is kind of rare but wonderful of course. But considering that there were only three of the older boys in the back row during the concert (plus Alex M´s and Alessandros voices might have just started to break), how did they do it? Could you even hear them or did the higher voices sing that part just as high as the rest of the song? That would have taken something away in my opinion. Well, I don´t know, I´m just wondering about that...
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Karo wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 pm">6 years ago</span> Well, according to all of your nice and vivid reviews, the concert must have been absolutely fantastic. :D It´s such a pity that there was no possibility for me to attend (it´s quite a way from eastern Germany). But there´s still one thing I´m very curious about - as we can hear in the audio version of "Smile", there is a short part in the middle where you can here some of the lower voices singing the chorus ("if you smile through your fear and sorrow..."), which is kind of rare but wonderful of course. But considering that there were only three of the older boys in the back row during the concert (plus Alex M´s and Alessandros voices might have just started to break), how did they do it? Could you even hear them or did the higher voices sing that part just as high as the rest of the song? That would have taken something away in my opinion. Well, I don´t know, I´m just wondering about that...
Well, there were actually three boys in the back: Isaac, Alessandro and Alex M. Alessandro moved forward for 'Smile' and stood few steps behind Gabe, who sang the main solo part. Alessandro was supporting Gabe with his soft, yet now significantly lower voice and they both together sounded absolutely beautiful. I can't really remember, how the part with lower voices was during the concert, but the recording was made a while ago with possibly some older choristers, who were not present in Ely.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

There probably was no lower part in that performance. I don't remember exactly but if there had been I would have noticed it. There was one other song (can't remember exactly which one but might have been Amazing Grace) where the three older boys stood in the back and made me realise how much the lower voices add to the sound as a whole.
Did the absence of more lower voices take something away? It depends on how you look at it. This way, Alessandro's supporting part stood out much more distinctly and it was his voice which, to me anyway, added a perfect touch to this performance.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above