Libera songs that would be difficult to perform live

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Libera songs that would be difficult to perform live

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I always found this to be an interesting aspect of Libera's studio recordings. It hasn't been an issue lately with their live concert recordings, but there are a couple difficult songs on their Hope album. They have modified a couple songs in the past to make them easier to perform live, but that's not always an option. I would love to hear "Venite Adoremus" from the latest album in a concert, but it may be difficult to coordinate the wordless vocals in the opening and closing sections. "The Three Ravens" may also be quite challenging, but they might be able to pull it off, except now I realize that a soprano sax was used, so I don't know how they would deal with that on a tour. I am also hoping they can perform "Benedictus Deus" live, but they need a sufficient number of string players. "Stabat Mater" would also need a decent number of string players, but also a mature treble voice with the right timbre. I used to think that "Sancte" from the New Dawn album had never been performed live until I found out that they did it in some concerts years ago. "Sancte" would be a good one to revive for future concerts.
Last edited by bachmahlerfan on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Libera songs that would be difficult to perform live

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you for this thread! Sometimes, in connection with my wishes for a concert song list, I was wondering about this question, too, but never thought about asking here.

I've always wanted to hear Touch The Sky live, because it's a song that is totally different from the other songs, very interesting. I like it. Hats off to Ben Crawley! However, it will be very difficult for the choir because of the many waving dissonances they would have to sing properly. I heard that the song has never been performed live, so this might be the reason? Although, in my opinion they were able to! At the beginning, I thought that Mysterium was too big a challenge, but luckily, I am wrong.

Three Ravens might be difficult, because it will be very hard to intone right live.

For Benedictus Dei and Vavilov's Ave Maria they need an extremely high qualified soloist - particularly challenging songs.

I don't think that Sancte should be a problem, maybe they could let a keyboard sound support the dynamic development. At least, I don't want to hear that it cannot be performed, because I'm dreaming of hearing it live one day. :!: :) And "Hope" is a very symphonic album. I hope they took into account that we would love to hear the songs live ...

Anyway, I may be alone with this opinion, but I believe that every song they sing should be able to be performed live. It's more honest to me.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Re: Libera songs that would be difficult to perform live

Post by dani »

This is a good thread :)

I feel if they perform a song on a album then it should be able to be reproduced at concert level. But that's not always the case it would seem.

With three Ravens getting such good reviews for example surely they have to consider adding it to the concert set list before Gregors voice changes ?

It would be a travesty not to get to hear it performed on stage as it's one of the most remarkable songs they have produced in years as it's so different.