2019 US Summer Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: 2019 US Summer Tour

Post by Yorkie »

Looks like some of the boys made an appearance on a radio show earlier today HERE but unfortunately the website looks to be live only with no options to listen back to earlier shows - unless one of you guys knows better....

By the way, I have no idea who Ryan Redding is but the boys interviewed were Tadhg, Daniel & Cassius.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:23 pm">4 years ago</span> Looks like some of the boys made an appearance on a radio show earlier today HERE but unfortunately the website looks to be live only with no options to listen back to earlier shows - unless one of you guys knows better....

By the way, I have no idea who Ryan Redding is but the boys interviewed were Tadhg, Daniel & Cassius.
I've scoured the website and elsewhere to no avail! :(
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 pm">4 years ago</span>
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:23 pm">4 years ago</span> Looks like some of the boys made an appearance on a radio show earlier today HERE but unfortunately the website looks to be live only with no options to listen back to earlier shows - unless one of you guys knows better....

Do you know if they will do an interview in Christ Cathedral like they did last year?
I will be at the Oklahoma concert tonight. Will any of you be there? I will be in the front seats.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:15 pm">4 years ago</span>

Do you know if they will do an interview in Christ Cathedral like they did last year?
I will be at the Oklahoma concert tonight. Will any of you be there? I will be in the front seats.
No idea, but if they do have an interview, it will at least end up on the "Music from the Tower" website. In fact, their 2017 and 2018 interviews are still up.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Libera Concert – August 1, 2019
First Southern Baptist Church
Oklahoma City, OK
USA Tour 2019

I was sitting in the second row and had a perfect view of the boys’ faces and could see their reactions to every song they performed. Even though the song list remained the same, my experience was quite different. The Libera boys’ voices were clear, pure and beautiful. It felt like a personal concert because of how close they were. The choral sound was magnificent. They were in perfect synch with each other. Every boy did his part to perform an out of this world, spectacular concert. If you want to read the speeches, please see my St Louis concert review.

Veni Creator Spiritus
Dominik Clarke started his solo alone on the stage a Capella. Daniel White and Tadgh Fitzgerald joined him with beautiful harmonies. Mathias Montoro, Oliver Mycka, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Tadgh Fitzgerald, Dominik Clarke, Daniel White, Samuel Collins, Neo Parson and one more boy were the only ones on stage. This is a gentle, calming song which was not in the programme.

Orinoco Flow
This song started without a pause after Veni Creator Spiritus. It was the usual happy tune with great harmonies. The rest of the boys came to the stage except the four big boys: Peter Kielty, Taichi Shinokubo , Leo Barron, and Alexander Gula. They were arranged in diagonal groups of boys on each side and a cluster of seven boys in the middle. They did some sharp movements on parts of the song. Samuel, Luca, Neo, and Daniel at the end of the right group, were doing the high notes together.

Sanctus
The boys stood on a big arch. Luca Brugnoli did the high descant. When they got to the “pleni sunt coeli et terra” the boys on the right of the stage said it alone and then the boys on the left responded “Gloria tua hosanna in excelsis”. I don’t remember the exact words each group sang but it made the song even more special because of that change. The harmonies were gorgeous as usual. The boys seem to like this song. They looked happy.

Angele Dei
Dominik Clarke did the solo. He started a little out of breath and tense, possibly because of nerves. The big boys were back for this song. As Dominik went on, he seemed more focused and calm and he performed with a beautiful, deep, rounded, and gentle voice.

The Prayer
Daniel White did the solo. All boys were kneeling behind Daniel who was standing, including the big boys. The flutist started the song. Daniel was smiling the whole song, clearly enjoying his performance. Daniel’s voice was quite spectacular tonight. He sang with a voice so pure it was quite breathtaking.

Salve Regina
Tadgh Fitzgerald did the solo. The big boys were back for this song. Tadgh has a sweet voice, slightly raspy like Victor’s. Tadgh was visibly nervous at the beginning of the song. He looked uncomfortable. He finished the song with a great voice.

From a Distance
Victor Wiggin did the solo and Samuel Collins did the descant. The big boys were in this song. Another great night for Victor! Another flawless performance, but no smile. Mr. Smiley did not smile while he was singing, only when he did his speech with Alexandre Menuet. Victor’s voice seems to get better every time I hear him. I love his raspy, gentle voice! I hope this song is recorded with him singing it.

Stay with me
Oliver Mycka sang an outstanding solo. Samuel Collins was up on a perch on the back right side of the stage. Sam was excellent on the descant. Oliver sounded a little raspy, like Victor, on this song. Oliver also gets better with every song. He looks so calm when he sings. His voice is sweet and gentle. The big boys were not on this song.

