Libera in Moscow - December 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

andmar
Silver Member

Re: Libera in Moscow - December 2018

Post by andmar »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:56 pm">5 years ago</span> I was surprised to discover, when checking the statistics for the Libera Historical Timeline, that Russians are consistently in the top five on the list of countries checking in. For Part One, they come in second, between the US and the UK. Slovakia is also in the top ten.
Oh, that's really interesting. I'd love to hear some voice from Russia here. BTW, are there any hits from Poland as well?
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm">5 years ago</span> Splendid review! Sounds like a wonderful night :D

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 pm">5 years ago</span> I really love it, when Tadhg says “This is Moose, the REAL Moose…” . So funny.
Glad you mentioned that, I totally agree :) His enthusiasm is contagious!

Wonderful that Eimear was there again with the boys. Her solo work really adds to the concert experience. I missed her too in Brighton.

Some mention has been made about Rocco's (changing) voice. Whatever the case may be, let's not forget these are kids. We sometimes tend to approach them like professional singers of the highest standard. Yes, their singing is tremendously good and they have exceptional talent, nurtured by training and support from their families, teachers, friends - but they're still ordinary boys. It's quite something to get out there and sing, to be on stage and sing a solo - you're so vulnerable and yes, we see that sometimes on their faces and body language. Completely understandable. Please consider this when discussing their vocal performances. Maybe it's because I work with children but I'd rather focus on their achievements than on the things we hoped they would have done (slightly) better.

One more thing, in light of the above and the mention of Ben B's solo in Ave Maria - for me, in Brighton, this was a crowning achievement (so far anyway :)) of his capabilities as a singer. Hearing him sing Eternal Light in Ely was such a joy and I truly feel I have seen and heard him blossom as a singer and performer during the past year. He can be very proud of himself - and hopefully we will hear much more of the wonderful instrument he has.
Thank you maartendas. Yes, it was a really wonderful night. There was actually only one serious drawback - it was over way too soon. :lol: :lol:

I fully agree with you. There are kids singing in Libera, but they are so good, that maybe we, in fact, sometimes forget about it.

Anyway, I appreciate the achievements of all of them a lot. I can only imagine how much work, commitment and heart all of them put into singing with Libera. Would they be able to sing that well otherwise?

Rocco is a wonderful soloist with a beautiful voice, which for me sounds similar to woodwind (wasn't it you, maartendas, who first noticed that?) in the lower part of his range. In fact, I was surprised, that Rocco is capable of beautifully singing also much higher what is required for "In Paradisum".

Ben is an outstanding singer as well. I find his performance with the sextet stunning, in both "Nearer My god To Thee" and "Silent Night" recently. His second harmonic part sung in duet with Merlin is just incredible as is his solo in "Eternal Light".
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Amie_Hill wrote: <span title="Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:56 pm">5 years ago</span> I was surprised to discover, when checking the statistics for the Libera Historical Timeline, that Russians are consistently in the top five on the list of countries checking in. For Part One, they come in second, between the US and the UK. Slovakia is also in the top ten.
Wouldn't have guessed that!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Apologies for writing such a long review. But as we sadly were only a handful of fans attending and won't have many reviews to carry the details together, I hope this will excuse its length.

Moscow - a jewel of a concert

It stood out for me anyway for mere practical reasons. Normally, I'm pleased with Libera's concert here around, because what could be more convenient than having Libera one flight hour before my house door, quite reliably being able to see two concerts every year? But then the first hints about the Moscow concert arose, that it would take place in the newly built Philharmonic Hall there and that Libera would be part of its opening season after the official opening in September 2018. And this combination was simply too attractive for me to resist. All in me shouted: "It's a once-in-a-lifetime event - just DO it!" And how glad I am I obeyed myself and how very much I savoured every moment of this marvelous concert!

But calm down and keep an order, although, after one week now, I'm still under the concert's impression. It started at 7:00 pm, doors opened at 6:00 pm and of course we were there ...

P1150970 Zaryadye Hall - concert night.JPG
P1150970 Zaryadye Hall - concert night.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5911 times
P1150970 Zaryadye Hall - concert night.JPG
P1150970 Zaryadye Hall - concert night.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 5911 times

... but inside had to control our impatience, because we weren't permitted to enter the hall (the room) itself until a quarter of an hour before the concert began, which is late. Among talks, we spent the time studying the programme or rather: the flyer, as it wasn't more than that, small and four-sided and cost 50 RUB. The boys' names were not listed, which was alright for me, but I did miss a listing of the individual instrumentalists. However, there was no space for that, and almost all other dates I demand from a programme at least - song titles with credits to composers, texters, arrangers - were there, all both in Russian and English.

From a Russian fan we learned about some funny translations of the English titles. So did you know that ...

... In the Bleak Midwinter means "During the bleak solstice"?
... Voca Me means "You love me"?
... I am the Day means "I am on the next day"?
:lol:

Well, better for us that this last translation was not the accurate one that very evening. :P

I had secured a seat in the second row. By a very kind offer, I was thankfully able to move to the middle of the front row, from where I experienced the concert nearer than ever before. This can't be surpassed anymore I think, just wonderful, and I was already looking forward to watching Robert conduct from so close. :D If the concert had been sold out, there might have been a space issue, because Robert sat, as usually, before the stage, but there was actually no leg room left for the one who would have been seated behind him. It's something Libera in the future must clarify in advance. However, quite a number of seats in the front row, which had not been available anymore almost completely already when I ordered my ticket, remained empty. It was so strange to see this. Perhaps, there are people who have a subscription for the seats and didn't attend? Anyway, someone of the philharmonics staff asked three people of the second row if they'd like to move to the front row, as otherwise they'd be seated behind the conductor and thus have a restricted view. Two of them followed this thoughtful offer, being visibly happy. Front row can mean neck dislocation, but nothing of that here, as the stage was not very high. I had the best view ever!

People came streaming in still at 7:00 and at the end the hall looked nicer than at my last look at the occupancy a few days ago.

This has been my seventh concert and a ranking is becoming harder. It sure can be called my night of the goosebumps. In no other Libera concert I was showered with them so frequently. This concert was already different for me due to its location in a concert hall and not in a church. I always find that Libera is predestinated for concerts in cathedrals. Vallendar had been more like a hall, too, but a philharmonic hall is exactly planned for the purpose of performing music there and so the acoustic results are the essential when planning construction and material, the kind of woods, used. That's why I was extremely curious about the acoustics there and it was magnificent indeed, wow, such bright, transparent sound! In Moscow I heard a lot I had not realised before, it sometimes even confused me a bit. :wink:
One negative aspect though was the disturbing noise of the ventilation system, which was permanently present. I hope that something can be done about that.
The organ pipes are right behind the stage and their arrangement is designed according (yes ... :wink: ) to the typical curves of the building and the construction details inside.
The lighting choreography of a Libera concert of course is not as easy in a sober hall as in a cathedral, where the church-own colours, edges, bows, domes etc. can be utilised to strengthen the effects. But I think they did use the reflecting organ pipes and it was good.

P1150975 Zaryadye Hall - organ.JPG
P1150975 Zaryadye Hall - organ.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 5911 times
P1150975 Zaryadye Hall - organ.JPG
P1150975 Zaryadye Hall - organ.JPG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 5911 times

The song list was the same as in Brighton, so Brighton worked equally as an original concert and as a dress rehearsal for Moscow:

Do You Hear What I Hear?
(Ben B., Camden, Oliver WR, Sam)
Sanctus
In the Bleak Midwinter (Dominik)
Stay With Me (Oliver M., Sam)
Ave Maria (Prizeman) (Ben B.)
Wexford Carol (Tadhg)
In Paradisum (Rocco, Oliver WR)
Smile (Victor, Alex M.)
How Great Thou Art (Oliver WR)
Voca Me (Leo)
I Saw Three Ships

- Interval -

Carol of the Bells (Cassius)
From a Distance (Merlin)
Wayfaring Stranger (Victor)
Gaudete (Sam)
I am the Day (Dominik, Oliver M., Peter)
Joyful Joyful
Not part of the official programme: Silent Night (Merlin, Ben B., Mathias, Victor, Rocco, Leo)
Libera (Tadhg, Rocco)

Encore: In Dulci Jubilo

There were 26 to 30 boys on stage. I'm not sure if I've sorted every detail right, writing my review out of memory as usual, and if not I gladly stand corrected, but here I think all boys were on stage for the first song, then the four older boys (Alex G. and M., Camden and Marc) left, returning for Stay With Me.

Do You Hear What I Hear?
The opening song to a splendid concert and how lovely it was! The third and best performance of the song I've heard by them so far. I love the concentrated beginning of only four solo voices, with special appreciation of Camden being one of them with his beautiful voice, while the other boys subtly came in to join them. And while the echoes developed, I felt this mingling of voices and harmonies to be particularly intense this night. Lean back and absorb.

Sanctus
They positioned to a long semi-circle with the purpose to let us count them.

No-no, silly joke. But it truly is a nice formation to let your eyes just wander from one boy to the next and equally value them. The song is much more welcome to me than its former versions and the choir's sound was beaming and strong.

In the Bleak Midwinter
This was my first goosebumps song out of a long row of more to follow. Again, what an arrangement this is! Harmony joins harmony, the song flowers out from darkness to light, becoming more and more friendly, more and more gentle, getting more and more life. I admire that, because it just conveys such a strong message. This song is full of increasing hope, Libera sang it softly, Dominik's solo was excellent again, and after the song I found myself in tears.

Stay With Me
I find that Oliver M. is constantly improving with this song. Seems as if he gains confidence, which is deserved! And Sam sang stunning vocalises. There were in no way start-up troubles like in Brighton, he was on spot right from the beginning. As we'd call it here, he did "1a" during the evening.

Ave Maria (Prizeman)
This is one of my favourite Libera songs of all and Libera sang it in the gentle way we know. One thing enriching my concert experience was to here and there put myself into the position of someone in the Moscow audience, pretending to have no or only a vague idea of Libera. I enjoyed that because it gave me a fresh listen and let me imagine the first-time marveling at Libera's music once more. I did it especially with this song, because the East European music disposes of particularly beautiful melodies and the predominant mode are minor keys, which give the music that nostalgic touch I love so much. So I was hoping that the Russian audience would love this song in particular, too.

Wexford Carol
I wish for more Tadhg solos! His voice is amazing and I only want to encourage him to a little bit more courage. :) Minor issue though, as I thoroughly enjoyed his singing and the whole song, which, in the Libera version, caresses my soul. It has something meditative by the gently swaying harmonies and the soft sound of the choir. When I hear Libera sing this song, there is a calm gladness spreading in me and it was no different this night. A pure delight, so moving!

In Paradisum
... was intoxicating! Rocco's solo at the beginning was in pitch, though not fully secure in tone. But this was quickly past and in the refrains his voice shone with brilliance! Clean top notes, clearest melodies. Together with the harmonies of the choir and the instruments, the music enfolded me completely, carried me away and suddenly I felt the urgent wish for a third verse to prolong the song's impact. I heard it live for the third time now and of course I had heard it x times on CD, but today I enjoyed it more than ever. - Rocco was standing in the middle of the circles. In each verse he sang the first lines alone and was then joined by Merlin, singing the same voice. In the second verse the duet between Rocco and Oliver WR followed - enchanting. Rocco always looks so introvert and Oliver always looks like the calm itself. Very nice.

Smile
See, Victor? How wonderful you were today, your singing was just flawless! :D This hopefully gives Victor enough confidence to re-gain his smile we love so much in this song. In fact, he was serious again this time, probably remembering Brighton, but after this concert at the latest he should well forget about those minor things of the past.

How Great Thou Art
An enjoyment through and through, enhanced by the very charming voice of Oliver WR.

Voca Me
WOOOW! Voca Me was gorgeous! At the beginning, the brilliant acoustics of the hall actually managed to deceive me, because the first sounds felt unfamiliar and I feared that something was going wrong. But it was all due to the extremely differentiated sound which revealed itself especially here and after my initial confusion it was superb! I mostly enjoyed Leo's look and performance. My seat allowed me a direct view on him through the boys. He stood behind them on the right side, a bit turned away from the stage and the smartest move was: He wore his hood! This plus seeing him in profile made only the robe visible, but not Leo himself anymore and so it actually looked like a ghost standing there. Fantastic enigmatic effect, which more than compensated the venue being not a cathedral with the song-corresponding mysterious atmosphere, but a very secularist hall!
And then Leo's vocalises from there: pin sharp! The choir: great! The way to the climax: perfectly executed! Libera overwhelmed the audience with this performance of Voca Me and when it ended, the first bravo calls of the night resounded. The audience's reaction made me extremely happy, because it is one of my two favourite Libera songs. There were more bravo calls to come in the further course of the concert, and what is not appropriate in a church is no problem in such a hall. Superfluous to mention that Voca Me made me shiver with goosebumps!

I Saw Three Ships
I liked the song even better than in Brighton, maybe because there was literally more room for the power of the song, as the intensity was the same. The boys were divided in groups with six boys on the left, seven on the right, in a diagonal pointing towards the middle, where the remaining 13 boys were standing. Three ships, three groups. The song itself may not seem Libera-like, but it's all a matter of the arrangement, and Sam's arrangement is very Libera-like. Who can resist such force?! There was a rousing instrumental increase from the second to the final verse. The best song to send the audience into the interval with most positive feelings about the first half of a concert.

During the interval, drinks were served in the foyer, but instead I had a very nice chat with my Russian neighbours, who, musically experienced themselves, asked me plenty of questions about Libera, which I was happy to answer. They definitely enjoyed the concert and I know they listened and watched carefully. Interesting enough, they were wondering why the boys were so serious and whether they were told so. Which I negated saying that, on the contrary, Robert tries his best to make them smile. Conductors' fate, I'd say. :mrgreen: I just think they are so concentrated that smiles don't come easy.

Carol of the Bells
Yesyesyes! There it was back, the impetus that I had missed in Brighton! The formation was the same as in Three Ships: 6 - 13 - 7, by which they in a very clever way linked the two halves of the concert after the interval's interruption, and furthermore the first half ended and the second half began with Libera's most energising, powerful songs. The part I love most and wait for every time, i. e. the last "from everywhere filling the air, oh how they pound" was thrilling! :D At the end Cassius walked to the front and melted everybody's heart with his solo: With his first line, "Ding-dong, ding-dong", there came a subdued aw-sound from the audience, and I felt the same way. They were about to clap, as it often happens at that part, but Cassius could finish the song. Super-sweet ending after a stormy song!

From a Distance
Merlin sang another great solo on this song, the choir sound was full and round. I love Merlin's special pronunciation. When one day he has to hand this solo over to the next boy, I will miss him.

Wayfaring Stranger
We now come to my top favourite of the concert. In an earlier review I stated that the performances of this song are always good. But today ... it wasn't only good. It conveyed an atmosphere of unity within the Libera choir I have never noticed before to such dimensions. The flute intro, played by Eimear McGeown from the side front of the stage, lighted by a spot, was already very mystic. Then Victor walked forward, singing his enchanting solo. But when the choir sound unfurled to the full, rich harmonies and they stood there singing so straight, it was an incredibly strong impression of closeness as if they wanted to say: "We are one. We are there for each other no matter what and we love it." Up to now, I have considered the arrangement as the consoling idea of said wayfaring stranger not having to go his hard way alone, but with friends around to comfort him. However, this time it actually seemed to refer, at least in addition, to the Libera boys themselves, belonging together. And this filled me with warm joy and peace. This very presentation of Wayfaring Stranger electrified me.

Gaudete
As mentioned above, Sam had a very successful night! When he started alone, he seemed a bit nervous, but as soon as he could embed his voice into the choir sound, he gained more courage - something I can relate to very well - and he sang out the top notes totally on spot with a crystal clear voice. Fantastic sound, which I enormously enjoyed. Strangely, I heard a new part or a newly arranged part in the song, but I don't know if I just hadn't noticed it before. But if there is really something new built into the song, could that be a hint that it will appear on the new Christmas album?

I am the Day
This song is a great pleasure to have in a live programme. And I repeat: I enjoy Dominik's way of singing, not only soloing, but also in the choir. He seems very independent in its most positive way, which means: not ignoring Robert or acting outside the choir group's requirements, but securely knowing what to do in every moment. And I'm certain about his excellent feeling of rhythm, witnessed in Brighton, confirmed in Moscow.
A refined concinnity was created by Leo singing the vocalises and Alex M. responding to him: Leo stood in the front, sidewards, with his face to the left. Alex was in the back, sidewards as well, with his face to the right. Harmonious in harmony.

Joyful Joyful
The audiences like it more than I do. It was very good, but I don't care much for the song.

Silent Night
The known sextet with a whiff of instrumental accompaniment in the middle part - such a stirring arrangement of this infinitely beautiful song. And the audience ... although they were so eager to clap that evening, they never cut a song off with their applause and after Silent Night, they remained still for a short while. Very empathic audience throughout.

Libera
The song was a powerful commitment that Libera is Libera and it caused me goosebumps once more.

At the end of the concert there was - due to a certain awe of this kind of venue, I guess - no complete standing ovation, yet frenetic applause! They really were a very appreciative of the music, and I felt very happy about Libera's success as well as about the respect the audience showed to Libera.

Robert was called up on stage, received flowers from the venue staff, the encore In Dulci Jubilo was sung and afterwards Libera left the stage, waving and accompanied by the ongoing clapping of their grateful audience ... but not by a very small person, who still kept cowering on stage. The technicians, who were cleaning up, ignored the lonely Libera Moose. This heartbreaking sight evoked my motherly feelings. So when after a while we had to go, I couldn't hold back anymore and asked a technician to bring Moose to the boys. And he immediately (!) reacted, transporting Moose with great care in his hands behind the stage, and I'm relieved he wasn't moosenapped on his way, because: Who can resist such eyes? Thanks to that comprehensive technician. :lol:

P1150980-79 Alone.JPG
P1150980-79 Alone.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
P1150980-79 Alone.JPG
P1150980-79 Alone.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 5911 times

Speeches
The not so secret stars of the concert were those who held the Russian speeches, Dominik, Oliver M. and Jack. Dominik and Oliver held one together, while Jack had one on his own, and directly after Dominik's first sentence, the audience clapped. And so it continued: Each and every sentence he said was followed by applause. The audience was unstoppable. I admired Dominik for not losing the thread by such steady interruption, but it shows that his speech was not simply learnt by heart. He was absolutely professional as were all three boys, all of them fluent! I can't remember anymore the audience's clapping behaviour during Oliver's speech, but I do remember their enthusiasm about getting such a present from Libera: speeches in their language. What a grateful audience!

And then the moment arrived for me to experience that even a speech can make me cry. After Jack's super-fluent Russian speech, the audience rewarded him with the longest applause of the evening, not ebbing away over the whole time. How very happy they made this child that night! And I wondered if he would be able to sleep later on, after such excitement and triumph, sure unforgettable for him forever. He stepped back to his place with a huge smile on his face, literally from one ear to the other. I have never seen a happier Libera boy and the memory still moves me to tears. Awww! :)

Well, no-one can reproach the audience to have been sleepy. :mrgreen: Introducing Moose, Tadhg had scarcely finished the words "This is Moose", when right away the audience started clapping and thus prevented Tadhg from continuing. He in turn couldn't help laughing, and it was fun to watch him having fun.

Some more moments:

It was of highest interest for me to watch the interaction between Robert and the boys, which I could follow very well, as I was sitting so close to Robert, especially his facial signs. I extensively utilised this ideal opportunity. Robert's movements are restrained, but extremely precise. He shows them the ending point of a song, then waits to let the audience clap, while the choir is standing still, then gives them a sign to change their position, if required. He also indicates when to start with a speech. All he does is unambiguous, and the boys follow with highest attention. He also gives them signs by his facial expression. And sometimes the baton wanders from the right to the left hand and conducts from there, no problem. :wink:

A good number of the boys must have had a cold, as there was quite some coughing and sneezing. However, it didn't disturb the least, on the contrary, it makes it all so human (without wishing them a cold, of course! :shock: ) I also noticed someone yawning, favourably happening during an "ah". Or was the yawning triggered by the "ah"? :lol:

One of the boys had no shoes and stood there in white socks. So good that they can just wear socks instead of shoes in case they forget them, But what will happen if one of the boys forgets his robe? Do the chaperones bring a robe in reserve to be sure? Well, Romeo at least won't have that shoe problem, as his robe is so long that it reaches down on the ground, thus covering his feet so that he can wear green shoes, black shoes, no shoes, no socks, whatever. 8) :P :wink:

There is a lot you can do with your feet during a concert, and I had plenty of fun watching one boy whose feet kept leading their own life: standing on the outer edges was highly popular, but also putting one foot upon the other or standing on one leg only ... While there was no negative influence on the singer's concentration.

