Your Song on Repeat (Past & Present)

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucas

Your Song on Repeat (Past & Present)

Post by Lucas »

Though I frequently listen to a wide swath of Libera music, I regularly find that I have "that one song" that I can listen to on repeat over and over without quickly tiring of it. Have you had those songs? Do you have such a song currently? I've had a couple, so I'm curious what songs may have enchanted others, too! Here are mine:

Libera - Summer 2015 - This was my first massive Libera "hook." What can I say? Those opening harmonies are just next level.

Deep Peace - Spring 2016 - This one became special because it aided in a personal healing process after life took an unexpected and difficult turn in 2015. This song was my retreat. I pieced together this one by ear on the piano and the lyrics really got to me. Strangely - or perhaps, appropriately - this song really helped be find some light when I needed it. The things music can do ... just incredible. Joy and ease have been since restored. :D

Sing The Story - Winter 2016 - This one probably doesn't even crack my top 5 favorites, but that winter I was just really in the mood for this song! I always smiled at the phrase, "Shining like silver the stars in the sky..." with the rhythm there defying the established cadence. I once had over 300 consecutive listens! :roll:

Angel - Spring 2017 - I loved this one right upon its release. I don't even have much to say other than this one is cover-to-cover excellence to me. The bit in the middle, "Cantate caeli chorus angelorum ... Venite adoramus in aeternum" absolutely melts me on its descent.

My current looped song is San Damiano from Hope. It just makes me so darn happy! The brightness of it, the rhythm, ALL of it! :D

Well, come on now! Share yours, too!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Your Song on Repeat (Past & Present)

Post by Surpinto »

I can relate! But for me only a tiny handful of songs would qualify as being re-listened to on a loop rather than just with great frequency. For example, I love "Venite Adoremus" but I would never listen to it on a loop.

I only re-listen to things endlessly when a song is new and I just absolutely love it; and if I do not listen to it again and again I just go crazy. The dates correspond with when I was obsessed with the song, which usually corresponds to the album release.

Stay with me 2004

Semele 2004 I liked it back then quite a bit but I can take it or leave it now.

Prayer (from Visions) 2005

Ave Virgo 2010

Wexford Carol 2013

Angels We Have Heard On High 2013

Joyful Joyful 2015

Salve Regina 2017
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Interesting topic! I would like to add mine too. As Surpinto has said, there are a bunch of other songs I consider 'superb' but I don't listen to it for months straight (well, I do listen to them when they appear in the shuffle playlist, but not intentionally).

Angel - one of the first Libera songs I've heard, and the first one brought me to tears (real tears, not a metaphor of any kind - I blame Isaac). And reading Lucas' post about the high parts in the bridge 'venite Adoramus' & also 'laudate DEo' is like I'm talking to myself.
Benedictus Deus - heavenly, like the lights shining from heaven above. I just can't get enough of this one.
Stabat Mater & Ave Maria (Robert Prizeman) - these two touch my soul in a magical way.
Hymn to Mary & Far Away (by Michael) - calming and soothing, I come to these when I face hardships.
Sanctus - same reason as Benedictus Deus, just a little bit less.
Voca Me - one of my all time favorite!
Secret - simply magical & wonderful.
Be Still My Soul - I can't come up with a reason for this one.

And wow that's ten songs already!? :shock:
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I agree with Surpinto and kinda_k00l: I can listen to one song repeatedly, but almost never in an excessive way. In fact, I found that Libera for myself has an extraordinarily wide range of songs which I do not only like, but love! I can't listen to a single song on a loop quite exclusively for long, because I miss the other songs too much. It rarely happens that I listen to one song consecutively for more than two or three times, The only exception is Secret.

So I simply list here those songs I listen to more often than "usual". When I arrive at home by car and one of these songs has just started and I can't wait until it has ended, I always come back later to just this song to particularly listen to it, catching up this way. :D
(Btw, very nice thread, because it provides the plesasant opportunity to enthuse about the songs once more. :lol: )

Voca Me and Secret
My absolute top favourites. And very different: Voca Me is both dramatic and delicate! An outstanding composition. It's fascinating, it carries me away, it thrills me! Obsessed by this song? Yes, I am.

The music of Secret gets to my soul in that highly personal way I never experienced before with a piece of music. I feel so good when I listen to this song and the chance to re-listen immediately keeps being high.

How Shall I Sing That Majesty
I have only superlatives for this song, too! It attracts my attention completely. The whole song is a special treat, but most of all I'm bewitched by Stefan Leadbeater's voice in this song, and my highlight is the way he sings "without a shore" in the 2nd stanza. Wonderful beyond words!

Salva Me
This is so spirited, full of energy and so typically Libera that I can't stop listening to this one. It fills me with good vibrations, a song for every situation!

Sancte
I wish so much to hear it live one day! I always wait especially for the imploring "creator" part. (This is, by the way, the one earlier song which would have fit very well to the "Hope" album, as it has that symphonic style that is so characteristic of "Hope".)

Sempiterna (especially Remix)
I also need this one. It's valium! When I heard it for the first time, I was talking to my son (so sorry!! :wink: ), but nevertheless suddenly realised that I slumped, no joke. :lol: Another thing that I've never experienced before Libera. When I need inner balance, I go to this song.

Stabat
Yes, repeat! And repeat! The atmosphere and beauty of this song draw me in. It's full of devotion and I can't resist it.

Benedictus Deus
So far, unusal for Libera and somehow a "big" song, one of the most interesting of Libera, I find. When they published it in that radio show, I couldn't get enough, so that was on a loop, and it's still a song that I repeat almost each time.

Stabat Mater
I feel absorbed. All else was said in my "Hope" review.

Three Ravens
Alone at home, where I can hear it loud: Yes, then I listen to that again and again!

Angels We Have Heard On High
Oh, this is in fact a Christmas song that, in the Libera version, I've listened to all over the year! I never do that with Christmas music, but this song is so full of joy that I need to hear it more than only during Christmas time. It's similar with the stunning Carol of the Bells.

Very often repeated for a while and still much preferred:

Something Sings and Time (2016)
The dreamy, meditative mood of these two songs ... :)

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep (2016)
Last year I listened to it again and again and I still am at this song's feet. What a wonderful composition by Robert and what a wonderful solo by Ben Crawley!

Beata Lux (2017)
Um ... ambiguous! I listened to it for the first time and it hit through me. So I listened to it very often at first. But some day, the dominant drumset began to disturb me. I still value the song high, but I just don't enjoy the listening so much anymore. A new version is needed!

Well, it also goes the other way round: There is one song I just cannot put on repeat:

Ave Maria (Vavilov/Caccini)
... touches me to the bottom of my soul. The song itself already is wonderful, but Tom Cully is simply incredible here. Since I've heard him with this song, it's very hard for me to listen to any other version anymore. But I can only listen to it once, because it feels so heartbreaking every time that I'm not able to take a repetition.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:07 pm">6 years ago</span> Ave Maria (Vavilov/Caccini)
... touches me to the bottom of my soul. The song itself already is wonderful, but Tom Cully is simply incredible here. Since I've heard him with this song, it's very hard for me to listen to any other version anymore. But I can only listen to it once, because it feels so heartbreaking every time that I'm not able to take a repetition.
I like this song a lot, and I do feel somewhat the same (I can still put it on repeat though). I remember there was one time I showed this song to my father & he enjoyed it so much that we put it on loop during dinner...
Aliens: What does the humankind have that can be given out for the sake of the universe?
Me: *shows LIBERA, KALAFINA & DULCIS VOX :lol:*
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

These are the Libera songs I always come back to no matter what so I have listened to them 100's of times.

Stay with Me ( Ed & Liam)
How Shall I sing that Majesty ( Stefan L)
Time
Thee Ravens
Wayfairing Stranger
Ave Verum
Home

I would say these songs are my most played.
Last edited by dani on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm">6 years ago</span> These are the Libera songs I always come back to no matter what so I have listened to them 100's of times.

Time
Thee Ravens
Wayfairing Stranger
Ave Verum

And Home? As far as I remember, this song is very special to you, too. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:19 pm">6 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm">6 years ago</span> These are the Libera songs I always come back to no matter what so I have listened to them 100's of times.

