Your least favorite Libera song is?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Your least favorite Libera song is?

Post by maartendas »

If people ever wonder how passionate Libera fans can get, this is the topic to show them :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 pm">6 years ago</span> If people ever wonder how passionate Libera fans can get, this is the topic to show them :D
Hilarious! I'm afraid some of us have become professionals in digression and minutiae. Oh well. I imagine some in Libera are quite amused by the detailed 'analysis paralysis'.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:57 am">6 years ago</span> I am actually amused by the number of people who dislike 'Touch The Sky'... :shock:
Don't know why but I used to think it's a favorite or at least a so-so one for the majority. Sue me. :|
Exactly my opinion. I was very surprised when I for the first time noticed that someone didn't like Touch the Sky. It's truely a very interesting composition. Through the dissonances, you can hear the "softly swaying breeze". And the dissonances can be considered as being released by that crass change into the consonant "dub-dub" at the end. Really good!

I know, "good" and "a pleasure to listen to" are two different pair of shoes. But for me, the song as a whole has something calming, which I enjoy. But it draws my attention strongly so that I can't listen to it everywhere, e. g. when there is hard traffic.
Last edited by filiarheni on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:02 am">6 years ago</span> It's truely a very interesting composition. Through the dissonances, you can hear the "softly swaying breeze". And the dissonances can be considered as being released by that crass change into the consonant "dub-dub" at the end. Really good!
I call the "dub-dub" part you mentioned above the 'Chirp Chirp' part :lol: . I can't help but feel Ben C wanted to mimic the sound of the birds singing joyfully on some trees, and so that part came into being. The dissonances in the song are somehow 'cooled down' by mini James' voice as TullyBascombe said. And it is also true about a feeling of the soft breeze - for me, it's somewhat magical.

And I also would like to add to the not-to-my-liking list 'We Are The Lost' - it just doesn't sound interesting to me. :|
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 am">6 years ago</span> And I also would like to add to the not-to-my-liking list 'We Are The Lost' - it just doesn't sound interesting to me. :|
Oh, I have to disagree! This is such a beautiful song. And the lyrics gives me goosebumps. Ok, we are nearer to the topic over here. But I think the music reflects the thoughtful lyrics really well, so gentle and so wistful, sighing music.

I wish so much that they will sing it live again in next year's concerts 2018, as it fits the centenary commemorating1918.
:)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 am">6 years ago</span>
kinda_k00l wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 am">6 years ago</span> And I also would like to add to the not-to-my-liking list 'We Are The Lost' - it just doesn't sound interesting to me. :|
Oh, I have to disagree! This is such a beautiful song. And the lyrics gives me goosebumps. Ok, we are nearer to the topic over here. But I think the music reflects the thoughtful lyrics really well, so gentle and so wistful, sighing music.

I wish so much that they will sing it live again in next year's concerts 2018, as it fits the centenary commemorating1918.
:)
I'm another fan of this song and also the video for it which I find both moving and visually interesting.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
chris17

Post by chris17 »

This is a hard topic for me to contribute to, because there aren't a whole lot of Libera songs I don't like. :) However, there are some I don't really care for:

- Luminosa and Attendite from Luminosa
- Corpus Christi Carol from the Christmas Album - it's kind of slow and it's not really unique compared to other versions of the song
- Prayer (the one from Hansel & Gretel)
- Santa Will Find You, because it's just kind of a weird song

Now, I've complained a lot about Angel because of the lyrics, but I don't skip it too often on Hope. I think the music is fine - I just don't care for the lyrics. Also, while it's still a song I like, I do often skip I Vow To Thee My Country. The song itself is one of my favorite songs, actually, but I don't care for Libera's version as much as most other artists' versions of the song. Libera's version is contemplative and almost slightly depressing, whereas I prefer a really grand, uplifting version, more similar to the original orchestral version of the theme (theme from Jupiter, by Holst).

As far as the songs that other people dislike, I like most of them fairly well. :) I really like A New Heaven (it's one of my favorites songs on Free, actually) and Salve Regina. And I like most of the others at least moderately - Touch the Sky, Love and Mercy, The Lamb, etc. I wasn't sure about Twilight, so I went and listened to it decide if I liked it or not. It's not a song I listen to often, but I ended up listening to the entire song and enjoying it, so I guess I like that one too. :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 pm">6 years ago</span> This is a hard topic for me to contribute to, because there aren't a whole lot of Libera songs I don't like. :) However, there are some I don't really care for:

- Corpus Christi Carol from the Christmas Album - it's kind of slow and it's not really unique compared to other versions of the song

Now, I've complained a lot about Angel because of the lyrics, but I don't skip it too often on Hope. I think the music is fine - I just don't care for the lyrics. Also, while it's still a song I like, I do often skip I Vow To Thee My Country. The song itself is one of my favorite songs, actually, but I don't care for Libera's version as much as most other artists' versions of the song. Libera's version is contemplative and almost slightly depressing, whereas I prefer a really grand, uplifting version, more similar to the original orchestral version of the theme (theme from Jupiter, by Holst).

As far as the songs that other people dislike, I like most of them fairly well. :) I really like A New Heaven (it's one of my favorites songs on Free, actually) and Salve Regina. And I like most of the others at least moderately - Touch the Sky, Love and Mercy, The Lamb, etc. I wasn't sure about Twilight, so I went and listened to it decide if I liked it or not. It's not a song I listen to often, but I ended up listening to the entire song and enjoying it, so I guess I like that one too. :lol:
I like Libera's The Lamb but then I generally like all their quirky stuff like Three Ravens, TTS, and CC Carol. I have to say there are not many who side with me on liking The Lamb but I will go further and say I also think is Ben's best solo (yes, even better than Time).

I do agree with you about songs like Vow and Jerusalem, those are the types of sungs that I feel need the full range of choir voices and a bit of welly :D

Mercy & Love
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am">6 years ago</span>
chris17 wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 pm">6 years ago</span> This is a hard topic for me to contribute to, because there aren't a whole lot of Libera songs I don't like. :) However, there are some I don't really care for:

I like Libera's The Lamb but then I generally like all their quirky stuff like Three Ravens, TTS, and CC Carol. I have to say there are not many who side with me on liking The Lamb but I will go further and say I also think is Ben's best solo (yes, even better than Time).

I do agree with you about songs like Vow and Jerusalem, those are the types of sungs that I feel need the full range of choir voices ana bit of welly :D

I would say Going Home was his best solo
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

dani wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:27 pm">6 years ago</span>
I would say Going Home was his best solo
You may say that but I wouldnt agree😁 I think he is eclipsed by Tom & Josh on that one. The Lamb & Ben's tone are just perfect for each other.

Mercy & Love
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 pm">6 years ago</span> I think he is eclipsed by Tom & Josh on that one.
This wasn't quite the case for me. When I first listened to the 2007 live version (only listened, no watching), I felt that Josh's voice was nice, but Ben's voice gave me goosebumps just after the few first beginning notes of his line. I just couldn't get enough of it - every time I go to that song I always expect Ben's part the most. Personally, I think that Tom's voice was not as impressive in this particular song. :|
So yes, I will say mini Ben's 'Going Home' is better than 'Time'. 'The Lamb', on the other hand, is in a different category. I cannot tell whether it's better than 'Going Home' or not (though I pretty much enjoy it). :P

P/S: It's always fun to call him 'mini-Ben' and then realize he's older than me myself. :lol:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Going Home (live) was the very song I wasn't able to become friends with for more than a year, because the Dvořák original is particularly precious to me. So, I always skipped it, I didn't want the singing. And then one day, I heard by chance the version with Michael Horncastle - and it made me change my mind!
(Hm, this reminds me of some homework I've still to do on Libera-Welt.de ...)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 am">6 years ago</span> I have to say there are not many who side with me on liking The Lamb
I do! Though I don't always feel like listening to it, I admire what they did with it. It's daring, very well crafted, and just a high standard of musicality, even for Libera. It's one of their best performances, even though it's not on my personal favourites list.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I don't think of the musical passage in Dvorak's 9th symphony which became the melody of the song as being "Going Home". It was simply a repeating phrase in the 2nd movement. You should hear Paul Robeson's version.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Here's another version (and use) of the melody.