Angel
Daniel White did the solo. The big boys were back for this song. Daniel’s gorgeous voice was perfectly smooth and controlled. He had a broad smile during the whole song. He was clearly enjoying his performance. He is very sure of himself and his awesome ability as a singer. He has great stage presence. I think he took up the boss job from Leo Barron. Great job Daniel!

Voca Me
Descant by nine year old Luca Brugnoli. WOW!!! Luca was astonishing. His descant was Tom Delgado-Little quality, and that is a big compliment. We can expect many more great descants from him. Luca was on a perch on the back right side of the stage. Victor and Oliver Watt-Rodriguez were in front of the others in the middle. The big boys were back on stage.

Joyful, Joyful
Big arch with all the boys on stage. Samuel, Luca, Neo, and Daniel were doing the high notes from the right of the stage. For most of the concert, those four boys stood together at the end of the right side doing the high notes.

Intermission

How shall I sing the majesty

Dominik Clarke did the magnificent solo. All the boys were in for this one. Dominik started the first verse by himself and then the other boys came into the stage and joined him. Dominik is intense and he pours himself into his songs. He has a slight vibrato on his beautiful voice. He was completely focused and confident in this song. He deserves to be recorded before his coming voice deepening. He is twelve already. Daniel was doing high notes and you could clearly hear him a bit louder than the other singers.

Wonderful World
The marvelous Victor Wiggin did the solo. The big boys were in this song. Victor’s smile was back. What a fantastic voice he has! Victor sings with such feeling and tenderness. He needs to be recorded. I hope they do a video of him singing this song and put it on YouTube. I saw the Libera photographer recording the concert.

In Paradisum
Oliver Watt-Rodriguez did the solo. The big boys left the stage. This was the goosebumps song of the night for me. Oliver was calm and confident. His pronunciation was sharp; I could understand every Latin word. It was an impressive performance of an extremely difficult song. When he did the Jerusalem and the Aeternam parts my heart just melted. He was that awesome and so humble when I thanked him on the signing line. You were great Oliver!

How great thou art
Mathias Montoro did the short solo at the beginning of the song. The big boys came back. Mathias has a clear, smooth, beautiful alto voice. He reminds me of when Alex Gula did the song. The last verse of the song was a Capella.

Always with me
Oliver Mycka did the solo. Luca Brugnoli did a great descant from a perch on the back right side of the stage. Oliver was breathtaking in this song. For me, it was the best performance of the night. Oliver had a clear, soft, very beautiful voice on this song. He gets better every time. He is another remarkable singer that needs to be recorded. You were awesome Oliver!

Amazing Grace
Cassius Collard did the solo. He has a very sweet, pretty voice. He sounds younger than he is with an innocence that makes his voice more gentle. Kneeling in a small arch were: Mathias Montoro, Ben Bywater, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Oliver Mycka, Victor Wiggin, Dominik Clarke, Cassius Collard, Tadgh Fitzgerald, Samuel Collins, Luca Brugnoli, Daniel White, and Neo Parson. The rest of the boys were standing behind them, including the big boys.

Libera
Duet of Tadgh Fitzgerald and Neo Parson. Their beautiful voices blend perfectly. I believe Neo did the higher notes. Tadgh was at ease for this song facing Neo in the front of the other boys. Awesome job boys!

Poor Little Jesus
Luca Brugnoli did a beautiful but short solo. It is a gorgeous song which shows the perfectly balanced harmonies of Libera.

Exsultate
Samuel Collins did a brilliant solo. I wish they had done the solo at the beginning of the song so we could hear more of Samuel’s beautiful voice. He is sounding more mature. Now that they have Luca, maybe Samuel can do whole solos.

America the beautiful
This was the encore song. Of course the fans know it is coming. It is only a surprise for the new people. The song was amazing as usual. They boys always give their all. It is the grand finale of the concert and also their thanks to us Americans for making them feel welcome. Libera boys are always grateful, modest, humble, polite, and of course, extremely talented.

The venue
It was a small, theater like room. Sadly, it was only half full. They boys were on a stage clearly seen from any seat since the seats were higher the farther back you got. I was so close I could hear them clearer than any time before. The music was soft when the boys were singing, louder on the musical parts.

The best performances were by Oliver Mycka and Victor Wiggin who both need to be recorded on CD or DVD as soon as possible. Also awesome were Daniel White, Domink Clarke, and Oliver Watt-Rodriguez. It would be great if some of the live concert songs were put on Youtube.

Thank you to all the sponsors, chaperones, staff, and Mr. Robert Prizeman for giving us the gift of Libera!!!
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It’s hard to imagine Dominik being 12 years of age as he looks about 9 and every time somebody points out his age I am generally shocked.

