London Concert - 2nd December 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

paul
Site Admin

Re: London Concert - 2nd December 2106

Post by paul »

dani wrote:So what is everybody hoping to hear on the night ?

I personally really hope Veni Veni makes a come back :)

Also looking forward to Silent Night to put the debate to bed on who is the soloist ;) :D

Also any news songs will be nice that we have not heard before.
It would be nice to hear

Lux Aeterna
Mysterium
Veni Sancte
Vespera
A New Heaven
Voca Me
Lament
Sempiterna
Far away

And for the Christmas songs.

Silent Knight
What child is this.
Carol of the bells
Coventry Carol
Wexford Carol
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Angels We Have Heard on High

Whatever they choose to sing, i'm sure will be wonderful and very seasonal. So I don't mind really.

Paul :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but just a reminder to everyone, Lambeth North is closed. The next nearest underground station is Elephant and Castle.

Its only a short walk away.
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Cheers

Paul :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
trev

Post by trev »

And there will be newbie mini boys. It's a huge challenge to remember all their faces and names, esp for me.
I am really excited to see them after knowing them for 10 years, and following them for 5 years.

Corpse Christi Carol , always have a special place in my heart, but it depends much on the soloists
Wexford Carol
Carol of the Bells
Once in Royal
Mary's Bboy Child
What Child is This
In Dulci Jubilo
The First Noel

Others:
Lead Kindly Light
Recordare
Sacta
Agnus Dei
Time
Angelus
We are the Lost
Eternal Light
Song of Life

I am just choosing my favourties :D .
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I was very surprised to see Voca me on your list, Paul. I love, love, love Voca me, I want to hear it always, but I wouldn't think they'd sing a song with Lacrymosa/dolorosa-lyrics in a Christmas concert. However, I will not leave the church if that happens. ;)

My wish list includes

Veni, veni Emmanuel
Himig Ng Pasko
Hymn To Mary
O Holy Night
Coventry Carol
Angels We Have Heard On High
Wexford Carol
Carol Of The Bells

I count on Libera to sing the two latter ones, because they seem to be so favoured by the audience; and I wish to hear Wexford Carol most of all in the list.

Concerning the non-Christmas part, I would love to hear How Shall I Sing That Majesty and all in all the maximum possible number of Robert Prizeman's own songs. Since it is only my second concert, there are so very many beautiful songs left, so I'm sure that I will be happy with whatever they will sing. :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Anything but "Santa will find you".
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

john45 wrote:Anything but "Santa will find you".
This deserves a quote :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Patrick did a good analysis on likely songs on another thread:

http://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2444
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote:Patrick did a good analysis on likely songs on another thread:

http://forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2444

I replied , I'm hoping for some new Christmas songs. Like O Magnum Mysterium :)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

ontic5 has kindly revealed the setlist for tonights concert;

A few surprises;

Angele Dei (Angels of God)

From wiki;
Angel of God is a Roman Catholic traditional prayer for the intercession of the guardian angel, often taught to young children as the first prayer learned. It serves as a reminder of God's love, and by enjoining the guardian angel to support the child in a loving way, the prayer echoes God's abiding love.
It goes like this;

...and Libera bring back a souvenir from Krakow... 'Total Praise'
Relief for some that 'Santa won't be on the look-out' tonight...no room for 'Santa Will Find You'

P.S. Patrick https://twitter.com/fan_de_LoK also updating on Twitter and others sharing pictures.[/quote]
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

The concert highlight was the brand new song Angele Dei which Alex M sung solo on. He was perfect and everything about it bang on. He was also really good on Silent Night :)

A nice surprise was to hear Alex G solo on wayfairing stranger and he was spot on and I look forward to hearing more from him.

No Santa will Find you , I was convinced it would be the encore but that was left to exsultate

A brand new opening as well which I have wanted for the last 6 months as Joyful Joyful was getting old as the opening song. San Domiano was not a song I knew of until It appeared in Poland and it's a really nice addition to the set list.

Taichi did the high parts on Stay with Me and he was so happy and smiling during the whole thing. It's always great to watch when the boys are having so much fun.

There was no Mattthew J or Cassius but ciaran was back so my hope for 2017 is we get to hear "Home" live :) :) :)

I forgot to mention Romeo (Rocco's younger brother) did the last bit on Carol of the Bells and he melted everybody's heart along with it. It was absolutely adorable :)

We also got some of the newer boys doing the speech of where the families come from which was great. We had Victor Wiggins take over from Sam for the France bit with another new boy Alexander. Tadhg took over Isaac's Irish part. And there was a few others who I cannot remember.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote:The concert highlight was the brand new song Angele Dei which Alex M sung solo on. He was perfect and everything about it bang on. He was also really good on Silent Night :)

A nice surprise was to hear Alex G solo on wayfairing stranger and he was spot on and I look forward to hearing more from him.

No Santa will Find you , I was convinced it would be the encore but that was left to exsultate

A brand new opening as well which I have wanted for the last 6 months as Joyful Joyful was getting old as the opening song. San Domiano was not a song I knew of until It appeared in Poland and it's a really nice addition to the set list.

Taichi did the high parts on Stay with Me and he was so happy and smiling during the whole thing. It's always great to watch when the boys are having so much fun.

There was no Mattthew J or Cassius but ciaran was back so my hope for 2017 is we get to hear "Home" live :) :) :)

I forgot to mention Romeo (Rocco's younger brother) did the last bit on Carol of the Bells and he melted everybody's heart along with it. It was absolutely adorable :)

We also got some of the newer boys doing the speech of where the families come from which was great. We had Victor Wiggins take over from Sam for the France bit with another new boy Alexander. Tadhg took over Isaac's Irish part. And there was a few others who I cannot remember.
Looking at my notes for the languages part (where the message was Merry Christmas rather than it's a wonderful world) the boys were:

Alex G from Poland
Finn from Mexico
Victor & Alexandre from France
Oliver from Spain
Tadhg from Ireland
Alex M from Italy
Taichi & Koji from Japan

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for the highlights dani and Yorkie! :D It was very enjoyable to read some of the highlights posted here and on twitter. Long form reviews are always welcome of course. :wink:

Also, Furby at Libera Passion, using photos provided by fan_de_lok, has compiled a photographic summary of the newest members of the choir.

john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

At YUL waiting for connection to YSJ. Only one review of last nights concert so far (thanks Dani) so to kill time here are a few observations. For a full review, I hope we will hear from Yorkie and FDL soon.

Despite an excellent vantage point my failing vision made it difficult for me to see who was doing what so please excuse errors and/or lack of detail. I didn’t count, but I think there were more boys on stage than I have ever seen before. For several songs they were accompanied by the nine new mini-boys who stood in front of the stage in groups of four and five. It proved difficult for some of them to concentrate on RP as the TV screens were distractingly visible from where they stood.

There was a nice balance of Christmas music and regular Libera hymns and songs. The latter including the magnificent new RP composition “Angele Dei” which was performed beautifully with Alex M as soloist. It is a beautiful hymn with passages of exquisite tenderness mixed with rousing crescendos. For many this was undoubtedly the highlight of the evening. I understand it was filmed in 360 degree vision (whatever that means) and should be released as a video some time.

Another first for a Libera concert was “Total Praise”- much more impressive “live” than the Krakow TV recording and very moving.

Another favorite of mine was “Wayfaring Stranger”. It was a struggle for me to identify the soloist- too short to be Alessandro; hair not dark enough to be Alex M; could it be Gabriel? No, as he walked forward into the light it became clear that it was Alex Gula. My immediate thought was why havn’t we been hearing more of this wonderful voice? I suppose the answer is that in recent years Libera has been blessed with a surfeit of excellent soloists. Anyway I hope we will now hear much more from Alex G.

Always a favorite “Still, still,still” was once again excellent. My favorite (and tear jerking) moment is when the deeper voices join in. They were in short supply last night but performed magnificently.

Those were the standout moments for me in an excellent concert overall. Lots of new material in the speeches – all delivered flawlessly as usual. There was some interesting merchandise for sale and the signing session was very well received and I think enjoyed by the boys despite the late hour.
I learned with some sadness that this was to be Sam Wiggin’s last Libera concert. We are lucky that many of his solos have been recorded. I do hope there is a recording of “Nearer my God” somewhere in the Libera archives waiting to be transferred to a CD.Yes, he has natural talent, but it also takes a lot of hard work and dedication to produce performances of such a high standard. Thank you Sam.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

I learned with some sadness that this was to be Sam Wiggin’s last Libera concert. We are lucky that many of his solos have been recorded. I do hope there is a recording of “Nearer my God” somewhere in the Libera archives waiting to be transferred to a CD.Yes, he has natural talent, but it also takes a lot of hard work and dedication to produce performances of such a high standard. Thank you Sam.
I might be mistaken, but it seems rather rare for us to be aware at the time that it's someone's last Libera concert. They most often slip away quietly and unexpectedly.

I posted this elsewhere recently under a different topic, but I think it's appropriate here as well. Evidently a tradition with the group below, the director takes the opportunity to publicly thank the departing members during May the Road Rise Up to Meet You.

I'm not saying that this would work with Libera necessarily. Not only does Robert seem to enjoy staying out of the spotlight, but part of the Libera mystique is having the boys 'run the show' and do all the talking, interviews, etc. I still found it to be rather moving, and a good idea after all the time and hard work each member invests.

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lets list all the boys and the set list:

Marc Alvares
Leo Barron
Nathaniel Bates-Fisher
Emanuele Borrelli
Ciaran Bradbury-Hickey
Merlin Brouwer
Benedict Bywater
Cassius Collard
Gabrial Collins
Sanuel-Francis Collins
Tadhg Fitzgerald
Alexander Gula
Adam Izghouti
Luke Jelley
Peter Kielty
Timothy Lee
Isaac London
Gregor Lumsden
Allessandro Mackinon Botti
Matthew Madine
Fyfe McGaughrin
James Menezes
Michael Menezes
Alexandre Menuet
Alexander Montoro
Mathias Montoro
Oliver Mycka
Arthur Palmer
Neo Parson
Koji Shinokubo
Taichi Shinokubo
Camden Stewart
Laurence Taylor
Rocco Tesei
Romeo Tesei
Samuel Wiggin
Victor Wiggin
Oliver Watt-Rodriguez
Finn Wood
Lucas Wood
Theo Wood

Mercy & Love