2019 Japan Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: 2019 Japan Tour

Post by dani »

Thanks to Patrick we now know the set list for this weeks concerts. The surprises are Ding Dong does make the set list which I didn’t think would happen but more surprisingly is I Saw Three Ships isn’t on the set list. But the set list looks amazing and has had a big shake up for these concerts which is fantastic.

ETA - I saw Three ships was the encore :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1 - Do you hear what I hear
2 - Sanctus
3 - In the Bleak midwinter
4 - Angel
5 - Angel Gabriel
6 - From A Distance
7 - In Paradisum
8 - Stay With me
9 - Sing Lullaby
10 - Poor Little Jesus
11 - Ding Dong Merrily

Interval

12 - Carol of the bells
13 - Angele Dei
14 - Walking in the Air
15 - Gaudete
16 - For the Future
17 - Wexford carol
18 - Libera
19 - Silent Night
20 - In Dulci Jubilo
21 - (encore) I saw three Ships
Last edited by dani on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:44 am">4 years ago</span> [...] the set list looks amazing and has had a big shake up for these concerts which is fantastic.

1 - Do you hear what I hear
2 - Sanctus
3 - In the Bleak midwinter
4 - Angel
5 - Angel Gabriel
6 - From A Distance
7 - In Paradisum
8 - Stay With me
9 - Sing Lullaby
10 - Poor Little Jesus
11 - Ding Dong Merrily

Interval

12 - Carol of the bells
13 - Angele Dei
14 - Walking in the Air
15 - Gaudete
16 - For the Future
17 - Wexford carol
18 - Libera
19 - Silent Night
20 In Dulci Jubilo
Excellent set list with many more Christmas songs than I expected and very interesting for those who are waiting so wistfully for a UK concert to come soon.

I'm particular happy about Walking in the Air, although I was almost certain about this song being in the set list, and Sing Lullaby, this is really, really great!

To perform Ding Dong Merrily on High fills me with awe before these boys, as this is a truly demanding arrangement concerning pitch as well as concentration, but I think the fun it brings helps to manage it and it will be amazing.

Funny that both bell songs received prominent roles as closing song before and starting song after the interval! :wink:

I do miss Noël Nouvelet, which would have been a different, special type of music and therefore would have fit fine in there. :roll: Perhaps there's still room for hope and they sing it in the UK …

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:10 pm">4 years ago</span>
Chorus Sheet music, song is 'For the Future'
¥1000
They sell … sheet music??? I'm almost not into merch in general, but this … this I would buy immediately! :!:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I wonder if I saw three ships might be the encore ?
Wonderful setlist ! Enjoy and let us know how good it was ! :D
ludwig1874
Silver Member

Post by ludwig1874 »

Hey! I was in the concert this evening! I am very impressed... My feelings were near to tears, if I heart "In paradisum", " Angels" (without Bell at the beginning) and all the irish touched Christmas Songs!! Best regards from tokyo!!
1571672835819-1747008873.jpg
1571672835819-1747008873.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8330 times
1571672835819-1747008873.jpg
1571672835819-1747008873.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8330 times
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Brilliant concert in Tokyo this evening.

No first night nerves. No jet-lag slip-ups.

My highlights:

Do you hear what I hear - brilliant opening with soloists positioned at different parts of the stage repeating the opening lines.

Angel Gabriel - wonderful performance by Victor.

Sing Lullaby - magnificently led by Dominik.

Poor Little Jesus - now a firm favorite

Ding Dong - what can I say, the complexity, the discipline, the sheer joy. Don't take any notice of Patrick. This is another masterpiece from Sam Coates.

Walking in the air - move over Aled Jones you have been eclipsed by 9 year old Luca Brugnoli. What a voice; such purity, such control, pitch perfect.

For the future - a perfect showcase for the soloists.

The Wexford Carol - confident and flawless performance from Tadhg and I must also mention Eimear McGowan's beautiful accompaniment on flute, etc.

Silent Night - exquisite a capella performance especially from Ben B who harmonised so perfectly with Luca. Should also mention that he was the soloist for Gaudete and did a great job.

Three Ships - a much anticipated encore.

Some oddities: Why did they (apart from Luca) kneel for "Walking in the Air". Why wasn't Moose introduced to the audience (he was on stage).

I am relying on Justin to fill in the gaps with his customary erudite and comprehensive observations.

I am told only four seats remain for tomorrows concert.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you, John, for your observations. I totally agree, it was a wonderful first night.
Well, Justin, you are now officially invited to contribute your points :)
I intend to write a review of the tour, rather than three separate concert reviews. Saves time for all of us :wink:
For now, some quick notes:
Walking in the air was exceptional, first class, transporting me to its dreamworld.
Dominik sang like a champion and was the first to move me to tears tonight.
Also; a great set list, ranging from stillness to dancing joy :)
More to come, after a rainy night in Tokyo.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm">4 years ago</span> To perform Ding Dong Merrily on High fills me with awe before these boys, as this is a truly demanding arrangement concerning pitch as well as concentration, but I think the fun it brings helps to manage it and it will be amazing.
They mentioned in one of the speeches that it's difficult to sing with all the fast Ding dong's and La la's, but it also showed on their faces how much they enjoy this one :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

The boys taking part in the tour are:

Ethan Barron
Leo Barron
Nathaniel Bates Fisher
Luke Batteson Dalpiaz
Luca Brugnoli
Benedict Bywater
Dominik Clarke
Cassius Collard
Samuel-Francis Collins
Joseph Cranitch
Laurence Davey
Tadhg Fitzgerald
John Gardner
Alexander Gula
Peter Kielty
Alexandre Menuet
Mathias Montoro
Frederick Mushrafi
Oliver Mycka
Neo Parson
Koji Shinokubo
Taichi Shinokubo
Jack Spicha
Calam Tamana
Laurence Taylor
Rocco Tesei
Oliver Watt-Rodriguez
Daniel White
Victor Wiggin

So Romeo has missed two tours now....
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Not really a review but here are some notes.

A wonderful concert, perfectly well mastered by the boys. Certainly the result of a really hard work and hours and hours of rehearsals.

At gate opening there was a multitude of booths proposed to the public.

First prority, booth 1, the merchandises. Rush rush rush!
Not less than 8 persons were there to sell various items and CDs. Why to rush when there are so many sellers to serve the public simunateously ? Well, despite the number of sellers, it immediately formed a very long queue, reaching up the 2nd floor. Items were hugely demanded, also because you had to spend 3000 yens (or more) in order to obtain a coupon that will have to be presented to acces the signatures lines at the end of the concert.

Booth 2, the premium booth. In exchange of the premium coupon that came with the tickets, they gave us a free program and two large round libera magnets.

Booth 3, the fan club booth.
With your mobile you were invited to scan a qrcode which allowed to verify your FC membership, then they gave you a large poster. So large that it does not fit totaly the card board tube I brought.

Booth 4, a booth from a charity was present, from a charity about children in needs, which proposed again some libera merchandises.

Before talking about the songs, I jump to the end of the concert.

The clappings between the songs were surprizingly short, just a few seconds. I guess it is cultural differences. They were very long at the end of the concert, with a standing ovation that emerged slowly, a few people at first, then more and more, and everyone at the end :)

After the encore and the bowings, something unusual occured (tease, tease)

All the boys walked on stage to the public, with their hands asking to the public to stay. At that moment everyone was standing after the standing ovation. An announce in Japanese was made. I did not have need of a translation: the official photographer went of stage behind the boys, who where now arranged in two lines, facing the photographer, their back to the public.
The photographer was to take pictures of the boys with the whole hall of public standing behind them :)
He raised his camera high above his head, to have both the boys and the public. Hope that photo will be released.

Edit: official libera has tweeted that photo :D

Now here my notes about the songs.
As I brought my notes from last concerts in the US, it was easy for me to notice the littles changes.

01 Do You Hear What I Hear?
intro by 5 alone on stage, Oliver WR (front), Daniel (right), Ben B (left) and 2 low voices by Peter and Alex G behind Oliver.
New since last peformed (Arundel): Daniel moved from center to the right, at the place occupied by Sam. Oliver WR now at the center front, and Peter added to Alex G at center back.
The others entered stage slowly during the intro and spread a bit everywhere on stage.
They where 29 on stage.

02 Sanctus new since the US tour, high notes by Luca and Dominik, instead luca and Sam.
24 on stage, formed in a large arc.
(On some songs the lower voices leaves stage, when they have no singing to do: Peter, Alex G, Taichi, Leo and Rocco)

03 Welcoming speech by Koji and Daniel

04 In The Bleak Mid-Winter solo by Dominik on the last verse.
24 on stage. They where formed in 3 groups of 8, the left and right groups being in one line. The center group was in two lines of 4. Dominik slowly moved from the right group to center stage for his solo.

05 Angel solo by Daniel
25 on stage (the 24+Rocco). They were formed in two concentrics arcs with Daniel at the very center front stage. The inner arc is composed as usual by the 11 soloists, with one of them at the center depending of the song.

06 Angel Gabriel solo by Victor
25 on stage, formed in a large arc (as for Sanctus) with Victor at the center.

07 From A Distance solo by Victor.
29 on stage. They were spread a bit everywhere on stage as for 'Do your hear' with Victor at center front.

08 In Paradisum solo by Oliver WR.
25 on stage, in the two concentric arcs shape, with Dom at the centet front stage.
On the second half Oliver was accompanied by Dominik, who exited a little from his arc (it was Sam in the US).

(Time break, I need to prepare for second concert. I'll continue later)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:16 am">4 years ago</span> Booth 2, the premium booth. In exchange of the premium coupon that came with the tickets, they gave us a free program and two large round libera magnets.
Correction: they are not magnets, they form a hand mirror. I think this gift was meant to help us prepare for the group photo :lol:
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks Maarten, I had not even open the little plastic bag :lol:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

It's good to be wrong sometimes, in this case concerning the performance of "Ding Dong". I think the sheer joy of singing this carol arrangement inspired them to overcome the technical challenges. The group photo with the audience was a great idea. I don't think Libera has ever had a photo like this before. As for "Noel Nouvelet", I figured that one of the favorites would have to be left out, as there are so many great pieces to choose from. I think there's a chance that it will be performed at their upcoming Christmas concert in London. I get the impression that they had a better first concert compared to last year, perhaps because they were more rested.
justin

Post by justin »

john45 wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:40 pm">4 years ago</span> Brilliant concert in Tokyo this evening.

No first night nerves. No jet-lag slip-ups.

My highlights:

Do you hear what I hear - brilliant opening with soloists positioned at different parts of the stage repeating the opening lines.

Angel Gabriel - wonderful performance by Victor.

Sing Lullaby - magnificently led by Dominik.

Poor Little Jesus - now a firm favorite

Ding Dong - what can I say, the complexity, the discipline, the sheer joy. Don't take any notice of Patrick. This is another masterpiece from Sam Coates.

Walking in the air - move over Aled Jones you have been eclipsed by 9 year old Luca Brugnoli. What a voice; such purity, such control, pitch perfect.

For the future - a perfect showcase for the soloists.

The Wexford Carol - confident and flawless performance from Tadhg and I must also mention Eimear McGowan's beautiful accompaniment on flute, etc.

Silent Night - exquisite a capella performance especially from Ben B who harmonised so perfectly with Luca. Should also mention that he was the soloist for Gaudete and did a great job.

Three Ships - a much anticipated encore.

Some oddities: Why did they (apart from Luca) kneel for "Walking in the Air". Why wasn't Moose introduced to the audience (he was on stage).

I am relying on Justin to fill in the gaps with his customary erudite and comprehensive observations.

I am told only four seats remain for tomorrows concert.
Thanks John for your observations! I'd like to add a few words, if I may.

I was as genuinely surprised as you did regarding their lack of jetlag. As the first performance of their 2019 Japan tour, they have managed to set the bar very high! Virtually no mishaps/out-of-tune to speak of. The concert venue was packed to the rafters, and the merchandise and post concert M&G queues were long.

The only things I noticed (as we discussed during the interval/after the concert) was: (1) Luke suddenly turning 90 degrees to the side facing the audience during one of the songs in the first half of the concert (was it in 'In Paradisum', or 'From a Distance'? I can't recall). Ethan, who was standing next to him, promptly glanced at him and Luke, realising his error, immediately turned back. (2) Luke forgetting to reposition himself from the left of the stage to the right of the stage for one of the songs in the second half of the concert (can't remember which it was). Robert looked on and gesticulated at him for a little while. For his first tour abroad, mistakes are bound to happen and these were merely minor mistakes which I doubt anyone (other than regular attendees) would notice ;)

Now on to my impressions of some of the songs:

(1) Do you hear what I hear: Absolutely excellent. I have liked this song for quite a long time, even before Libera released this revamped version. I particularly like the part when they turned up a notch in volume and energy after the words 'said the king to the people everywhere...". All the voices, particularly the low voices of Peter, Leo, Alex G and Taichi, joined in for the dramatic climax - a beautiful explosion of light and sound. Glorious!

(2) Angel: This famous song was sung nicely by Daniel. Comparisons are bound to be made between Daniel and Isaac London. Who did it better? Perhaps Isaac, in my opinion, by just a tiny bit. But Daniel is certainly no slouch, and he has a way of singing - softly and sweetly - that is so endearing. Well done Daniel!

(3) Angel Gabriel & From a Distance: Victor did the solos for both. I must say that Victor had some difficulty with the former. He was unable to hit one or two of the high notes, and ran out of breath for one of the longer notes. I'm happy to say that he did much better with the latter! It appears to me that Victor's lower register seems to be easier for him to reach than his higher register, and that he sounds beautiful doing lower notes, whereas his high notes are a bit breathy. Still, a pretty good performance from Victor overall, and I'm sure he'll improve in the next two concerts.

(4) Stay with me: It's Oliver Mycka again for this nice, peaceful song. He's been singing the solo lines for this for what seems like ages, and once again he has delivered them confidently. Pleasure to hear him sing. I wonder if he'll get other solos? Would be a nice change ;)

(5) Sing lullabye: One of my favourite songs for this musical evening. Dominik has always been a strong soloist, and he carried this song by virtue of his beautifully confident and strong voice. I've always loved seeing him sing, he's very expressive and it's clear that he feels the flow of the music. He has lung capacity in abundance and reaches the high's and low's of this song effortlessly. As I closed my eyes and listened to him sing, I felt myself gradually being lulled into peaceful slumber. Great lullaby, indeed.

(6) Poor little Jesus: Brilliant, brilliant work from Luca. Sorry for gushing about him over and over again, on social media and elsewhere, but he really amazes me. I'm sure all of us who attended the US concerts can attest to his vocal talents, and once again, he has proved himself here in Japan. This soft and slow American spiritual starts off nicely with the joint voices of the entire choir, and just like a slow flowing river, the beautiful tune meanders on. At the very end, Luca's voice floats above the rest smoothly and elegantly, like fine wine that delights the palette but does not overwhelm.

(7) Ding Dong Merrily on High: I'm gonna say it. I love this song. (cue collective groans and 'never!' :x ) But hey, we all like different styles of music, so this 'pop-ish' song is bound to be divisive among us. The boys were formed in a wide arc facing the audience. The boys were visibly very happy while singing, bouncing their "ohhh's", "lalala's" and "ding dong's" off each other like it was a mad game of ping-pong. You can literally visualise the sound jumping from the left of the arc, to the right of the arc, down the middle and then off the sides of the arc again. Supported by the chiming of the bells and energetic beat of the drums, this song is a highly energetic, rhythmic and complex seasonal piece that should not be missed. Even Rocco and Tadhg were laughing along at one point. Certainly not to be missed in live performance.

(8) Carol of the bells: A regular in Christmas concerts, Cassius did the final "ding dong.... that is the song". Isn't it funny that both old Cassius and new Cassius are in charge of that line? :lol: Still, very enjoyable performance of a classic libera piece.

(9) Walking in the air: I shall not repeat what I have already said about Luca. The set-up of the performance was like this: the other boys were kneeling in lines behind Luca, who was the only one standing at the front. Luca, being only 9, is fairly short. Some of the older, taller boys at the back were almost as tall as him, despite the kneeling. Regarding his singing, I will only say that it was studio quality. Sounded virtually the same, in fact. My only suggestion would be to raise the volume of his mic or ask Luca to sing slightly louder next concert, so that we can enjoy his solo (which to be honest, was practically the entire song) even more. Well done to the other boys for supporting him as well.

(8) Wexford Carol: Great stuff from Tadhg. The intro was in Irish, as is customary. I can't comment on his pronunciation, but in terms of the overall sound, I liked it a lot. Tadhg sings confidently and has a generally pleasing voice. I think I detected a hint of vibrato, which was probably natural and not deliberate on his part. :D

(9) Libera: This song is pretty much customary for every Libera concert, so why is it a highlight for me this time? Neo is the key. He was an absolute revelation for me. I couldn't believe my ears when he sung the high notes which were previously done by Sammy :shock: . He projected those notes resonantly and beautifully! Why haven't we heard more from Neo? Pretty please, Mr. Prizeman. :wink:

(10) Silent Night: A popular christmas carol performed entirely acapella by a group of 5 boys - Luca, Ben, Mathias, Victor and Dominik. We heard this last Christmas in the UK, and the general consensus among attendees was that it was gorgeous. It certainly was gorgeous, but I must say that it's been taken up a notch again this time. I couldn't tell from the CD who it was that duetted with Luca at the start of the piece, but now it's clear - Ben B. Luca was great starting the piece off, but Ben really stood out. His slightly lower harmony line provided the essential contrast with the melodic line, and he pulled it off beautifully. Add in Matthias (who also sang confidently) after that and the song already sounds very rounded and balanced. Victor and Dominik provided additional help at the second half of the song, and the tune was essentially perfect at that point. Brilliant!!

(11) I saw three ships: Glad that this was included as encore!!! Another rhythmic piece, delivered impressively by the whole gang. I couldn't help nodding and tapping my feet along with them. I hope the person next to me didn't mind. Sorry! :lol:

P.S. Kudos to Taichi-kun and Koji-kun for translating the speeches, and to the boys who had to wait patiently while they translated. The speeches were rather long, and I'm surprised to see that not too many of the boys were fidgeting. Some (quickly stifled) yawns were spotted though 8) .
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, John, fan_de_LoK, and Justin for your commentary and notes about the concert. Even cursory highlights help the rest of us to feel connected to you guys and to our favorite choir; albeit from far away.

Please enjoy the rest of the tour and your time in Japan. :D We look forward to hearing more whenever you have the chance to post.