Your least favorite Libera song is?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Your least favorite Libera song is?

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:17 am">6 years ago</span>
The brass is marvelous for the fanfare and for the bold statements made at various points, but brass can't effectively render the tender emotion of the passage we now call "Going Home".
Well, I know what people feel like talking to me about opera now! I guess nothing I say will make you in to a lover of Black Dyke Tully.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:11 pm">6 years ago</span> Well, I know what people feel like talking to me about opera now! I guess nothing I say will make you in to a lover of Black Dyke Tully.
:lol: So we all help each other to open doors. :wink: :D

@Tully, thank you for posting the video! Here is another one, which is my favourite version. The Largo starts at 12:27.
It is much slower than your example, but I like it exactly for that, because, being so slow, you can thoroughly feel and savour the comtemplative, intimate atmosphere - particularly during the mentioned 2nd theme (not "Going Home" anymore) at 19:29 and 21:39, which I love so much I can't tell. :)

"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:11 pm">6 years ago</span> I guess nothing I say will make you in to a lover of Black Dyke Tully.
In my practice I have never discriminated against race or gender. I'd need to hear some first.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie, if it's any consolation, I am very fond of Brass Bands. Down South we had nothing as fancy as Black Dyke, but as a young boy I would always look forward to seeing and hearing the Salvation Army Band which would parade down our street playing carols every Christmas. As for the Dvorak, nothing beats the haunting sound of the oboe but a brass band comes a very close second.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:11 am">6 years ago</span> As for the Dvorak, nothing beats the haunting sound of the oboe
... or - without wanting to be a pedant - the English horn which plays the 1st theme that became "Going Home". The 2nd theme, the one I adore so much, is played by the oboe then, and later on, the English horn returns with the 1st. Both belong to the same family, but English horn is deeper and so beautiful - yes, haunting indeed!

Going Home would be worth its own thread, I meanwhile find.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Thanks for the correction. Interestingly enough, the Cor Anglais is neither English nor a horn and in England is more commonly referred to by its French name. Here's an interesting clip.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, John, this is an informative and lovely made video (with a very special piece of music at 1:12 :wink:)! I know that reed problem from my clarinet, "sometimes only two out of ten will work", :roll:, yes, it can get expensive ... And you always have to keep it moist; that's why you often can see the players run around with the reed in their mouths before a concert.

john45 wrote: <span title="Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:35 pm">6 years ago</span> Interestingly enough, the Cor Anglais is neither English nor a horn and in England is more commonly referred to by its French name.
Your hint that in England "Cor Anglais" is more common and the fact that it refers to "English" in English, French, German made me curious about the name's history. Yes, "horn" is confusing as well.
It originates from the precursor instrument oboe da caccia which looked like a horn shown on medieval images and there was played by angels. So the "English" part of the name has nothing to do with England, but it's about angels. The German "engellisch" was one and the same expression for both "angelic" and "English", and so the name developed. Then the instrument disappeared, the name remained.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cor_anglais

I like this explanation a lot, because with the "angel" background, we nicely can relate to Libera again. :D
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Just to show that I can indeed appreciate the brass:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Oh yes, an evergreen, I've always liked this song! :D
Egorbea2018

Your least favorite Libera song is?

Post by Egorbea2018 »

I can easily tell you what songs I can't stand:

Gloria - I always skip it. I have tried to listen to it but can't

Three Ravens - it is awful!!! I cannot believe they wasted a track on this. Gregor deserves to have his beautiful voice recorded (hopefully they have some recording of him somewhere). I have forced myself to listen to it a few times and it just makes me cringe.

The Lamb - I listened to it online maybe twice, just because I love Ben Phillip's voice in any song. I don't have it in Cd so I don't have to skip it.

Heaven -it is just too weird.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

@Egorbea: This thread just goes to show how different musical tastes and opinions can be :D
I for one think Three Ravens is ideal for Gregor, as I think he has a real talent for bringing across the meaning of a song's lyrics. In Three Ravens he is telling a suspenseful, moving story and captivates me as a listener. The same goes for his solo in What a Wonderful World: to my ears he really conveys the message of the words, as well as having a pleasant singing voice. I can picture him going into drama, film, teaching or writing, with this storytelling talent of his. But I guess it's also a matter of how one looks at it :wink:
In any case, I appreciate the honesty in this thread.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span> I can easily tell you what songs I can't stand:

I can take it or leave it myself, it's harmless but not one of my favourites
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span>Three Ravens - it is awful!!! I cannot believe they wasted a track on this. Gregor deserves to have his beautiful voice recorded (hopefully they have some recording of him somewhere). I have forced myself to listen to it a few times and it just makes me cringe.
You are so wrong :lol: It's wonderful and Gregor's voice shines
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span>The Lamb - I listened to it online maybe twice, just because I love Ben Phillip's voice in any song. I don't have it in Cd so I don't have to skip it.
This is not a popular song but I happen to be in the minority that love it :D
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span>Heaven -it is just too weird.
I think this song pushes the Libera concept (the mix of modern and ancient) to the maximum with it's heavy synth effects and mixing.I can see why it leaves you cold and I get your description but I think Robert was intentionally exploring the limits with this track. That he pulled back from doing more like this probably tells us that the concept wasn't one he wished to pursue, but I think the track has its place in the Libera catalogue.

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things wouldn't it? I mean, some people really like Exsultate :shock:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things wouldn't it? I mean, some people really like Exsultate :shock:
[/quote]

I love Exsultate, especially on the Christmas DVD with Tom Delgado-Little on solo. It even has fun movements and pretty lights. I love the Ben Phillip version in the Peace cd as well.

Wow. How weird. We are all fans of Libera but have extreme takes on what is a good or bad song.

We need to do a thread on favorite solo singers. We will have a lot of solo singers to choose from (current and old). I bet will have very different choices too.

Sounds fun?
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

[
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span>Three Ravens - it is awful!!! I cannot believe they wasted a track on this. Gregor deserves to have his beautiful voice recorded (hopefully they have some recording of him somewhere). I have forced myself to listen to it a few times and it just makes me cringe.
You are so wrong :lol: It's wonderful and Gregor's voice shines

Of course Gregor sounds wonderful. I think Gregor has a great voice. I like him on the Wonderful World video. I have not found any other videos of him soloing, though. Do you know of any? It is the song I don't like, not him.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm">5 years ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span> I can easily tell you what songs I can't stand:

I can take it or leave it myself, it's harmless but not one of my favourites
This would also be what 'Gloria' makes me feel - not-so-bad melody, but kind of repetitive. :?

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm">5 years ago</span> This is not a popular song but I happen to be in the minority that love it :D
You're not the only one. :D

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm">5 years ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:47 am">5 years ago</span>Heaven -it is just too weird.
I think this song pushes the Libera concept (the mix of modern and ancient) to the maximum with it's heavy synth effects and mixing.I can see why it leaves you cold and I get your description but I think Robert was intentionally exploring the limits with this track. That he pulled back from doing more like this probably tells us that the concept wasn't one he wished to pursue, but I think the track has its place in the Libera catalogue.
I also skipped 'Heaven' (the original one sounds nice btw) and yes, the heavy synth effects are to blame. But I do think that it is kind of an experiment.

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:32 pm">5 years ago</span> I love Exsultate, especially on the Christmas DVD with Tom Delgado-Little on solo. It even has fun movements and pretty lights. I love the Ben Phillip version in the Peace cd as well.
I'm with you on this. While I won't say that I "love" Exsultate (in a way that I don't like or dislike it that much), I think it's a nice one. :wink: