St Philip's Church, Norbury

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

mickmackin

St Philip's Church, Norbury

Post by mickmackin »

The St Philip's Church in Norbury will be holding a Music & Words for Passiontide on Sunday 2nd April, 2017 at 6:30 PM.

Free Entry with Retiring Collection

Featuring the St Philip's Choir -> Brahms, Handel, Walton, Lotti, Weelkes, Chilcott and more....

fb.me/8xx3Y4j1p
mickmackin

Re: St Philip's Church, Norbury

Post by mickmackin »

WOW - the choir were unbelievable!!! Just a pity there weren't more people at the church service. 🙏🙏🙏
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Libera in churches

Post by TullyBascombe »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm">5 years ago</span> Here is the interview from "Music from the Tower". Thank you, Surpinto, for making it available!

https://soundcloud.com/surpinto/music-f ... ith-libera
Early in the interview Robert mentions that the choir sings in various churches in south London and that if someone wanted to hear them sing in church on a Sunday he should check to see which church they were singing in that Sunday. Does anyone know how someone would check which church they're singing at on a particular Sunday?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Libera interviews collection

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 am">4 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm">5 years ago</span> Here is the interview from "Music from the Tower". Thank you, Surpinto, for making it available!

https://soundcloud.com/surpinto/music-f ... ith-libera
Early in the interview Robert mentions that the choir sings in various churches in south London and that if someone wanted to hear them sing in church on a Sunday he should check to see which church they were singing in that Sunday. Does anyone know how someone would check which church they're singing at on a particular Sunday?
I think that this is not entirely forthright but he seems to do this for two reasons.

My understanding (which is likely incomplete and invites correction from those who know) is that they primarily sing at their own church but are occasionally a guest choir in other churches - this is normal practice in the choir world. I think the reason Robert says what he does is to draw a clear distinction between the larger, liturgical choir of men and boys of the church from which they originate, and the somewhat more 'secular' manifestation of the boys-only section of that same choir which we know as "Libera". He quite rightly does not want anyone to confuse Libera with the liturgical choir or to believe that Libera represents that church or its music. That is the first reason.

The second and more important reason is that he probably wants to discourage Libera fans from coming to their church in London. That is probably best because not only is the church choir not Libera, but they are there to perform a liturgical function in the worship service rather than a choral concert. He doesn't want the lines blurred in that respect either.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:07 pm">4 years ago</span>

The second and more important reason is that he probably wants to discourage Libera fans from coming to their church in London. That is probably best because not only is the church choir not Libera, but they are there to perform a liturgical function in the worship service rather than a choral concert. He doesn't want the lines blurred in that respect either.
In the interview though he suggests that people who want to hear the choir at Sunday mass check to see what church they're singing at beforehand. That doesn't sound like discouragement. Yes, I realize that the choir that sings on Sunday at St. Phillip's is not identical to Libera, it has an adult component plus many of the boys are not per se parishioners of St. Philips.
I'm visiting London in September. I've been an Episcopalian all my life. Our church is related to the Church of England, I'd like to attend a Church of England Sunday service anyway.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:28 am">4 years ago</span>

In the interview though he suggests that people who want to hear the choir at Sunday mass check to see what church they're singing at beforehand. That doesn't sound like discouragement. Yes, I realize that the choir that sings on Sunday at St. Phillip's is not identical to Libera, it has an adult component plus many of the boys are not per se parishioners of St. Philips.
I'm visiting London in September. I've been an Episcopalian all my life. Our church is related to the Church of England, I'd like to attend a Church of England Sunday service anyway.
My inexact phrasing is to blame here. I am certain that you are more than welcome to worship with them if that is your intent and you are in the area.

But I get the feeling based on a number of things which have been said over the years (such as here) that some people go to their church as fans rather than as worshipers - if that distinction makes sense. In such case a person may not abide by the decorum required in a worship service; and, according to the thread I just linked, there have been unpleasant "incidents" with overzealous fans showing up at their church. :?

That is why I used the word "discourage" albeit I was inexact as to the nature of the discouragement and what type of person/behavior such discouragement is aimed at.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm">4 years ago</span>

My inexact phrasing is to blame here. I am certain that you are more than welcome to worship with them if that is your intent and you are in the area.

But I get the feeling based on a number of things which have been said over the years (such as here) that some people go to their church as fans rather than as worshipers - if that distinction makes sense. In such case a person may not abide by the decorum required in a worship service; and, according to the thread I just linked, there have been unpleasant "incidents" with overzealous fans showing up at their church. :?

That is why I used the word "discourage" albeit I was inexact as to the nature of the discouragement and what type of person/behavior such discouragement is aimed at.
When will you be in London Tully? The boys should be back at school by then so I would expect the full choir (boys and men) to be back on Sundays from the 8th. I have never seen a website that shows where they will be singing but I have noticed that from time to time a message on the St Philip's website says that they are holding a joint service with another church in the area so I have always assumed that they would be singing there.

You will of course be very welcome to attend the services and I think you will be rewarded with excellent singing for doing so. The service is High Church Anglican (bells and smells on feast days) but the people are very welcoming. Surpinto is right that some Libera fans have not recognised the difference between Libera and St Philips but that won't be a problem for you. If you want to attend any other services/Evensong's whilst in London give me a shout and I'll be happy to tell you of my tips and experiences.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Check your private messages.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'll be arriving in London on September the 19th and staying for a week so I suppose I'd like to try to attend the service on the 22nd. I took a look at the C of E Book of Common Prayer, their order of Holy Communion looks similar to the order used by the Episcopal church when I was young so it shouldn't be strange to me. Southern Episcopalians away from major urban areas tend to be rather "low church" but I can probably wing on the crossing and etc. I'm guessing that these days attire of parishioners during service tends to be pretty eclectic? Since I'm touring urban areas only and since it will be early fall I was planning on wearing long pants and long sleeved button down shirts anyway. I'm sure that I could find room for a tie in my suitcase.
Sorry if this is getting too far off topic.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 am">4 years ago</span> I'll be arriving in London on September the 19th and staying for a week so I suppose I'd like to try to attend the service on the 22nd. I took a look at the C of E Book of Common Prayer, their order of Holy Communion looks similar to the order used by the Episcopal church when I was young so it shouldn't be strange to me. Southern Episcopalians away from major urban areas tend to be rather "low church" but I can probably wing on the crossing and etc. I'm guessing that these days attire of parishioners during service tends to be pretty eclectic? Since I'm touring urban areas only and since it will be early fall I was planning on wearing long pants and long sleeved button down shirts anyway. I'm sure that I could find room for a tie in my suitcase.
Sorry if this is getting too far off topic.
Your dress sounds fine, you won't be out of place at all. They normally have a n order of service card that you can follow - nobody will be too interested in what you do anyway. If you go in the morning be sure to stay behind for a cup of tea & a biscuit and have a chat with the other members of the congregation.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Re: St Philip's Church, Norbury

Post by andmar »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 am">4 years ago</span> I'll be arriving in London on September the 19th and staying for a week so I suppose I'd like to try to attend the service on the 22nd.
I was lucky to be at the St.Philip's church in Norbury and hear the St.Philip's Choir twice. It was a wonderful experience each time and I really felt very much welcome in that church, to which a nice chat with the parish members contributed a lot. Of course, as it has been said here before, no Libera concert is to be expected, but an act of worship with liturgical singing. However, it was stunning to see the boys sing a completely different repertoire with such a commitment and joy and they were really good. I'm sure, you will enjoy the service! It's definitely worth attending while you are in London.