I hope he can keep his voice for a few more years to come as he has a very soft gentle talking voice and obviously doesn’t look his age.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Thanks, egorbea,for giving the boys' names in full in your reviews. For the Libera Historical Timeline, which has been ongoing since 2007, just mentioning a "Sam" (of which there have been seven) or a "Matthew" (ditto) might well be confusing five years from now, and especially for new fans, so I always have to spend quite a bit of time filling in last names when publishing Timeline reviews. You attention to this detail is much appreciated!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for your review and commentary about the concert, egorbea! Your excitement and joy are so evident in your review that I couldn't help but smile while reading. Isn't it amazing how much the venue changes the experience of the concert itself? Although most of my concerts have been in cathedrals (4 of 5) there is a distinct contrast in hearing them in a concert hall; and I am sure that hearing them in such an intimate setting like you did in OKC would be even more unique. I agree that so many of the boys need to be recorded as soon as possible, and it seems that Robert Prizeman agrees with you given the upcoming CD ;). With that being said, Libera so consistently delivers a top-quality performance that even when they are not at their absolute best they are still exceptionally good and their concerts nothing short of inspiring.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

[quote=Egorbea2018 post_id=54603 time=1564583513 user_id=2152]

Always with you
Oliver Mycka did the solo. Wow! Oliver’s voice is very soft, sweet, and very pleasant. This is his song. He did it perfectly. The very difficult descant was done by Luca Brugnoli. Luca was very impressive. We can expect great descants from him in the future, since he is only 9 years old. (I believe the only recording of this song was by Tom Cully on the solo and Liam Connery on descant).

I have to make a correction to my own review. I just watched the Leiden Concert version of Always with you. The solo and the descant are both done by the legendary Thomas Cully.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

It requires a subscription to be able to listen to it. It has a little icon on the top right side of the Libera picture. Click it and you see the programs available for the subscription.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 am">4 years ago</span>
It requires a subscription to be able to listen to it. It has a little icon on the top right side of the Libera picture. Click it and you see the programs available for the subscription.
I'm afraid I'm having some trouble with this. Are you referring to the RSS subscription button?

I installed an RSS extension into my web browser just to see whether it would give me any further options and here is what I have. Clicking the 7/25 link just gets me back to the original page that references the Libera interview.

I also had a look at the XML file that the RSS feed is based on and I see no links to any sort of audio.

Sorry if I am missing something staring me right in the face but I think that it would be great if you could either direct us to the URL where the interview could be accessed or maybe clarify whatever it is I may be missing. :D
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Sorry. I don't know anything about these things. What about that subscribe now button?
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:27 pm">4 years ago</span> Isn't it amazing how much the venue changes the experience of the concert itself? Although most of my concerts have been in cathedrals (4 of 5) there is a distinct contrast in hearing them in a concert hall; and I am sure that hearing them in such an intimate setting like you did in OKC would be even more unique.With that being said, Libera so consistently delivers a top-quality performance that even when they are not at their absolute best they are still exceptionally good and their concerts nothing short of inspiring.
The Oklahoma concert was not in a concert hall. It was just a small room the shape of a movie theater. Being in the second row, I was about eight feet from the stage which is why I was able to see details I did not catch in the enormous cathedral (where the 1st row was more than 25 ft. away from the boys). I could see the boys’ faces and expressions clearly. It was quite enjoyable. The usual light show that accompanies Libera concerts did not work in this room since the lights were on the roof. Only blue lights made any change. There were for the most part in regular white light. Libera’s voices were pure and natural since the sound system only made them louder. All this made my experience much different from a concert in a church (I have gone to 3) or in a cathedral (1 in St Louis). Its simplicity made it beautiful and special to me.

The Cathedral Basilica of St Louis concert was a superior concert experience. Libera was outstanding in both concerts this year. I am glad my enthusiasm showed on my reviews. I want fans to enjoy it through me, like I do when I read non USA concert reviews. The cathedral’s acoustics were magnificent and it enhanced the boys’ voices and made them even more gorgeous. The way the boys’ voices resonated in the humongous cathedral is what made it so different for me from concerts in regular churches. The light show in the cathedral was out of this world. The way the different colored lights reflected on the cathedral’s dome, marble walls, and mosaics made the atmosphere so ethereal and beautiful.

Of course, Libera would be spectacular even on an open field. And they were at their best in both concerts even with some minor technical difficulties. I am thankful I was able to attend two fabulous and very different concerts this year.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I have one question regarding the Oklahoma City venue where Libera had their concert. As best I can tell, the space they performed in looks different and smaller than the space where the church holds their services. Am I correct, or is it the same 'room'?
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

Here are all the boys on the 2019 US Tour. Photos taken at Oklahoma City Meet & Greet.

====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan