Libera & Facebook

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

tcliffy
Gold Member

Libera & Facebook

Post by tcliffy »

After due consideration on the part of the Moderators (and please note that no one is actually in trouble) we, as a group, have begun to seriously worry about allowing people attempt to find the Libera boys, both past and present, on facebook. Obviously, we can't control what you do outside the forum as it is not our concern, but I must beseech each of you to let them be.

I, thus far, have no reason not to trust any of you, but 'cyber-stalkers' do exist and every precaution must be made to protect the boys' and their privacy. Please do not go and look them up on either myspace or facebook and under no circumstance should you try and engage in conversation with them.

If you'd like to talk to them, as a whole, I'm sure we can try and arrange some way of letting you write them and possibly create a fan-mail process thing. If you have any question/comments, post them here.
Last edited by paul on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change from Announce to Normal
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Re: Libera & Facebook

Post by jennaluvspbr »

tcliffy wrote:After due consideration on the part of the Moderators (and please note that no one is actually in trouble) we, as a group, have begun to seriously worry about allowing people attempt to find the Libera boys, both past and present, on facebook. Obviously, we can't control what you do outside the forum as it is not our concern, but I must beseech each of you to let them be.

I, thus far, have no reason not to trust any of you, but 'cyber-stalkers' do exist and every precaution must be made to protect the boys' and their privacy. Please do not go and look them up on either myspace or facebook and under no circumstance should you try and engage in conversation with them.

If you'd like to talk to them, as a whole, I'm sure we can try and arrange some way of letting you write them and possibly create a fan-mail process thing. If you have any question/comments, post them here.
my friend the boys on face book dot mined becues they are sweet and and your right a bout fans trying to ad dd the boys to face book but some how they dot seem to mined fans being friends with i guess becues there is liam and oliver and they are new but we dot ask much a bout there mucis we ask what they like to do fun as will but we just like to thank of them as libera and a normal person and we do give them there privacy and we no all that but how hard can it be how can we talk with them with libera if some of them are on face book or any websiet ??? take car from jenna
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

tcliffy wrote:After due consideration on the part of the Moderators (and please note that no one is actually in trouble) we, as a group, have begun to seriously worry about allowing people attempt to find the Libera boys, both past and present, on facebook. Obviously, we can't control what you do outside the forum as it is not our concern, but I must beseech each of you to let them be.

This is a great idea and I think it should solve the problem. But some people need to understand that not all cyber stalkers are not necessarlly adults with issues. All it takes to be a cyber stalker is to keep sending messages, one after another, never stopping for anything. Not even when they are told to stop by the person they are stalking.

I am not saying that you shouldn't have the boys as friends on the different social sites but let them add you. If anyone here has seen my MySpace page, you will notice a fair amount of different memebers of Savatage/Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Most of them have actually contacted me to be their friends. I did ask some of them though. Now, while they are on my friends list, I do not bother them with never ending emails. I do, on occasion, ask them a question but I do not just keep sending email after email.
While our boys are music stars, they are still boys. They need that chance.

I do think the idea of a fan mail site here is a good idea and should be put into a suggestion to their producers and webmasters. Then they can be part of the design of it and how best to run it. That way, no one gets hurt and the boys aren't "stalked" by anyone. This way, people might get some good answers from the boys, especially since it will be in a public forum. They do read what is sent to them on the official MySpace page and they do sometime respond.

Laters,
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

Support 100%

I know there's a great deal of enthusiastic support for the group out there, but we need to remember the need for simple boundaries. Part of being a responsible member of this and any community is an understanding of priorities, and our highest priority around here is the protection of the boys. Part of realising this commitment is the need to give the boys their privacy and space.

For those of you following the official Libera YT, MySpace, and/or FB pages, this is something the group's leadership over there have articulated via all their accounts. (the MySpace blog posting: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =459728577 )

As Ty says, it is not anyone's intention to restrict what individual forum members do outside the confines of the forum--but remember your Jurassic Park: just because you could doesn't always mean you should.

And I want to reiterate Ty's assurance that no one is being singled out. No one's trying to do that at all...
tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Well, Libera has responded to me and I will tell you exactly what they said...

"Libera discourages individual boys from entering into any kind of correspondence with fans - via Facebook or other social networking sites, or as penpals.

It would not be appropriate to write letters to the group as a whole. We are very happy to see the messages that supporters leave in our guest books but the correspondence has to stop there, and we hope that fans would respect the privacy of all our members - both past and present."

:D Sorry folks, no letter writing unless you do it on their website.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Oh, I thought it was a great idea too. Too bad we couldn't write them letters.

But I guess we could still send them cards during festive seasons like Christmas to wish them and show our appreciation too. Oh, I meant send to the church but addresses to the choir. So yeah, they are just boys and their main priority is still school.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Because of Norburys stand with the boys you can see why fans wanna add them to facebook, i dont see how sending letters can harm the boys as long as the letters are filted so nothing sinster can get though. I am lucky that a few of the older boys go to my friends school and some of the younger memebers also go there now as well so i have access to them on facebook but as i am 22 i have no reason to want to talk to them as i have nothing in common with kids that are 13. And when older men go out of there way to seek contact with them in todays climate it is going to raise questions no matter how innocent your intentions may be.
TEB
Gold Member

Post by TEB »

tcliffy wrote:Well, Libera has responded to me and I will tell you exactly what they said...

"Libera discourages individual boys from entering into any kind of correspondence with fans - via Facebook or other social networking sites, or as penpals.

It would not be appropriate to write letters to the group as a whole. We are very happy to see the messages that supporters leave in our guest books but the correspondence has to stop there, and we hope that fans would respect the privacy of all our members - both past and present."

:D Sorry folks, no letter writing unless you do it on their website.

Disappointing but expected. My source did indicate that this could be the end result of the cyber stalking of the one boy.
Please, please, please, respect the privacy of the boys and do not try to contact them anymore. Post appropiate messages in their guestbooks only. As I have said before, they do read those messages.
The next thing that could happen, if the messages continue, is for them to ask for this board to be shut down. I really don't think anyone wants that now, do they???
Tom B.
Proud to be an American
Clan Farquharson, Scotland

"I AM THE DAWN OF ALL TIME."
barlies04
Silver Member

Post by barlies04 »

Hi T Cliffy
I couldn't agrre more the boys privacy is paramount fair enough if your fortunate to attend one of the concerts, there currently oppotunites to meet and photograph and get the boys to sign autographs but in a
controlled and safe way, we as Fans should not attempt by other means whatever so ever attempt to enter into a personnel contact with the boys nor should any Unofficial Fansites On social networking site like facebook be set up in realation to any of the boys as individuals which includes photographs as it has also been said our site if it oversteps the line may well loose Liberas respect and as you say they could ask for the site to be closed as well the boys we must remember are all juveniles and certainly respect them those whom are charged with their care whilst with Libera equally not forgetting the boys Parents/Guardians
jim
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Zero Tolerance for me as far as I'm concerned, it's the only safe and sure way in today's ever changing social lifestyles. I'm only one generation up on some of the Libera boys, but there has been a rapid change in how people keep in contact with each other even in the last 10 years.

In my day :roll: (I know - keep with me) - a friend was somebody you knew and chatted too in the playground and then dissed around with afterschool for a few hours.

Now a friend can be a relatively unknown that you have invited onto your 'reveal all' social site, just to increase your stats and improve your social standing in the cyber playground. You don't know them, but as long as it tops up your friends counter, that's all that matters.

Now I’m sure the Libera boys are much more intelligent and savvy to accept invitations from anyone they don't know, but that still means they have to trawl their way through a multitude of unnecessary requests for friendship (akin to spam), just to find that one person they do actually know. I'm sure the old, sinister man sitting their in an anorak, is an overplayed misconception, and most of them will probably be hormonal teenage girls, but still.... better safe than sorry.
Candid
Silver Member

Post by Candid »

I have contacted chadney to tell him about my singing he even was nice enough to add me as a friend, jake shortall and liam are other ones. I barely talk to them. I think the people who cyber stalk should take a look at the boys from another perspective. Then put themselves in the boy's shoes as to what they might think of them, because of what they do, Im sure I wouldn't want any of them to think of me in those ways.
jacques

Post by jacques »

tcliffy wrote:
It seems to me as a great idea to make a chat-room for the boys or something so the members can talk to them.

If you desided that then i hope that whe can make things up for security of the boys, and i hope with the Libera forum i made in the Netherlands since 2007 that whe can help eachother with that. :D

Greets from http://libera-libera.nl/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...Jacques
The best boychoir there is

tcliffy
Gold Member

Post by tcliffy »

Candid wrote:I have contacted chadney to tell him about my singing he even was nice enough to add me as a friend, jake shortall and liam are other ones. I barely talk to them. I think the people who cyber stalk should take a look at the boys from another perspective. Then put themselves in the boy's shoes as to what they might think of them, because of what they do, Im sure I wouldn't want any of them to think of me in those ways.
...and yet many might just think of you like that. The fact that you took the time to look them up specifically on facebook and to contact them might seem to them that you are trying to get into their good books and lure them into a friendship for whatever reason. Unless they contact you, you should probably not contact them.

I know from another forum that some people tried to contact another young singer and legal action was taken to get them to lay off sending them messages and such. I'd hate to see that happen to any one of you, so I'm cautioning you all as friends. STOP NOW before it's too late.
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I think what Candid is slighty different as she contacted all former members and they are all over the age of 16. So in the u.k legally adults.
Candid
Silver Member

Post by Candid »

Yes, I realize that some libera fans may be a threat or are an inconvenience. I normally are only friends with people I talk to on a regular basis, then I decided to add libera fans aswell, but I didn't like some of the comments on a fan page so I deleted them all. I did take time out ( like only seconds) to type in their names so I can let them know about my singing and hope to get some opinion and advice, is that such a crime? Isn't that common enough between any singer and fan. Libera is the reason I started singing so yes, I dedicated my first song to them. I was very excited and I would have loved for libera to use it. Isn't it normal for a singer/songwriter to want to be acknowledged. I have to start somewhere, even though I may have been a bit naive and started a bit higher on the entertainment ladder. I know from working with kids within the libera age range what they are like and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be friends with them. I'm 20 years old and thats gross. Its like being friends with your teacher when you're in elementary school. I did get disgusted with libera because they didn't respond to my song, yet on previous emails I've got responses 95% if the time. I am still a fan but I'm losing interest because of this drama of privacy and accusing people of being stalkers or dangerous threats. Also because of libera's attitude towards their fans, or is it not libera but this forums attitude toward fans.