St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2019, 3rd December, London

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Celt

Re: Christmas Concert 2019, Tuesday, 3rd December, London

Post by Celt »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 pm">4 years ago</span> The venue was impressive. St John’s Smith Square is renowned for staging top quality classical music; all the big choirs perform here as well as anybody who is anybody in the British classical music scene. It is just down the road from the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey – this is bang in the centre of well healed British culture. We were long overdue a Libera concert here. Given the prestigiousness of the venue it was only fitting that Mr Prizeman took his place to applause from audience.

The sound was excellent. With the musicians at the back of the stage (and can I say that despite what I’m sure is a substantial cost those musicians really compliment the boys) it was a nicely balanced sound. Sometimes, especially if you are seated on the edge of the audience, the musicians can be a little too forwards, competing with the voices. Not last night where the staging placed them at the back of the stage behind the boys and from my seat it meant I could always here the individual voices.
St John’s Smith Square along with Cadogan Hall in Sloane Square (which is a venue I hope Libera might consider in the future) always offer up a fantastic selection of concerts throughout the year, but especially at Christmas time. Christ Church Cathedral Choir and the Choir of New College Oxford regularly sing at SJSS for Christmas (and this year is no different, the 10th and 16th Dec respectively). I was becoming a little bit disillusioned with Libera lately due to their focus on their overseas markets compared to their home audience. But one amazing Christmas concert later and my faith in them is restored.

I'll echo again what I said earlier about sound balance being spot on with the musicians at the back, but I'll add that in terms of sound quality it was also excellent, perhaps because it's a smaller venue than normal so there was less space to fill but they had everything set just right for me, which hasn't always been the case at some of the concerts I've attended.
maartendas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 pm">4 years ago</span> Last night’s concert will go down as one of Libera’s best. A bunch of us tried to name any highlights but we couldn’t. The entire concert was a highlight! Usually there are a couple of songs that were a little less excellent than the rest, but last night I couldn’t name any. So this feels more like a review of a single experience, rather than different songs.

Speeches
Normally I don’t write about the speeches, I think because they don’t form part of the emotional and spiritual experiences during a Libera concert, but I would like to make an exception for Daniel. He had two speeches that were new for this concert and which he performed with an eager cheekiness. One was about the fact that the concert took place on a school day and some of the boys had been up since 6 am – at which he made a face as if to say: can you believe it, that’s unbearable! The other new speech talked about the history of Walking in the Air, and Daniel mentioned Aled Jones as one of the boy singers who made this song famous. He then went on to remark that Aled probably won’t be able to hit those high notes as well as he used to, which caused a good deal of laughter from the audience. Cheeky! :)

My two favourite concerts of the last five years are this one and Brighton, and SJSS might just edge it due to the fact I didn't have to travel far! :P

Daniel was excellent in the speeches, I loved his humour and delivery!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

One more thing I forgot to add: Angel had a particular extra meaning to me. I had tweeted part of the lyrics in the wake of the London Bridge attack and to hear Daniel sing those words, in London, was an extra meaningful moment for me.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Celt wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:01 am">4 years ago</span> I was becoming a little bit disillusioned with Libera lately due to their focus on their overseas markets compared to their home audience. But one amazing Christmas concert later and my faith in them is restored.
You're not the first one to mention this focus overseas but there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this - money. What I mean is when they tour abroad it is because somebody is raising the funds to bring them over. Whether that is to the USA or Japan Libera are being hosted and somebody else is picking up the cost. If they hold a UK concert then they are responsible for the cost and organisation. I don't know how much putting on one concert costs them but with coach travel, food, musicians, venue, equipment (the sound desk, speakers, lights, etc are rented I believe) I think you can quickly see how the cost escalates easily into 4 figures and probably 5 (definitely 5 with hotel costs).

Now how much does a concert bring in. Let's assume a full house of 500 people paying an average of £22.50 per ticket (you need to remember the discounts given for concessions and the limited number of premium tickets). This would raise around £11,250 so would probably be around break even for that concert but I have been to concerts where there was barely 100 in the audience. They might cover their costs from doing a gig in London but if they did a tour of four concerts around the UK they are taking a very big financial gamble that might actually ruin them. That said if some wealthy donor wants to step forward and sponsor such a tour I think that they would welcome the opportunity to do so (and the same would be true of an offer from mainland Europe).

Finally, there is an extra consideration - would the boys be as excited by a rainy day in Bognor Regis compared to Tokyo or LA? I know what my money would be on!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 am">4 years ago</span>
You're not the first one to mention this focus overseas but there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this - money. What I mean is when they tour abroad it is because somebody is raising the funds to bring them over. Whether that is to the USA or Japan Libera are being hosted and somebody else is picking up the cost. If they hold a UK concert then they are responsible for the cost and organisation. I don't know how much putting on one concert costs them but with coach travel, food, musicians, venue, equipment (the sound desk, speakers, lights, etc are rented I believe) I think you can quickly see how the cost escalates easily into 4 figures and probably 5 (definitely 5 with hotel costs).

Now how much does a concert bring in. Let's assume a full house of 500 people paying an average of £22.50 per ticket (you need to remember the discounts given for concessions and the limited number of premium tickets). This would raise around £11,250 so would probably be around break even for that concert but I have been to concerts where there was barely 100 in the audience. They might cover their costs from doing a gig in London but if they did a tour of four concerts around the UK they are taking a very big financial gamble that might actually ruin them. That said if some wealthy donor wants to step forward and sponsor such a tour I think that they would welcome the opportunity to do so (and the same would be true of an offer from mainland Europe).

Finally, there is an extra consideration - would the boys be as excited by a rainy day in Bognor Regis compared to Tokyo or LA? I know what my money would be on!
What!? But Bognor has a Royal connection AND a Butlins!!! :roll: I'm sure the Bognor Regis Tourist board would be horrified by your comment! :P :D

Don't get me wrong I entirely understand why, in terms of the financials. It's just as a UK fan I find it quite frustrating that UK concerts seem almost like an afterthought, for example, the very late announcement of this year's concert.

But again I will emphasise that having attended the concert, and having enjoyed myself thoroughly (besides Walking in the Air where I spent the entire song trying so hard not to cough that I was actually in pain (and yes I had a cough sweet!)) my concerns for the time being have been washed away by the good feeling of having had such a fantastic experience. They were really amazing. :D
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Great reviews and observations. Thanks to all of you. Have to agree this was the best Christmas Concert ever and the perfect venue. The large stage had plenty of room to accommodate the 41 singers with the orchestra perfectly positioned behind them; also high enough for good sight lines not obstructed by the choirmaster. I would hope this becomes a regular event – perhaps now is the time to book the venue for next year.
maartendas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 pm">4 years ago</span>
We talk about the songs, the soloists and so on. What we see and hear is not just that. It is all the effort put into it by so many people, more than we know. It is also the seeds of what will follow, how the boys will grow and mature. This is what moves me sometimes the most – all the love and energy poured into this music and then poured out again into the world. It is not just the notes, it’s everything.
This is so perceptive and so true.

It was nice to see the miniboys front and centre for many of the songs. Their expressions during the standing ovation were priceless; astonishment, bemusement, happiness and perhaps a little well deserved pride.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for the reviews thus far! I am amazed by how many fans are saying that this was one of the best Libera concerts they have attended; and most at this forum are no novices to Libera concerts. This speaks volumes and I am absolutely ecstatic to read how much joy you all have derived from this unique and special performance. Normally I would comment on particular curiosities which were mentioned and whatnot, but I am just so happy to be reading this today that I am not going to comment further and leave your positive impressions as they are. :lol: :D

Thank you for bringing a huge ear to ear smile to my face today! :D
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Great reviews everyone, thanks for sharing. I knew the venue would suit Libera shame it was on a Tuesday and not at the weekend. Quite amazing the boys could raise themselves to such a high standard after a long day at school and a late night to boot. Hope their teachers overlooked a few 'yawn's the next day lol

I wonder if Classic FM's Tim Lihoreau attended the concert and was equally impressed with a certain song as other's were;

walkingair.JPG
walkingair.JPG (21.98 KiB) Viewed 6621 times
walkingair.JPG
walkingair.JPG (21.98 KiB) Viewed 6621 times
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 pm">4 years ago</span> Dominik performs the final verse and what can I say about his singing? Outstanding. Magnificent. Perfect. Only superlatives can suffice because he had an excellent evening. How I wish he had been with the group for many more years but how fortunate we are to hear him sing now.

[...]

Angele Dei saw the return of Dominik who really hit those big notes effortlessly. He prepared for them by noticeably raising his shoulders and taking a big breath before lifting his voice to the roof. He had a very, very good night and hopefully we will have the chance to hear him a few more times at the peak of his singing.
Thank you Yorkie for your very nice review!
I agree with your statements on Dominik and would like to add that he was also this good in Japan. So for me he did not just have a good evening. I think he has been consistent throughout, especially since his solo in In the Bleak Midwinter premiered in Brighton 2018. He has gradually developed his sound and technique and now sings like a champion. I am confident he will stay in Libera for as long as possible, everything else is up to Mother Nature.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm working on my review, it may take another day or two.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 am">4 years ago</span> You're not the first one to mention this focus overseas but there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this - money. What I mean is when they tour abroad it is because somebody is raising the funds to bring them over. Whether that is to the USA or Japan Libera are being hosted and somebody else is picking up the cost. If they hold a UK concert then they are responsible for the cost and organisation. I don't know how much putting on one concert costs them but with coach travel, food, musicians, venue, equipment (the sound desk, speakers, lights, etc are rented I believe) I think you can quickly see how the cost escalates easily into 4 figures and probably 5 (definitely 5 with hotel costs).
To further add the this discussion of touring costs. What Yorkie points out is the most likely obstacle to a UK tour, or even a Europe tour. I am assuming the cost to do a 5 concert tour over a 2 week span would be close to the cost of touring in the USA.

So, for some reference to touring costs, throwing out a figure that I have heard in conversation over the past 3 USA tours. To do one tour in the USA, 5 concerts over a 2 1/2 week period is roughly $250,000, give or take, depending types of arranges made. (travel, food, venue, entertainment, etc.)

Just my 2 cents. :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

It's difficult to follow the comprehensive reviews provided by Yorkie and maartendas, could I simply post "I concur"? No? Well, here goes. I will though try not to limit duplicating what's been said before. This was my first Libera concert, so I can't compare this night's performance with previous ones. I sat in the front row (for which I am grateful), so the acoustics were perfect. It was nice to be able to pick out the voices of individual singers. I can't judge the acoustics in other parts of the venue. In this forum in recent months there were discussions over possible venues for the Libera Christmas Concert, in St John Smith there were broad pillars but they were placed at the sides of the hall so only a few seats were blocked.
The evening began with "Do You Hear What I Hear". The five soloists positioned themselves on stage beforehand. The stage was initially darkened, they were illuminated by pillars of reddish light. The initials lines were sung responsively, giving a feeling of space. The choir solemnly marches onto stage behind them, take position, then the lights rise as the chorus bursts brilliantly into being. The dramatic introduction boded well for the evening. What followed did not disappoint.
Next up was "What Child Is This" a Victorian English carol and is one of my favorites. As Yorkie noted Daniel sang the solo parts with perfection. I've listened to the Armagh CD version many times, what was sung on this night certainly held up well in comparison.
"In the Bleak Mid-Winter" is another of my favorites, It is a gentle, reflective song. Somber, the sort of song you might curl up with on a window seat with a cup of hot cocoa on a winter evening. Dominik's solo at the end was not just technically perfect but passionate and heartfelt.
"The Angel Gabriel" followed with Victor singing the solo. What strikes me about his voice is its purity, almost angelic.
"Gaudete" is like a step back in time to a medieval festival. It's bright and quick moving and Libera performs it flawlessly. Ben Bywater sang the solo brilliantly.
"Angel" was the next song. To be honest I haven't cared for this song in the past, but Daniel W's version has changed my mind. I hope this gets recorded with him singing it sometime in the future.
"In Paradisum" was next on the program, with Oliver WR singing the solo. He performed magnificently. I'd like to hear his version recorded as well.
I was going to use "tender", and "peaceful" to describe the next song "Sing Lullaby" but Yorkie beat me to it. Honestly I can't do better. Dominik once again was perfect on every note and passionate in performance.
I find it difficult to evaluate Libera's version of "Poor Little Jesus", I'm used to hearing it as a gospel spiritual sung with a great deal more pathos. Nevertheless Luca's performance, and Libera's, were excellent in every way.
"Ding Dong Merrily on High" unlike Yorkie I've liked this song from the beginning. It's bright and cheerful and the sort of thing you'd (I'd) like to hear sung by carolers on a city street.
After intermission the concert restarted with a group of boys (Allessandro, Adam, Alex G, Alex M, Taichi. Peter, Leo) gathered in one corner of the stage. They opened up with a few lines of song Libera previously performed for Songs of Praise in 2006, "Sempiterna" aka Conditor Alme Siderum. The purpose of gathering in a corner was to create the echo effect utilized for the SOP program. Alas it was only a few lines. I would have liked to have heard the whole piece again. Sempiterna was used as an introduction for the first song of the second part of the program, "Carol of the Bells". This is also one of my Libera favorites. It is an intricate song lush with a multiplicity of parts and this night Libera performed them flawlessly.
"Angele Dei" followed with Dominik performing the solo, again flawlessly.
"Walking in the Air" I like Luca's version much better than Aled's or Peter's.
"O Little Town of Bethlehem" - a lovely peaceful tune masterfully handled by Libera topped off by Oliver WR's perfect solo.
"The Wexford Carol" I think everyone likes this one, it's almost like it was written specifically for Libera, it just fits. Tadgh's solo was just beautiful.
"Noel Nouvelet" I had waited all night for this song, it has been might favorite from the last album. It wasn't a disappointment. Victor's solo was again delivered with a crystalline purity.
"Silent Night" was sung acapella by a small group of five boys, giving the song a very close personal feel.
The night ended with "In Dulci Jublio" and "I Saw Three Ships".

It was indeed a good evening well spent and I'm glad that this concert was my first Libera concert.
What impressed me most was just how good the group is without the additional electronic processing available in the studio. I've attended concerts where I've found that the performers really aren't as good live as they are on CDs. Libera is different Libera is better live.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you Tully, for taking the effort to write your first ever review :) I enjoyed reading it and it brought back memories of that wonderful evening.

I agree with your comments on Dominik's performance being passionate (great word for it).

Interesting that you described Victor's voice as crystalline and pure, as I find his voice to be a bit 'husky', a quality that works really well, especially in Noel Nouvelet (and What a Wonderful World in Arundel earlier this year).

As for 'Poor little Jesus', it would be interesting to compare Libera's version with the ones you mentioned. I think Libera has a way of choosing songs that are well known in their own right and giving them a Libera make-over, so to speak. Adding a fresh chapter to the song's history.

Lastly, I agree that Libera is better live. No matter how much I enjoy their recordings, there's just nothing that can beat a live concert - especially one like this Christmas concert.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks Tully, nice review. Hope to see you at many more Libera concerts.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:18 am">4 years ago</span> It was indeed a good evening well spent and I'm glad that this concert was my first Libera concert.
What impressed me most was just how good the group is without the additional electronic processing available in the studio. I've attended concerts where I've found that the performers really aren't as good live as they are on CDs. Libera is different Libera is better live.
Great to meet you at long last Tully, you certainly picked a great concert for your first one - you had to travel a long way for it so I'm really pleased that you enjoyed it so much. What I found really special about this concert was that from my seat I was actually hearing them sing directly rather than through the speaker system and I was able to pick out individual voices and follow their technical skill to adjust and blend to voices around them. Over the years some trolls have posted nonsense about them miming or being auto-tuned at concerts and it annoys me. They don't. There is the occasional mistake but I like that; it is what makes their concerts stand out from their recordings and given the complexity of the songs and their years it is hugely impressive to witness it for yourself.

You are right, they are better live.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Celt

Post by Celt »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:26 pm">4 years ago</span> Over the years some trolls have posted nonsense about them miming or being auto-tuned at concerts and it annoys me. They don't. There is the occasional mistake but I like that; it is what makes their concerts stand out from their recordings and given the complexity of the songs and their years it is hugely impressive to witness it for yourself.

You are right, they are better live.
I just counted it up and that was my 10th Libera concert! They certainly are better live. :)

Having heard some of the members in different contexts, where they aren't miked, I always knew they were singing well for real!

In a recent Libera concert they sang one of my favourite songs and the soloist didn't quite manage one of the notes, it didn't detract from the performance that much, and if anything it made me look forward to hearing the CD version even more. (which had been released at the same time) The occasional mistake in performances make the songs they sing perfectly, live, even more enjoyable...