St George's 2015

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

itsacat

Re: St George's 2015

Post by itsacat »

I saw Libera for the first time in concert in Guildford this year and am looking forward to seeing them for the second time this December. Managed to get a seat in row 5, but only just... had front row for Guildford but was hampered by slow internet this time... :(
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

itsacat wrote:I saw Libera for the first time in concert in Guildford this year and am looking forward to seeing them for the second time this December. Managed to get a seat in row 5, but only just... had front row for Guildford but was hampered by slow internet this time... :(
Hey, lots of us would be happy with a 5th row seat. I know I would.....so long as it came with a paid flight, paid accommodations, and paid expenses to travel to the UK. :wink:

When I saw them in Washington DC in 2014 I was so far back I could barely see a thing; but their singing was so fantastic I did not care!

Seriously though, you still managed to scoop up an excellent seat for both concerts and we expect a full report after the concert :D . Oh, and welcome to Libera Dreams :)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

According to the Ticketsource website. St Georges regular and premier seating is now fully sold out. Side Aisle seats (with no view of the stage) can be purchased on the door for £5 each on the night.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

If somebody is interested one Premium ticket (row F), please answer to me (I need only one).
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Karppoo wrote:If somebody is interested one Premium ticket (row F), please answer to me (I need only one).
Hi Karppoo,

I think I know somebody that would take that ticket from you if it is still on offer.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

Yorkie wrote:
Karppoo wrote:If somebody is interested one Premium ticket (row F), please answer to me (I need only one).
Hi Karppoo,

I think I know somebody that would take that ticket from you if it is still on offer.

This is OK!
paul
Site Admin

Re: St George's 2015 - Premium Ticket available.

Post by paul »

If anyone is interested in E13, could you PM me.
Seat.jpg
Seat.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Seat.jpg
Seat.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 1817 times
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Robolib7

Post by Robolib7 »

When we walked by the west side of the Cathedral last August there was scaffolding around the door area. Not sure what they were doing but does anyone know if it's gone yet?

Hope everyone who attends later this week has a great time. Wish I was there (sigh).
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

It is late, and an old geezer like me should be long abed – but the buzz from a Libera concert lasts long after it is over. So a few observations while I wind down.
First, so nice to see a full house including many good friends in this cathedral so magnificently lit for the occasion. Sound quality too was excellent.
As for the concert itself, it should surely be ranked among the very best. It was wonderful to see fourteen new recruits participating in so many songs. At times, some seemed a little overawed by the occasion and forgot that they were there to sing as well as to look cute in their white robes.
At the same time it was sad to note the absence of some of Libera’s finest voices from the main group. Especially noticeable by his absence was Tom D-L whose magnificent descants and perfect solos of some of the most difficult pieces have been the highlight of so many Libera concerts in recent years. Thank you Tom. Hope to see you return with your new voice very soon.
Favourite song for me was undoubtedly “Nearer my God”. The a capella delivery, without any embellishment, demonstrates the true vocal skills of these remarkable boys. I especially like Sam’s delivery of the lower harmony. Not so long ago he was wowing us with his treble voice.
The list of juniors included several familiar names – presumably younger brothers. I also happened tp spot a couple of younger Sam W lookalikes in the audience. Perhaps they too will sign up. I hope so.
Jet lag is now kicking in so I hope that someone else will give a detailed concert review.
Just a few more highlights for me: The return of “Libera”. The new arrangement of “I Vow to Thee”; Merlin’s “Stay With Me” - also interesting that he stepped forward centre stage to deliver the final “Sanctus”. A first I think. Gabe and Alex – for the aahs in Carol of the Bells. Ciarin’s “Song of Life” – brilliant but I fear it means he is at his treble peak. Same applies to Alessandro and Isaac who performed so brilliantly so often tonight.
The nature of Libera is such that it must constantly renew itself. We must give thanks to RP and EL and, in fact, to all the past and present Libera boys who help to inspire and develop the new talent needed for its survival.
Thanks for a wonderful concert – looking forward to seeing you in Japan.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Thanks for the quick review, John. It sounds like a great set list!
I so want to hear "Nearer My God to Thee". One of these days. :)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks for the report John. Thanks also to the usual faithful who provided up to date details on Twitter and Patrick has also completed a detailed concert review on the French Forum

No doubt from the reports that 'Nearer My God' was a firm favourite. I think the audience appreciates the extra degree of difficulty when they perform the rare 'a capella' numbers, and how well they seem to pull it off. I also hope we get to hear a recording of this song at some point in the future.

So many new faces and names judging by the program, many probably related to current & previous members. Agree about Tom DL, even Mr Prizeman referred to his 'incredible range' in a recent interview. He has worn the libera robe very well, and his Ave Maria will always be there to enjoy. A few of the boys from that 'era' may also be approaching the final stages of their treble ranges, but from the looks of it, there are many waiting in the wings to herald a new chapter of the Libera story.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

A few quick words as I suck at this stuff and everybody else has done a much better job than I can :)

A wonderful concert last night and a special mention to Isaac who absolutely stole the show for me. He did everything to perfection on the night and it was a joy to hear him sing at his peak.

Some of the highlights were hearing Angel live finally and it's a a very uplifting song.

I vow to thee had a new opening to the song which was a nice touch and opened the second half.

It was great to have Libera back on the set list as its a nice song.

The encore was Santa will find you and it was nice to have a up lifting song to finish on.

Alessandro was really good on his solo songs and Ciaren who also did the solo on song of life if I remember correctly.

Also Merlin has such a nice voice and I look forward to hearing more from in the future.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks Dani
dani wrote:The encore was Santa will find you and it was nice to have a up lifting song to finish on.
Did Santa manage to find John last night, or is this a mountain not even a live performance can climb?
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

JimmyRiddle wrote:Thanks Dani
dani wrote:The encore was Santa will find you and it was nice to have a up lifting song to finish on.
Did Santa manage to find John last night, or is this a mountain not even a live performance can climb?
When I saw the programme I was hoping we might get away with not being subjected to "Santa" but it was not to be. My companion thought it was "very catchy" but not really suited to Libera. The actual rendition could not be faulted and, as always, the boys performed admirably but I don't think it will ever "grow on me" as it has on others. Interestingly it was greeted with polite applause only and it was not until the newbies and Robert joined the stage that the audience stood for a second ovation.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

An afterthought:

It should also not be allowed to pass unnoticed that this was the first concert for at least eight years in which the Menezes/Madine/Leggat family was not represented either on stage or in the orchestra. The contribution of Sam, Alex, Josh, Matthew, Jacob, Michael and James and their families to the success of Libera is immeasurable.
Glad to see Matthew was helping with merchandising (and looking very dapper too).