South Korea Tour 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

tom413
Gold Member

Re: South Korea Tour 2016

Post by tom413 »

While it doesn't look the Chinese event will happen, I do think there is at least some market for Libera there.
I have met Chinese fans while on tours who have travelled long distances to support the group.

I know Libera was trying to go to China a few years ago, so they certainly feel it would be a destination worth trying.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

A video of four of the choristers promoting this tour.

http://tvcast.naver.com/v/773313
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Nice find, Surpinto! It looks like it was warm the day this was filmed, since the boys have switched into their hoodie shirts.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

My apologies for not giving credit to FDL for sharing this on Twitter. I was careless in posting this link.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

First concert was today and this is the set list and attendees as best as I can tell from Tweets:

1. Joyful Joyful
2. Sanctus
3. The Prayer
4. Salva Me
5. Stay With Me
6. Wexford Carol
7. Amazing Grace
8. How Great Thou Art
9. Angel
10. Exultate
11. Orinocco Flow
12. Angels We Have Heard On High
13. Song Of Life
4. Wayfaring Stranger
15. Wonderful World
16. Sacris Solemnis
17. Nearer My God To Thee
18. Libera
19. Arirang (Korean song)

Boys on tour

Marc Alveres
Shay Baleskar
Leo Barron
Emanuele Borrelli
Ciaran Bradbury-Hickley
Merlin Brouwer
Gabriel Collins
Henry Cullinan-Hollihead
Tadhg Fitzgerald
Alexander Gula
Adam Izghouti
Matthew Jansen
Peter Kielty
Timothy Lee
Issac London
Gregor Lumsden
Alessandro Mackinnon-Botti
Matthew Madine
James Menezes
Michael Menezes
Alexander Montoro
Mathias Montoro
Cassius O'Connell-White
Taichi Shinokubo
Camden Stewart
Rocco Tessei
Samuel Wiggin
Finn Wood
Lucas Wood

So, we have some boys missing who were in the Philippines, the return of Cassius, and a new performer in Emanuele Borrelli (although I think I remember his name as part of the Requiem performance in St P's earlier this month). Hope I didn't miss anybody but I'm sure somebody will tell me if I did...
Last edited by Yorkie on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Thanks, Yorki! It's great to see Libera on the set list again. Arirang is beautiful.
The Vienna Boy's Choir:

Ansang City Choir (I think this arraignment is a little more Libera-esque)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks, Yorkie, for compiling that information. That looks to be an excellent set list.

And thank you, alcesalcesobservator, for linking to that music. I bet it sounds great in Libera's capable hands.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Some minor corrections to Yorkie's list.

Matthew Jansen was one of the 29 on stage. Matthias was also present in the Philippines.
"Nearer My God" was not bumped in favour of the Filipino song this time.

Speeches still identified Sam as the oldest (Cassius and Matt J are both older) and said there were 31 on stage. I guess the absentees (Oliver, Ben, Arthur) must have been last minute cancellations and someone forgot to change the script.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Speaking of the script, there was one thing that happened last night that I've never seen before in a Libera concert. All of the speeches were subtitled into Korean on a screen in the back of the stage. Perhaps one of the reasons Tadgh couldn't adjust his numbers is that the translations wouldn't match what he was saying. :?

Having the translations printed out also changed audience response to one of the standard speeches. "We can't just sing the tune" got laughs that it doesn't usually get in English only renditions and the bit about practicing blindfolded was met with silence.

Performance wise, new for me was Taichi delivering the high solos on Stay With Me and the abandonment of most of the choreography for Exultate.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

tom413 wrote:Perhaps one of the reasons Tadgh couldn't adjust his numbers is that the translations wouldn't match what he was saying.?
Good point. Why didn't I think of that?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:Some minor corrections to Yorkie's list.

Matthew Jansen was one of the 29 on stage. Matthias was also present in the Philippines.
"Nearer My God" was not bumped in favour of the Filipino song this time.

Speeches still identified Sam as the oldest (Cassius and Matt J are both older) and said there were 31 on stage. I guess the absentees (Oliver, Ben, Arthur) must have been last minute cancellations and someone forgot to change the script.
Amended. Don't know how I missed Matthew J as I watched Patrick's Periscope broadcast and remember seeing him! That's what I get for being lazy & doing a copy and paste job from the 'Pines thread!

I suppose this will be the set list for Romsey, minus the two Christmas songs. I was hoping for more of a change but hearing 'Nearer My God To Thee' again will be great. Hopefully we can get 'Dreaming of Home' too.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Thanks, Yorki! It's great to see Libera on the set list again. Arirang is beautiful.
I actually liked that stripped back performance of WSK and I generally have a downer on them. Would love to see Libera doing the dance & movements from the second video!

Thanks for posting those, very interesting.

Mercy & Love
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

For the die-hard fan: a Meet and Greet video from Suwon.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Went to see the "Munchen Knabenchor" last night who are touring here in Korea at the same time as Libera. They are very good at what they do - but have a very different style compared with Libera. Quite unnatural to my ear with lots of rolling Rs and a very harsh forced tone. Very disciplined though, standing rigid in three straight lines and appearing to be scared sh*tl*ss of the conductor who gave me the impression that he might whip them if they sang a wrong note. However, after the concert, discipline was completely relaxed. They came out to the foyer and mingled shoulder to shoulder with the large crowd, posing for selfies with teenage girls and obviously enjoying themselves. I couldn’t help wondering how BG would react if Libera were to do the same! Still, it was a very enjoyable evening in the same very impressive concert hall where Libera will be performing tonight.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

john45 wrote:I couldn’t help wondering how BG would react if Libera were to do the same! .
Forgive my ignorance--who is "BG"?