After the concert, some of us waited outside to see them off from a distance and it was another fun moment, when they at first just naturally went to the bus's left side to enter. The British side. :arrow: :wink:

Highlight after highlight, goosebumps and tears. This describes my concert night and I had never expected that to such an extreme. I wish there had been more of you to experience and enjoy this unique concert together with us few! I can only hope Libera felt for themselves how fabulous they were and how much they gave the audience with their music. They no doubt won them over. For me, it was the first time to have two concerts in such a short period of only two weeks, and now I know: The shorter the time between them, the higher my addiction for another Libera concert. :shock: :D

Dear Libera and everyone who made this concert possible, I don't know how to thank you for this incredibly breath-taking evening! It has left a profound impression in me, which I will never forget.

:D :D :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Wonderful review Sabine. So wish I could have been there but these reviews are the next best thing. Many Thanks.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, John, great to hear! You were missed. You'd have had almost exactly my view on the stage. :)
Funny that you called Jack's success with the audience a triumph, too. I've only just discovered it, catching up now with reading. There is no better word for it, indeed. :wink:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

An incredible review, filiarheni! Such amazing details and words that clearly exist but that I have never seen used before (concinnity :shock:) :lol:. Thank you so much for this review and your always colorful commentary. The way you write adds a unique color and impression to the review which cannot be replicated.
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 pm">5 years ago</span>
Highlight after highlight, goosebumps and tears. This describes my concert night and I had never expected that to such an extreme. I wish there had been more of you to experience and enjoy this unique concert together with us few! I can only hope Libera felt for themselves how fabulous they were and how much they gave the audience with their music. They no doubt won them over. For me, it was the first time to have two concerts in such a short period of only two weeks, and now I know: The shorter the time between them, the higher my addiction for another Libera concert. :shock: :D

Dear Libera and everyone who made this concert possible, I don't know how to thank you for this incredibly breath-taking evening! It has left a profound impression in me, which I will never forget.

:D :D :D
:D I think that it is possible that I have never read a more apt description of the effect that their music has had on many of us. Bravo!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Agreed, Surpinto. A wonderful review which actually moved me. I hope some of the parents and the boys get to read it as well - and Robert ofcourse!

As John said, the reviews are a way of knowing what the concert experience was like, so we are very lucky to have them :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

Sabine, I'm in awe of how you were able to describe not only your feelings during the event, but also how you described in detail the performance itself! I felt the goosebumps at several points during your review! :P I do wonder if reviews like yours get back to Libera staff, even Robert Prizeman? It could show them what kind of effect their work is having on the audience. Thanks for the very nice review :D
"with a down derry, derry down down"
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Fantastic review Filiarheni! I am grateful for all of you who write such detailed, heartfelt, reviews. Maybe one day I will meet you at the next USA Libera concert. Hopefully the Libera boys read the reviews too so they know how much they are appreciated. It makes me wish that a concert like that had been filmed into a DVD. Maybe we will get a surprise and they will release a DVD of one of the many 2018 concerts!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, Andrzej, for your long review and your photos, illustrating the concert experience! You are so right, it was wonderful and unique and I am so grateful to have had the chance to make this trip. :D

andmar wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:05 pm">5 years ago</span>
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:20 pm">5 years ago</span> Did it occured before that the program wasn't prepared by Libera, with the setlist... ? It seems a bit strange to me. We're so used to these programs, even with individual pictures of the boys sometimes in Asia...
As far as I know last time in Moscow there wasn't a usual Libera programme either. They were a part of a music festival then. This time it looked much more like the venue was in charge of organizing everything, including programmes. No CDs or other merchandise were on sale either, not to mention a M&G.
In 2015, there were pages for Libera in the programme, which you can see here:
http://www.libera-songs.de/konzerte/pro ... moskau.pdf

The Vallendar concert in 2016 was a quite spontaneous one, as you can see from the very simple programme, only consisting of normal paper, but containing all information and the lyrics:
http://www.libera-songs.de/konzerte/pro ... lendar.pdf

Thank you all for reading my review and for your very kind responses, some of which actually brought tears to my eyes! After such a concert experience, it's the best to have a forum to let one's feelings out to people, who understand better than anyone else what is talked about (and are even grateful for it), and thus a real sharing is possible. And nothing is more rewarding than hearing that someone was able to feel/see by mere words, which I don't take for granted. I know this for myself mostly from your reviews, Maarten. :)

I may have a small correction of myself about Cassius: That "Aw" by the audience towards him was possibly not, when he sang the first line in Carol of the Bells, but when he had a speech. I can't remember, but anyway, the audience was that tugged at him at some point.

@Jay
What I haven't mentioned there: When I saw Leo in Voca Me, I immediately associated this view with your profile picture, as it was almost exactly the same view for me! :mrgreen: So you were at the concert in my mind. :)

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:09 pm">5 years ago</span> Such amazing details and words that clearly exist but that I have never seen used before (concinnity :shock:) :lol:
:lol: How elevating to shock you and extend a native speaker's vocabulary with rarities! :P I didn't know "concinnity" either, but the dictionary's offer, "balance", as translation for the word I was looking for was too everyday-like and weak for me, while I found its translation back with exquisite expressions like "equilibrium, fineness, harmonious junction, elegance" no less than adequate, and so I decided to give the word a chance. :lol:

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:01 am">5 years ago</span> It makes me wish that a concert like that had been filmed into a DVD. Maybe we will get a surprise and they will release a DVD of one of the many 2018 concerts!
Regarding a surprise DVD, isn't it that, for data protection, the audience has to agree in advance, for example by buying the concert ticket where this was explicitly said, to publishing film recordings of themselves? Because a DVD always contains sights of people in the audience. That's why I can't imagine a surprise DVD, but I won't give up my hope either for a live DVD in the near future. But ...such a production devours a lot of money, as Robert certainly demands not less than highest quality, which also includes the one or the other repetition of a song at concerts.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks for the incredibly detailed reviews andmar and filarheni.
While we didn't have a high number of reviews, the quality of what we did have was excellent!
I appreciate the effort that each of you put into describing the details - big and small - that help
those of us who weren't there to attend vicariously.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks to Andrzej and Sabine for their fantastic and insightful reviews - I can only echo the praise that everybody else has given in that it really does transport us to the concert through your eyes and ears.

I'm so pleased that Jack's Russian speech was so well received. I had no idea what he was saying at Brighton (or how well he said it) but he did it with great confidence. This I find amazing because I was terrified of public speaking well in to my adult years and so the fact that these lads can get on stage and perform and do solos and speeches at their young age fills me with admiration. Bravo to each and every one of them.

At St Philip's after the Nine Lessons service I was lucky enough to catch a quick work with Eleanor and I congratulated her and the 'team' on the outstanding concert performances this year. I think in the 10 years I have been going to concerts they have never been so consistently good in their performances as they have been this year. I thought Ely was fantastic but it seems they just got better and better as the year went on.

Let's hope that 2019 brings more of the same (and of course more of the new as well :lol: )
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, Tom and Yorkie, hope to meet you one day at a concert, Tom! :)

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm">5 years ago</span> I'm so pleased that Jack's Russian speech was so well received. I had no idea what he was saying at Brighton (or how well he said it) but he did it with great confidence. This I find amazing because I was terrified of public speaking well in to my adult years and so the fact that these lads can get on stage and perform and do solos and speeches at their young age fills me with admiration. Bravo to each and every one of them.
Same here exactly. And it will sure be advantageous for them to practise speaking in front of people during their childhood years, because this is the easiest time to get rid of such fear for later. So it also prepares them for their adult life. :)

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 pm">5 years ago</span> I thought Ely was fantastic but it seems they just got better and better as the year went on.
I can't say anything about last year's US and Japan concerts of course, yet Ely was wonderful indeed and a most intense enjoyment. As it took place in that incredible Cathedral, while the Moscow concert was in a concert hall, the outer conditions were different enough for me to decide not to compare them, but simply put both concerts on the same rank no. 1. :D :D
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:58 pm">5 years ago</span> Thank you, Andrzej, for your long review and your photos, illustrating the concert experience! You are so right, it was wonderful and unique and I am so grateful to have had the chance to make this trip. :D
Thank you Sabine for your wonderful review of the wonderful Moscow concert. And for your idea to go to Moscow. You remember, it was your fault that I ended up with two Moscow concert tickets on one evening in July 2018. :lol: :lol: Anyway, I'm really happy having made the trip to Moscow.

Crazy things happen because of Libera indeed. If, a couple of years ago, someone had told me I would have gone three times to the UK and once to Moscow to attend concerts of the same performer within a calendar year, I'd have found that person insane, really. Crazy things happen. :D :D :D