Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

hiskeys
Silver Member

Re: Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Post by hiskeys »

Hi folks,

For those who are interested, Libera also appears briefly at the end of the outdoor concert (after they sang Total Praise).

In the entire concert video below, they thank all of the participants at 1:51:05, and mention Libera at 1:51:48.

Then they all sing a last song, This I Believe, together at the very end (so Libera had to learn that one by heart as well). And you can see some Libera members at 1:56:24-31 (one of them is singing into a microphone), and a nice quick group shot at 1:56:57 - 1:57:02.

Of course, Robert is nowhere to be found, what a gracious and humble leader. (Or perhaps he just wasn't quite up to singing along with the huge gang!)

One thing I also noticed as I was watching other parts of the video, is that there were a few microphone issues with other performers. So it's very possible Libera's mix in their song wasn't quite as good as it could have been (if Steven and Sam had been at the controls).

Cheers.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

One more P.S.

As I watched the lead up to Libera's song (1:41:45), I was more aware of the pressure that was on Allesandro to begin that song all by himself. Bravo to Allesandro for doing a nice job of getting things started.

Also, at the end of their song, the F# ended up being dominant, but there was a nice high A above that would have been nice a little more in the mix.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Am I allowed one more P.S.?

Here's the song list for the video above.

2:40 Krzysztof Iwaneczko "This i believe"
10:36 s. Cristina Scuccia OSU "Blessed be Your name"
14:40 Anna Gadt "Indescribable"
20:20 Olga Szomańska "Our God"
27:20 Hajlandery "O Maryjo, nasa Pani"
32:40 Adam Strug "Klęcząc w Ogrójcu"
35:15 Dagmara i Martyna Melosik "In Christ alone"
41:05 Katarzyna Cerekwicka i Krzysztof Antkowiak "Forever"
46:15 Beata Bednarz "Hosanna"
50:10 Mietek Szcześniak "Holy"
54:35 Joshua Aaron, Andrzej Lampert, Wayne Ellington "How Great Is Our God"
1:01:50 Kuba Zaborski "Oceans"
1:09:05 Sean Simmonds "Believer"
1:15:42 Gabi Gąsior, taniec Iga Eckert "Słudzy Pańscy, chwalcie Pana"
1:24:10 TGD, Kuba Badach "Błogosław duszo moja Pana"
1:29:10 Adam Krylik "Mighty to save"
1:35:25 Wayne Ellington feat. Sean Simmonds "Going Up Yonder"
1:41:50 Libera "Total Praise"
1:45:00 Kasia Wilk "My soul says yes"
1:53:47 Wszyscy razem "This i believe" (everyone)

Also, as I looked again in the one spot, he wasn't singing directly into the microphone. They were the same ones they used for their song.

And it's interesting to see some enjoying themselves in that last clip, like Taichi and Tadgh.

Singing along with a big group like that reminded me of Libera's participation in the 50th anniversary Big Sing for Songs of Praise.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for sharing this, hiskeys!
Looking at the Youtube comments for 'Total Praise' (the other video of just the one song), I am glad to see it gets such a positive reception, despite the challenging circumstances of the performance. I know some people who dismissed it at first admit it grows on you.

I am pleased by your mention of Alessandro's achievement in opening the song - on the night itself, when I heard it live, his lone and tender voice immediately struck a chord and moved me.
(Listening to it now, I once again get goosebumps and feel a stirring sensation inside...)

I know from Steven G who told me (at the M&G in Vallendar) that singing in front of 1,6 million people with all those lights in the distance was a wonderful experience for the boys. For sure, this event will go down as a unique one in Libera history.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

maartendas wrote:the set closed with Libera – but in the spirit of this historic evening of both looking back and looking ahead (see 3rd part of my review), the song was preceded by the Gregorian hymn Veni Creator Spiritus – Come, Holy Spirit.
For those unfamiliar with this hymn, here it is:

Libera sang a shorter version without the extra bit after the last verse, and they sang it a bit slower.
I seem to recall they sang an arrangement in parts but I'm not 100% sure.
In any case, it was another of that night's very pleasant surprises.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

There's a picture from Mawi in the German fan site, the second to the last at the bottom, which shows what looks like some wetness on the stage during their Krakow market square concert (click on the picture to expand it). I wonder if they hesitated a bit about allowing the concert to proceed.

I can just picture Sam and Steven biting their nails until it was over. :shock:

http://www.libera-welt.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=236
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Mawi could become their professional concert photographer!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks Maartendas and Hiskeys. Good stuff! :D

I wanted to comment on "Total Praise". I had never heard this song before and started doing my research as to what this song was. After some digging, I found that this is probably a song we would all need to hear properly recorded/performed without the technical glitches. So rather than try and understand the song from that poor quality recording I went in search of another group. I found an acapella version that is much the same arrangement, though obviously not identical, to Libera's. Though the song is of a gospel nature, I think that the arrangement is one that could possibly work for them.

(fast fwd to 56 seconds to skip the introduction)

Before anyone else says it please allow me to emphasize that these are grown men and not a boy's choir. Obviously Libera would sound different, but the arrangement style is very similar to what Libera was trying to pull off. Seeing as the recording just linked, which will certainly not be to everyone's taste, is well done, I think we would be better off hearing a properly recorded or live version before making a judgement; it may actually be fairly good.

Of course that is just my personal opinion. :D
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Here's another version of "Total Praise"on, I believe, "Britain's Got Talent." It starts with a lot of nonsense but is delightful (and SO different).

john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Here's a another recording of Libera's performance thanks to Jimmy Riddle who worked his magic to eliminate the flaws of the original live Polish TV broadcast. I was disappointed with the choice at first - having expected that a Libera classic in front of an audience of 1.5 million would do wonders for their fan base - however the more I hear it, the more "Total Praise" grows on me - especially the Amen. Like so many songs and hymns, Libera, thanks to the genius of Robert Prizeman, has now made it their own
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

I don't think Libera needs to feel compelled to pursue this particular song, per se. But if they did, I'm sure Robert (or Sam) would put the Libera 'magic' on it.

Since we're on somewhat of a rabbit trail, here's another interesting jazzy a cappella version (since most of us probably appreciate a cappella). Obviously, Libera isn't into that kind of complexity, but Ben Crawley, Sam Coates, and some others might appreciate it.

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Felt like making some fan art again :)

ludwig1874
Silver Member

Schoenstadt concert

Post by ludwig1874 »

:D
IMG_20160813_194709.jpg
IMG_20160813_194709.jpg (582.63 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
IMG_20160813_194709.jpg
IMG_20160813_194709.jpg (582.63 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
IMG_20160813_194720.jpg
IMG_20160813_194720.jpg (634.24 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
IMG_20160813_194720.jpg
IMG_20160813_194720.jpg (634.24 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
IMG_20160813_111033.jpg
IMG_20160813_111033.jpg (591.84 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
IMG_20160813_111033.jpg
IMG_20160813_111033.jpg (591.84 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
Here is the Programm of the Schoenstadt concert and my signed CD. It was a very impressive concert with nice Sound and with some new Arrangements.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Schoenstadt concert

Post by Yorkie »

Fantastic - did you enjoy the concert? What was your favourite song?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love