Libera in Moscow - December 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: Libera in Moscow - December 2018

Post by john45 »

This was the first Libera concert I have missed since the last Moscow concert in 2015. Your comprehensive review almost made me feel that I was there. I especially enjoyed reading about Jack’s triumph which I would have loved to witness. Thanks Andmar.
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

:D Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you very much for your review,Andmar.
It’s excellent and very detail.
Hum......I had to attend the concert.....

It’s a very nice review and I’ll read it again soon! :D
justin

Post by justin »

Thanks very much Andmar for your comprehensive review!

I agree with you regarding Rocco's solo for 'In Paradisum'. I've heard it live for 4 times: 3 times in Japan and once in Brighton, and I think the best was during the Tokyo concert. I'm unable to comment on his performances prior to the Japan tour, unfortunately. I'd like to start by stating that Rocco has a fantastically rich voice - with silky low notes and strong blasts of high notes - but it's apparent that he's starting to struggle quite a bit with the very high notes. For example, the words "jerusalem" and "aeternam" in 'In Paradisum' require Rocco to reach A5 (which is at the upper end of a typical treble's vocal range), whereas in 'Salve Regina', he would only need to reach E5 in "O Pia". In my opinion, he sounds the best between C4 to E5, where his voice is powerful and full of character. However, when he tries to push his voice to F5 and above, the stress could be clearly heard - his voice loses clarity and projection, and is unable to sustain the notes. Anyhow, even though its probably true that Rocco is slowly transitioning away from being a treble, I look forward to hearing his alto/tenor voice in the future :)

P.S I think Eimar's flute intro for "Wayfaring Stranger" is amazing, much better than the one at Brighton. I look forward to her flute performances every time!
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

As only three pictures per post are allowed, here and in the following posts I attach some more pictures from Moscow.

DSC07273.JPG
The Zaryadye Hall
DSC07273.JPG (404.46 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
The Zaryadye Hall
The Zaryadye Hall
DSC07273.JPG (404.46 KiB) Viewed 6312 times

DSC07312.JPG
The big screen showing the Libera announcement
DSC07312.JPG (312.58 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07312.JPG (312.58 KiB) Viewed 6312 times

Programme.jpg
The programme leaflet
Programme.jpg (471 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
The programme leaflet
The programme leaflet
Programme.jpg (471 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

DSC07506.JPG
DSC07506.JPG (319.12 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07506.JPG
DSC07506.JPG (319.12 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07508.JPG
DSC07508.JPG (306.16 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07508.JPG
DSC07508.JPG (306.16 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07510.JPG
DSC07510.JPG (295.03 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07510.JPG
DSC07510.JPG (295.03 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

DSC07511.JPG
At the end of the concert
DSC07511.JPG (290.4 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07511.JPG (290.4 KiB) Viewed 6312 times

DSC07512.JPG
DSC07512.JPG (297.45 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07512.JPG (297.45 KiB) Viewed 6312 times

DSC07530.JPG
After the concert - the view from the Zaryadye park
DSC07530.JPG (348.59 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
DSC07530.JPG (348.59 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you Andmar for your exhaustive review ! :D It felt almost like hearing the concert, thanks to the details you listed.
Did Ben B did the intro solo on Gaudete ? It was Samuel at Brighton.

I must agree that Eimear is better than everyone ! I must assume the flautist in Brighton was good, but I missed Eimear so much !

Moscow looked fantastic. So did the stage. Must have been wonderful and really in the Christmas atmosphere. I'm looking forward to hearing the boys in a concert hall by myself.

Did it occured before that the program wasn't prepared by Libera, with the setlist... ? It seems a bit strange to me. We're so used to these programs, even with individual pictures of the boys sometimes in Asia...
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:20 pm">5 years ago</span> Did Ben B did the intro solo on Gaudete ? It was Samuel at Brighton.
Oh, you are right. I checked my notes again and indeed it was Sam. I will provide a correction. Sorry.

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:20 pm">5 years ago</span> Did it occured before that the program wasn't prepared by Libera, with the setlist... ? It seems a bit strange to me. We're so used to these programs, even with individual pictures of the boys sometimes in Asia...
As far as I know last time in Moscow there wasn't a usual Libera programme either. They were a part of a music festival then. This time it looked much more like the venue was in charge of organizing everything, including programmes. No CDs or other merchandise were on sale either, not to mention a M&G.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Axe wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:56 pm">5 years ago</span> Thank you for your review. it's good. I'm Russian and I was on that concert. I'm a witness it was a perfect performance! I like Libera very much.
Thank you. And welcome to the forum. Maybe you can consider introducing yourself in the section Interoduce yourself. We are all curious how you found out about Libera and what are your experiences with their music so far.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

john45 wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:34 am">5 years ago</span> This was the first Libera concert I have missed since the last Moscow concert in 2015. Your comprehensive review almost made me feel that I was there. I especially enjoyed reading about Jack’s triumph which I would have loved to witness. Thanks Andmar.
Thank you, John. I missed you in Moscow. I wish you had been there. It felt kinda strange - a Libera concert without you. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you andmar for your brilliant and detailed review. I feel the same as others who said that reading this review makes you feel like you are there - and I wish I had been after reading that :lol:

I keep hearing accolades regarding this new "Three Ships" song and hope to hear it sung someday; it seems to have become an instant hit with a lot of fans in Brighton and now Moscow too.

Do you think that given the very positive reception by the audience that Libera has begun to establish a serious following in Russia? As you mentioned it is their second concert there and Libera has a way of repeating concert venues or countries/cities from time to time.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Splendid review! Sounds like a wonderful night :D

andmar wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:00 pm">5 years ago</span> I really love it, when Tadhg says “This is Moose, the REAL Moose…” . So funny.
Glad you mentioned that, I totally agree :) His enthusiasm is contagious!

Wonderful that Eimear was there again with the boys. Her solo work really adds to the concert experience. I missed her too in Brighton.

Some mention has been made about Rocco's (changing) voice. Whatever the case may be, let's not forget these are kids. We sometimes tend to approach them like professional singers of the highest standard. Yes, their singing is tremendously good and they have exceptional talent, nurtured by training and support from their families, teachers, friends - but they're still ordinary boys. It's quite something to get out there and sing, to be on stage and sing a solo - you're so vulnerable and yes, we see that sometimes on their faces and body language. Completely understandable. Please consider this when discussing their vocal performances. Maybe it's because I work with children but I'd rather focus on their achievements than on the things we hoped they would have done (slightly) better.

One more thing, in light of the above and the mention of Ben B's solo in Ave Maria - for me, in Brighton, this was a crowning achievement (so far anyway :)) of his capabilities as a singer. Hearing him sing Eternal Light in Ely was such a joy and I truly feel I have seen and heard him blossom as a singer and performer during the past year. He can be very proud of himself - and hopefully we will hear much more of the wonderful instrument he has.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Thank you Andmar for your brilliant and detailed review. I can almost see the concert and wish I could hear it. Maybe the new Christmas album will include the Three Ships and Bleak Mid Winter songs.

From the Christmas concerts' reviews from you and others, it seems that Rocco's fantastic treble voice is soon to be gone. He has to be 13 years old so this is expected. Lucky for us, he was recorded and videoed performing some amazing songs as a soloist. Hopefully he will stay in the Libera back row (with Alex G, Camden, Marc, Gabriel, Taichi, and Alex M) and maybe get to perform with his new tenor voice like Alessandro and Alex M did. Either way, Rocco has had an outstanding Libera career and I enjoyed very much his spectacular live performances, Cd solos, and In Paradisum video.
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 pm">5 years ago</span> Thank you andmar for your brilliant and detailed review. I feel the same as others who said that reading this review makes you feel like you are there - and I wish I had been after reading that :lol:

I keep hearing accolades regarding this new "Three Ships" song and hope to hear it sung someday; it seems to have become an instant hit with a lot of fans in Brighton and now Moscow too.

Do you think that given the very positive reception by the audience that Libera has begun to establish a serious following in Russia? As you mentioned it is their second concert there and Libera has a way of repeating concert venues or countries/cities from time to time.
Thank you Surpinto.

For me "I Saw Three Ships" is definitely the hit of the season. I'm pretty sure, I'm not the only one who thinks so. It is a new song with a brilliant, unique arrangement and performed so excellently. Having heard that song, I couldn't get rid of its tune for many days. Libera can be really proud of it and I'm sure they are.

I can't tell too much about a serious following in Russia. Yes, the reception was very positive; yes, there are some Russian fans around, but still it was just one single concert. There was no visible advertisement except of the big display on the concert hall's wall. I think, their establishment in Russia can't be compared with the one in Japan (where the huge commercial show business machinery is involved) or in the USA (where there exists a fan base with many volunteers and donors willing to support them). For now it looks more like just a one-time event, but I may be wrong.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

I was surprised to discover, when checking the statistics for the Libera Historical Timeline, that Russians are consistently in the top five on the list of countries checking in. For Part One, they come in second, between the US and the UK. Slovakia is also in the top ten.