Westminster 17th october 2018

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Westminster 17th october 2018

Post by bachmahlerfan »

So, having read a recent tweet from Matthew Madine, this concert may feature a larger back row of singers than usual. I don't know if it will be as large as in the 2014 recorded concert.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:09 am">5 years ago</span> So, having read a recent tweet from Matthew Madine, this concert may feature a larger back row of singers than usual. I don't know if it will be as large as in the 2014 recorded concert.
Here is the source.

I'm suffering!! :cry: :cry: Can't attend the concert this time and my wish to do so now is huge and painful. Glad for you who can though and hoping that some day they'll repeat that, please. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

=) so now Matt confirmed what i was trying to hint in my post a few days ago=) It will be a special concert and i'm excited to see some of the old members back on stage. In addition to Matt, Im hoping to see Sam, Isaac, Ale (on stage)!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I figured that my hope for a live recording was wishful thinking, but now I'm starting to wonder. However, it seems unlikely that a full recording for a DVD would be taking place if Libera hasn't let us know by now (not to mention that it takes place on a school night and the cathedral would probably have to cancel the evening Mass and Evensong).
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

the cathedral will be closed after evening mass at 5:30, so i guess its a closed door rehersal today?
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

spoted ciaran, so he might be back too :)
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Fantastic concert :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will let people who are more articulate than me do the reviews.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

dani wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 pm">5 years ago</span> Fantastic concert :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I will let people who are more articulate than me do the reviews.
Not claiming to be articulate, but if it wasn’t already 1:00 AM, I might do so, and would title it “The Return of the Magnificent Seven” (Matts x 2, Allessandro, Sam, Gabriel, Issac and Ciaran). Their contribution enriched so many songs especially “How Great Thou Art” and of course the showpiece “Lamentione” along with the regular back row and descantists (is that a word) Leo and Ben B.

So highlights and surprises only.

Caccini Ave Maria: not listed in the programme. This is such a difficult piece and to perform it live takes exceptional skill and courage. Leo lacks neither. An outstanding performance.

How Great Thou Art: New soloist for this favourite was Oliver W-R. His expressive voice is the perfect match for this hymn.

I Am the Day: Relative newcomer, Dominik, was already spotted as a potential new soloist on the US tour. He has more than fulfilled expectations with this lovely solo ably accompanied by Oliver M and Peter.

Wayfaring Stranger: Seeing Victor almost literally follow in his brother’s footsteps was a tear-jerk moment for me. Though their voices are distinct, Victor’s is a perfect match for this emotional song as was Sam’s.

Nearer My God : Just wonderful. Lost Alex G and Alex M but gained Matthias and Victor. So nice to see Matthias emerge from the shadows and shine.

Eternal Light: Not new or a surprise - but Ben B just nailed it.

Best Speech: Cassius Collard on the Travels of Moose.

A great concert. Japan is in for a treat.
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

wow! it was so nice to see the older boys one more time, what a treat it was! but i doubt any of them will be on the tour to japan.
it was funny, whenever they werent on stage there was noise in the background 😂😂😂 wonder what they were up too.

i'm not a big fan of concerts on school nights as the boys do get tired after such a long day. i loved the return of the 7 and their special add to the songs , however without considering this special treat i enjoyed the concert in ely more.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Thanks for the review John. Although we're not going to be able to see the magnificent seven in Japan, I hope I'll get to experience your other highlights soon. Especially interested in hearing Dominik and Leo singing lyrics instead of notes. :)
Libera Snow

Post by Libera Snow »

I appreciate the concert review,John! This concert was so special with older singers. I guess I missed special moment.....I’m happy to know that new soloists appeared. I wanted to hear Dominik’s solo as I’ve heard his awesome singing at the venue this Summer. I believe you will fly to Japan for the concerts. I look forward to your another reviews. Have a safe flight!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, John45. This concert seems like it was an exceptionally special event with all of the older singers contributing their lower voices to the overall sound. Very happy to hear that they are on their A game.
Sjh

Post by Sjh »

Enjoyed Westminster the older boys enriched the sound with out dominating with there more powerful voices, I hope Mr Prizeman can entice them to return more often it is a shame to lose them so soon.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Here comes my review of this Westminster cathedral concert, right before the
boys’ departure for the Japan tour !

It was really good and I feel so lucky I got to attend 4 concerts so far.
These are always special and unique moments. So far, this was my best seat,
as I was on the second row and I saw the whole stage pretty well. Except for when the boys went at the far back of the stage.

The concert itself was a bit less perfect and impressive than Ely's one in may. Although this can easily be explained. Ely's concert was not long after a previous tour and they were at their best. Plus, this Westminster's
concert was a middle-week of school so I reckon the boys were tired and less relaxed than usual. Also maybe the sound in Ely cathedral was better and the musicians weren't that close to the audience.

And our state of mind plays on it, too ! I think I expected a lot with the
new album being released. And there were some surprises.

First, 46 boys on stage ! Some ancient ones, a full range of low voices with Matthew Jansen, Matthew Madine, Sam Wiggin, Ciaran, Alessandro, Isaac and
Gabe Collins (who lost all of his high notes while Alex M, Camden and some others can still perform with the main group). I am eager to know which
of the boys will go on tour, now. The « big boys », when on stage, stood at the back.

There also were 5 mini-boys, which we could not see properly, I spotted one outside the cathedral after the concert and I would not have recognised him
without the outfit. There seems to be a leader in this little group, the
other ones looked at when they were lost. Cute... Why not put them on the front like in previous december ? Maybe they were not ready for that, or
maybe because of the lights that seemed to be a problem for them
precedently.

The show started with the usual recorded voice of one of the boys asking for
us to turn off the phones... Then Robert Prizeman entered. He seemed
surprised to receive applause, he stopped to bow. It was the first time I had a proper view on RP's instructions during the concert. Funny to watch.

Eimear the flautist came on stage right before the boys and stood there for
the introduction to Mysterium. While she played, Leo went to stand at the
far back of the stage on the left (I lack words to explain where, maybe
english native speakers can help). The other boys walked slowly on stage from both sides. It was a really beautiful piece of music, I fully heard
live for the first time. It really is perfect to start a Libera concert.

The music went on, with Joyful Joyful and the boys moved onto their classic
disposition. I was quite impressed with Leo, who many times during the concert had to come back for the backstage, calmly, discretly, never
stressed out...

Then there was a speech I do not remember the content, except they
introducted the next piece from the album Beyond.

The Prayer still belongs to Daniel, who sings perfectly, very confident. I cannot wait to hear him on other solis. He has a very important part in the
choir, matching what he explained in the recent interview. He learns from Leo a lot and will probably soon be the leader of the vocalizers. I noted a
funny smile from Victor, who started to stand (when the boys kneel) too soon
and then kneeled again for a few seconds.

Then came the first Ave Maria, which one wasn't written on the program, and
it was R. Prizeman's one. Merlin was really soft and good, but I think his
voice is changing already. When I listen to the record of Nearer my God to
Thee it almost seems to be a different voice now. I suppose it requires more
effort from him now, so the volume was low and sometimes breathing
difficult. Or maybe he was just anxious ? Anyway it was wonderful and I
really like this new arrangement, and also the red and golden lights,
projecting nice shadows on the boys' robes.

Stay with me was, just like in Ely, Oliver Mycka's moment - I had a hard job
recognising him, with his new haircut ! - with Sam-Francis doing the « ahah
». I liked Ely's performance better, but still, I really like this track,
even if I say it's never as good live as recorded.

I think there was an other speech, introducing an other song from the album.

It was unexpected : the Ave Maria from Caccini, which did not appear on the
program. No Gabe, of course, as his voice changed, but with Leo. Very
lovely. But he was unlucky : as the song started, one of the speakers went
off. There wasn't a lot of volume for most of the song. I could hear it
really well but I do not know how it was for others, seating more far from
the stage ? I enjoyed it very much anyway. It's a song I adore, but it was
also great to hear it sang by Leo. It was really light, soft, lot of shades
in his cristal voice. He lacked breath at the end but this was discretly
faded by the choir. I litteraly was open-mouthed all along.

Then started In Paradisum, with Rocco and Oliver W-Rodriguez on the second
part. I felt it was less good than in Ely, where I even cried. Maybe I
listened to the record too much ? I reckoned Rocco's first notes were
difficult, maybe his voice is changing he is 14 I think. But on other solis
I found him perfect so, maybe not ? Anyway it remains an amazing song, I
particularly enjoy the moment when the choir seems to raise with the slow «Jerusalem ».

How great thou art was the next song with Oliver Watt-R as a soloist. His voice is soft and deep, he might be a great soloist during the next concerts. There were amazing low parts thanks to the big boys. A unique performance !

Then they made a speech to say there would be a break so they may have a drink and be careful not to spill anything on their white robes. It was Daniel, smiling and showing a lot of charisma.

They sang Voca Me, with Leo being soloist. I noticed Daniel managing high parts and Dominik would join him sometimes. Him and Oliver seem able to sing very high notes.

Orinoco Flow was the last song of this first part. It was smooth and almost like a lullaby.

- ENTRACTE -

The second part started with the very unexpected Lamentione, the song we know as Lament. It’s an atypical piece of music I do not dislike but that I sometimes find a bit annoying. Mostly the high parts tend to make me cringe. Well, there was no high part ! Except from Leo and Ben Bywater vocalizing (flawless duet). The boys kneeled facing the middle in three rows and to lines stood on the sides. In the middle stood the magnificent big boys (and some of the oldest ones I reckon like Alex G and M, Camden...). The whole song was performed with their powerful deep voices. Alessandro sang a part alone. It was amazing, it reminded me of ancient byzantine services songs. It was really moving, like a tribute to those ancient soloists...

Then the boys stood up and moved to their positions for I am the day. It was Dominik singing the main part, with Peter and Oliver Mycka as usual. These two boys’ mikes weren’t so loud it was barely audible when they whispered. Nevertheless it was one of the best songs I think and Dominik is very talented.

From a distance was flawless, with wonderful Merlin, really relaxed.

I was still in wonder when Wayfaring stranger started so I did not spotted the boy standing at the back for the solo. The other ones were in a double V formation as usual, with green lightnings. I discovered it was Victor Wiggin when he walked to the front. He does a very nice job with that part he inherited from his brother !

I definitely like the new Sanctus arrangement. The « pleni sunt caeli » part is dynamic !

For Salva me, Oliver went at the back with the hoodie on (I am not sure although, one of the altar’s pillar was blinding that spot, I never got to see the vocalizers !). He was great, very precise. Red and pink lights made the song dramatical.

There was a speech (notice how I never remember who did the speech ?) introducing some boys singing « a famous hymn ».

I did not expect Nearer my God to Thee to be sang with soloists’ voices changing. But Merlin, Ben B, Rocco and Leo are left after all. Mathias replaced Alex M and Victor replaced Alex G. Amazing ! Great to hear Mathias, I hope he gets other solos.

Eternal Light remains Ben Bywater’s masterpiece. I wish he gets more solo parts he deserves it, and I would have expected this song to be on the Beyond album...

And eventually came the Libera song, with Rocco and Tadgh replacing Alex. Fair job he made although his mike could have been louder. He enjoys himself on stage a lot.

The encore was Smile, with the very smiling Victor. Awesome. It’s funny how this song sometimes leave me indifferent and other times moves me to tears. I was somewhat disappointed to know this was the encore... and then magic happened. Victor made me cry, remember how this choir enriches my life, I felt so grateful...

What is left to say ? It ends too fast. I was moved by some smiles from Ben, Victor, Koji, Peter, and also the funniest of all Cassius who delivered a speech with a lot of confidence. I was stunned with Nick’s ability to focus and stay still, when you remember how nervous and restless he was in the very same cathedral previous december. Impressed with Dominik becoming such a mattering chorister in such a short time. The fun he has on stage is so communicative, just like Calam and Ben Wevill. The latest cannot help but smile widely in pride whenever the audience applaudes ! On the left there were the little guys : Koji, Romeo, Jack and Cassius. So small and yet professionnal ! Joe and Mathias are very dreamy when they sing.
And the funniest moment this night : during the entracte, Cassius’s little brother and Tadgh’s little sister fighting over which of them sang the better !

I say, some boys are on the edge of leaving and some others will take the light. Long live Libera !

Also it was great to see you guys. Hope to see you again in Brighton. It is great to get to talk about favorite soloists or songs together. And how do you manage to all be so lovely people ?
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

It was again a great concert of Libera. For those who are interested: the cover of the programme.
Thank you Padmachou for the great review.

My christmas wish for 2019: A concert again in the St. Georges Cathedral (Lambeth) and it would be great if they sing Benedictus Deus :D
Attachments
Libera_cover_WC18.jpg
Libera_cover_WC18.jpg (89.9 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Libera_cover_WC18.jpg
Libera_cover_WC18.jpg (89.9 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Last edited by seraphita on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi