Favourite version of 'Sanctus'?

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

rubberduckysquawk

Favourite version of 'Sanctus'?

Post by rubberduckysquawk »

I understand this is something of an old debate quite bound to polarize, but I'm genuinely curious.

Personally I think the 1999 version is nulli secundus. The opening of the piece got me quite hooked and the excellent harmony failed to disappoint. And the ending solo...phew!

I wish I could say the same of later renditions, but they all sounded a bit off in one way or another. I dare say Sanctus II was bold in having a drum line tacked on - imho the wrong kind of bold though. The one performance that came closest to the original was https://youtu.be/38bpE5VkwO0 - not a bad opening solo from the two boys, but the notes stood out in a less than pleasing way when the rest of the choir kicked in.

No offense meant...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Favourite version of 'Sanctus'?

Post by Surpinto »

Sanctus II (Luminosa) is my favorite version as it is very unique and, as you say, bold. The rest have their subtleties that distinguish one from the other but I struggle to pick a favorite among those. The version from "Eternal" is probably the best from among the others to my ear. I like the song but as Jimmy Riddle stated for long-time fans this song has been overdone, but that is not in any way to disparage the piece. It is a good one. :D

By the way, welcome to Libera Dreams! :D What a hilarious nickname :lol: how did you pick it? :D It sounds like you have been a fan for a long time prior to registering here, I was the same way. It is always interesting to me how people discover Libera and just to get to know them a bit, so, if you are feeling up to it, maybe you can make an introduction post on the Introduce Yourself sub-forum.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Favourite version of 'Sanctus'?

Post by Yorkie »

I probably lean to Sanctus III myself, probably because of the 'over exposure' of Sanctus I
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love