Your least favorite Libera song is?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Your least favorite Libera song is?

Post by filiarheni »

I admit to have problems with a theme of or an entire classical instrumental piece taken and converted into singing. It is alright for me with I Vow To Thee, My Country, because it was Gustav Holst himself who used his own composition to set a poem to music. And it was comparatively quickly done for me to accept and like The Fountain, since I simply cannot resist Ralph Skan's voice and his way of singing. Also liking Salve Regina went completely smoothly, because the instrumental can already be considered as a song. (I referred to this topic already in my "Hope" review) But Sacris Solemnis hasn't made it and Lacrymosa either.

When I heard the first sounds of Going Home, I thought: No, no, please. I honestly was quite sad. The symphony "From the New World" is from the beginning to the end one of my favourite symphonies. The 2nd theme of its 2nd movement (Largo) is something absolutely magic to me, unique in a way I can't tell here. Going Home uses the 1st theme of the Largo, and despite my basic dislike of a sung version, I'm yet glad that it isn't this 2nd theme that was touched.

After hearing Libera, I noticed that there exist many more interpretations of the singing version, which relieved me a bit, because it wasn't Libera alone anymore, if that makes sense? Thank you for posting some versions. Used for an advert ... well ... :wink: And wow - what a wonderfully deeeep voice of Paul Robeson! :) However, in this very case, I am, if at all, capable to like the Libera-Michael-Horncastle version (and I do so now, yes! :D), but that's really it.

I'm aware that I'm pretty much alone with my general view on classic instrumental pieces being sung. :wink: :)

One remark to I Vow To Thee and Jerusalem: I like both of them for their lovely melodies - I have a special affection for beautiful melodies, therefore also my love for Dvořák's music, he was a great melodist - and harmonies. I've never been a big fan of Ben Philipp (yes, also very alone, I know :wink: ) but in Jerusalem his and the choir's voices just shine. Regarding I Vow To Thee, I like the Leiden live version best and in the "Free" version I like Ben Crawley's solo with that nasal voice when he sings "country". :mrgreen: Jupiter not so much as a mere song, but used as ice skating music, I find it good and very suitable.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:25 pm">6 years ago</span> Regarding I Vow To Thee, I like the Leiden live version best and in the "Free" version I like Ben Crawley's solo with that nasal voice when he sings "country". :mrgreen: Jupiter not so much as a mere song, but used as ice skating music, I find it good and very suitable.
My favourite version is the one Matthew Jansen sang in Arundel in 2012. I kept picturing flags waving in the wind, images of Arundel castle, which I visited on that windy, cloudy afternoon. It's so sad that his version was never recorded, I can only use my vague memories to compare with the versions that were recorded. But it has always stuck in my mind as such an impressive, moving version. I was thrilled to finally be able to compliment him on his solo, four years later in Germany :)

The same feeling I have with Do Not Stand sung by Ralph, also in Arundel in 2012. In retrospect, that was a concert with unforgettable solos. His version was incredibly moving and it bugs me that I try and try to hear his performance through the versions of Tom in Leiden and Ben Crawley on 'Free'.

Slightly off-topic, sorry, but still talking about listening experiences and the different sides to it ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

maart endas wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm">6 years ago</span> The same feeling I have with Do Not Stand sung by Ralph, also in Arundel in 2012. In retrospect, that was a concert with unforgettable solos. His version was incredibly moving and it bugs me that I try and try to hear his performance through the versions of Tom in Leiden and Ben Crawley on 'Free'.
Oh, Do Not Stand and Ralph? I've looked it up: His duet partner was Stefan. That performance must have been a pure dream! I wish I had been there to hear it! Moving, yes, moving to tears, certainly.
I have got only the two album versions with Tom/Ed and Ben/Joseph Platt to compare, but, although I'm very fond of Tom's way of singing, I prefer Ben's delicate voice for this tender song. For me, the song and Ben form a perfect unity, and I'm super-pleased that we have the recording with him.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 pm">6 years ago</span>
maart endas wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm">6 years ago</span> The same feeling I have with Do Not Stand sung by Ralph, also in Arundel in 2012. In retrospect, that was a concert with unforgettable solos. His version was incredibly moving and it bugs me that I try and try to hear his performance through the versions of Tom in Leiden and Ben Crawley on 'Free'.
Oh, Do Not Stand and Ralph? I've looked it up: His duet partner was Stefan. That performance must have been a pure dream! I wish I had been there to hear it! Moving, yes, moving to tears, certainly.
Ralph Skan is a superb soloist (I'm a big fan :wink: ), with a really really special voice and a can't-be-smoother way of changing from real voice to falsetto. Until now I have no complaints whatsoever about him & his singing in Libera songs. He & Stefan could definitely do justice to 'Do Not Stand', I agree.

maartendas wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm">6 years ago</span> My favourite version is the one Matthew Jansen sang in Arundel in 2012. I kept picturing flags waving in the wind, images of Arundel castle, which I visited on that windy, cloudy afternoon. It's so sad that his version was never recorded, I can only use my vague memories to compare with the versions that were recorded. But it has always stuck in my mind as such an impressive, moving version. I was thrilled to finally be able to compliment him on his solo, four years later in Germany :)
I also feel that it's a pity that his voice does not appear much in official recordings. At first, I was actually quite curious about what his voice sounded like (he seems to be a very active member in Libera), then I found the 2013's Gaudete. And yes, he had a nice voice. :D

(We seem to go a little bit off-topic, but still, I think I want to say it.) I'm okay with classical music changed into songs, and although 'Sacris Solemnis' did take some time to grow on me, it's now one of my favorites. 8)
Well, I'm quite glad that as far as I get deeper into listening to Libera songs, 'Heaven' still remains my least favorite - nothing so far has gone beyond it. :roll:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm">6 years ago</span> Here's another version (and use) of the melody.
Video Not Available
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm">6 years ago</span> Here's another version (and use) of the melody.
Hovis! I remember that add because they ran it throughout the 70's - Their Millenium and Farmer's son adds are great too.

Try this version

Sorry to take the thread off topic but these are the two other Hovis adverts I like:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm">6 years ago</span>
Hovis! I remember that add because they ran it throughout the 70's - Their Millenium and Farmer's son adds are great too.

Try this version
Eh, can't say that would be my favorite version. The tempo is too rushed and it sounds like it was played by a marching band - too much brass and not enough strings and woodwinds. This summer I had the great good luck to hear it performed by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra at one of their Concerts in The Park events.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 pm">6 years ago</span> Sorry to take the thread off topic but these are the two other Hovis adverts I like:
I can ease you: At the end of your second advert, it says "As good today as it's always been". So it's not so much off Libera topic anymore. :D :lol:

When I wrote the above about taking instrumental classical music for a song, I forgot to add that I see a pro in it, though: to make people not familiar with or even disliking classical music curious to listen to the original, too, and maybe open a door for them also to that genre.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 am">6 years ago</span> Eh, can't say that would be my favorite version. The tempo is too rushed and it sounds like it was played by a marching band - too much brass and not enough strings and woodwinds. This summer I had the great good luck to hear it performed by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra at one of their Concerts in The Park events.
It was a brass band which are very popular in the North of England which the advert is trying to invoke. My local brass band, Black Dyke (no joking), is one of the best

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 pm">6 years ago</span>
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 am">6 years ago</span> Eh, can't say that would be my favorite version. The tempo is too rushed and it sounds like it was played by a marching band - too much brass and not enough strings and woodwinds. This summer I had the great good luck to hear it performed by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra at one of their Concerts in The Park events.
It was a brass band which are very popular in the North of England which the advert is trying to invoke. My local brass band, Black Dyke (no joking), is one of the best
But a brass band is a poor instrument to play a piece such as Dvorak's New World Symphony.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:35 am">6 years ago</span>
But a brass band is a poor instrument to play a piece such as Dvorak's New World Symphony.
:lol: If you say so!

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:10 pm">6 years ago</span>
TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:35 am">6 years ago</span>
:lol: If you say so!
Hmmmm........ How about "Billy Elliot" performed by a mariachi band?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 am">6 years ago</span> Hmmmm........ How about "Billy Elliot" performed by a mariachi band?
Never thought of it but it has recently been playing in Mexico, maybe you can track down a clip for us to listen to. It might be a revelation. There are a few operas I can think of that it would improve....

back on Dvorak though and I don't think this is bad at all:

Now, you can make an argument that a full orchestra is more to your liking but i don't think you can say this is bad or inappropriate and this is not even one of the great brass bands.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

(What did I kick off here?! :shock: :lol: :wink: )
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yes, yes I can say it's inappropriate. Try listening to the piece played by the orchestra it was originally written for, the New York Philharmonic:

The brass is marvelous for the fanfare and for the bold statements made at various points, but brass can't effectively render the tender emotion of the passage we now call "Going Home".