Time
Thee Ravens
Wayfairing Stranger
Ave Verum

And Home? As far as I remember, this song is very special to you, too. :)

Yes, well spotted I will add it.
WilliamCarrillo

Post by WilliamCarrillo »

Lucas wrote: <span title="Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 pm">6 years ago</span> Though I frequently listen to a wide swath of Libera music, I regularly find that after finding this I have "that one song" that I can listen to on repeat without using quickly tiring of it. Have you had phenq GNC those songs? Do you have such a song currently? I've had a couple, so I'm curious what songs may have enchanted others, too! Here are mine:
Not on permanent repeat for months, but those songs that I can listen to any time and many times are:

1. Angel
2. Home
3. Time
4. Secret

All one-word titles. Coincidence?
Last edited by WilliamCarrillo on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Welcome to Libera Dreams, WilliamCarrillo! :D Some good songs you have picked out there. Would love to hear more from you, maybe even an introduction over at the new member's sub-forum? It is always nice to hear how others found Libera and which songs or albums meant the most to them.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Nice topic!
For me it changes. There was a time I endlessly listened to Song of Life, it's still a classic favourite of mine.
Love and Mercy, Adoramus and Going Home in my first year of getting to know Libera.
You Were There as well.

Songs I wish would never end: Sancte and Benedictus Deus. I think Benedictus Deus is the one song I could indeed literally listen to on a loop.

I think what all these songs have in common is a glorious sound to bask in.
They also captivate me with the lyrics.

(...Wow, this topic takes me back to the time I first discovered Libera, listening to Going Home over and over... what a magical time that was - and so much has happened since then! :D )
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

WilliamCarrillo wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:02 pm">5 years ago</span> 1. Angel
2. Home
You realize these two are somewhat similar in all both melody/chord progressions and structure, do you? How about other songs composed by the same person: Far Away, You Were There and Song of Life?

maartendas wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:24 pm">5 years ago</span> (...Wow, this topic takes me back to the time I first discovered Libera, listening to Going Home over and over... what a magical time that was - and so much has happened since then! )
I can totally relate to this feeling of yours. I too usually sit alone and think about my encounter with Libera - it was a "magical" time indeed, and my life seemed to have been changed forever...
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

I am a new fan. I found Libera (Angel Voices) December 2016 when I was looking for the song Gaudete (Adam Harris). I liked it so much that I tried to find other songs by them. Next I found Salva Me by Liam O’Kane and Steven Geraghty. It snowballed after that, as I kept finding more videos and then the historical timeline.

My first loop was Far Away. I would play it over and over on YouTube with all the different singers. In order of favorite: Ralph Skan, Tom Cully, Ben Phillip, and Michael Horncastle.

As I started finding more videos I would do a loop of Tom Cully songs, Liam O’Kane songs, or Steven Geraghty songs. That was until I found videos of Isaac London and all his fabulous solos and then it was Isaac all the time. My next song on loop was Angel with Isaac London live in Universal Studios Japan. It is still my favorite song by him.

After that I bought the CD’s Libera, Luminosa, Eternal, and Song of Life – a collection. I bought the DVD’s for the Christmas in Ireland and Washington, D.C. concerts. It took me a while to find the Peace CD and the Lieden concert DVD. With these I could play them in my car or IPod all day. My next songs on loop were Song of Life (Ralph Skan), Voca Me (Joe Platt) and Recordare (Connor O’Donnell).

I had the Time video on loop on my headphones, not visually. I think the video is too weird and the green tint on the boys faces and especially on Josh’s face is kind of creepy.

When the Hope CD came out I played Angel in the car so much that it annoyed my son. As I played the rest of the CD, Dreaming of Home, Benedictus Deus and Home became loops next.

I recently had a loop on Evening Falls (Daren Geraghty). It is haunting and sad but relaxing. It is not his best performance, but for some reason, it stayed in my head for a few weeks and I just had to listen to it. Technically, he was St Phillip’s Boy Choir when he recorded this song.

My current loop is the In Paradisum video with the outstanding Rocco Tesei soloing. His voice is so pure and perfect I just can’t stop playing it. The scenery of the video and the words of the song are beautiful. I can’t wait for the Beyond Cd to come out!
Jay Remy

Post by Jay Remy »

I am new in Libera Dreams but I have been a fan of Libera for more than 10 years. Own many of their albums too. But if I were to choose one song out of many that I like ( and I like all of them), one song that I could loop for hours, I would choose "Benedictus Deus". I like this one so much that many times I tried to sing along...or at least hum along. It's in Latin and I could not make out the last two verses.
enjaysea

Post by enjaysea »

Be Still My Soul - 1988
In Paradisum - 2018

I'll give you my third choice in 30 years.