Your least favorite Libera song is?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Your least favorite Libera song is?

Post by bachmahlerfan »

"Sancta" is probably my least favorite song. Fortunately, it's nearly impossible to perform live, so I never have to worry about it showing up in a concert. The piece is actually somewhat interesting in terms of harmony, but I can't stand the piece. It sounds like it belongs in some dance club with pulsating lights. Liam O'Kane's voice and Steven's ridiculously high notes cannot save this one.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Oh - Sancta? Really? I found this to be a revelation to me, when I listened to it for the first time, I find it amazing and interesting in melody and harmony. The same with Beata Lux. Both rather mystical songs. I am hoping that there will be a revival of both of them in today's sound style, which means: reduction of the drum set, which I, in fact, consider to be too strong in the two songs.
On the other hand, Sancta is the song where I like Liam O'Kanes voice the least.

Again, it's interesting how differently we can "receive" the songs.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:05 am">6 years ago</span> Oh - Sancta? Really? I found this to be a revelation to me, when I listened to it for the first time, I find it amazing and interesting in melody and harmony. The same with Beata Lux. Both rather mystical songs. I am hoping that there will be a revival of both of them in today's sound style, which means: reduction of the drum set, which I, in fact, consider to be too strong in the two songs.
On the other hand, Sancta is the song where I like Liam O'Kanes voice the least.

Again, it's interesting how differently we can "receive" the songs.
It's not just the music itself that I dislike, but also the way the lyrics are used with the music. I think the musical style is incongruous with the text. If I'm in the mood for something wildly different, I'd rather listen to one of my Bela Bartok recordings.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Ah, I see. I listened to the music first and the words were secondary - as it is often the case - and the music hit me.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I've never liked "The Lamb". The melody is dissonant at points.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Some interesting choices. Personally I like Libera's version of The Lamb and I actually think it was one of Ben's best solos.

Nobody has mentioned Exultate yet I see.....
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:47 pm">6 years ago</span> Nobody has mentioned Exultate yet I see.....
Well, Exultate is not that bad at all. Actually I like it and apparently I'm not the only one :wink:

There is a song called Recordare. It can be found on the Eternal Best of Libera CD (possibly also on others). I listened to this song a couple of times and till now I do not really like it. I can't find anything in it, which would encourage me to listening to it again.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:47 pm">6 years ago</span> Nobody has mentioned Exultate yet I see.....
I suspect that doubtful privilege was reserved for you.
I think my own choice is known well enough.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

As this thread has been revived I figured I would have a think and the two that still spring to mind are

The Lamb
Santa Will find you
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

The Lamb is an unusual song with an unfamiliar melody and harmony, different from the other Libera songs and quite challenging for a listener's ears. I like it, but I find the sound too dry. If they had added a bit reverberation, this would have soothed it, I guess. I would enjoy it much better and listen to it more often. However, it sounds as if the boys had been singing it in a small, locked room, and this does reduce my enjoyment of the song. I regret that, as I think it's a good song.

I don't like A New Heaven and Lament very much. Lament doesn't reach me, it feels strange to me in a somehow unpleasant way. At the beginning, I liked both songs better, but this has changed. Always speaking of the music, not of the words, I can't find much in A New Heaven either.
TygrHawk

Post by TygrHawk »

symphonica7 wrote: <span title="Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:31 pm">13 years ago</span> Just curious to see which Libera songs are the least liked...All their songs are great, don't get me wrong but I just don't particularly care for "Touch the Sky"
Oddly enough (being American), I think my least favorite is "America the Beautiful". It's still a great arrangement by Mr. Prizeman, and I appreciate them wanting to please the US by doing one of the favorite patriotic songs, but I don't feel it really fits their style. Also, they leave out at least one verse, but I can live with that.
Wayne
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

What an interesting forum to catch up on! I'm a newbie, so this made for interesting reading.

Does anybody else almost feel bad admitting that there are Libera songs that they don't love as much as the rest? I can't explain why, but I feel like I am supposed to like ALL of them!! :lol:

Nonetheless, there are a few that I am tempted to skip for various reasons. They are:

Salve Regina: I just generally find this one musically uninteresting. It is the only track from the Hope album that I do not care for. The boys sound beautiful; there is simply nothing in this one that grips me.

Orinoco Flow: I worry that this might be a fan-favorite, so shame on me for picking this one. This one is simply inconsistent with my personal opinion of what is Libera-esque. Not that all their music has to abide to my standards, of course, but I just have a really hard time appreciating this one because it feels like a reach. That, and it's highly repetitive. ([Re Re Re-Fa / Re Re Re-Fa / Re Re Re So So So So] over and over and over, etc.)

I think those are the only two I routinely pass on. That said, though, I do revisit them often to give them another chance.
Last edited by Lucas on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

I'm a kind of hardcore Libera fan, so there are songs that I cannot stop listening to day by day. However, there are songs that I don't quite like, and some that I just skip when they appear in my shuffle playlist (and some I don't even bother to give another try). As a new 2-month fan, I have not listened to all of their music... yet. This list is made by what I've already listened to so far...

My least favorite would be 'Heaven': it is a dance mix (like really?). I don't like choral music together with too much electronic and that one just smashed into it. I really concentrated on listening to it for the first time to find out if there was a particular part that I like, only to find that I would skip it regularly from then on.
-----
Some other songs that I usually skip:
Jupiter (I vow to thee...): it reminds me of pentatonic music, I don't like pentatonic music very much
Adoramus: too 'electronic' (or too much synthesizer work), and I feel it is somewhat dull
Gaudete: it's like some soundtrack of a movie about tribes & clans in a forest, interesting but not the main reason why I loved Libera in the first place.
Santa Will Find You: I think it's somewhat messy and not very good
-----
Songs that I'm not quite fond of, but still listen to without hitting skip:
Prayer (the song about 14 angels): I just don't find it very interesting.
Three Ravens: too dissonant (however this one has grown on me a lot, and I think in the future it may even become one of my favorites)
Stand With Me, Orinoco Flow, Love & Mercy
Beata Lux: if only I can get rid of those drums

At first I didn't really like 'Do Not Stand', 'Always with you' but I pretty much enjoy them now. As for the other songs people have mentioned earlier in this thread, I really really like them (e.g. 'Secret' & 'Touch The Sky' being two among my 'must-have' list, I enjoy 'Gloria', 'Air' & 'The Lamb' too). How different taste can get!!
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:57 am">6 years ago</span> Beata Lux: if only I can get rid of those drums
Same here, take the drums away and it will be amazing and very special!
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

kinda_k00l wrote:
Three Ravens: too dissonant (however this one has grown on me a lot, and I think in the future it may even become one of my favorites)
GASP.