Steve Philipp 1962 – 2017

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Steve Philipp 1962 – 2017

Post by JimmyRiddle »

posted by official libera: https://libera.org.uk/news/steve-philipp-1962-2017/
Steve Philipp became part of the Libera family when his son Ben joined as a miniboy in 2006. This meant travelling at least four times a week from Hindhead to South London – a return journey each time of over 80 miles. The Libera staff speculated that such a commitment could not be sustained, but we were proved wrong as Ben went on to become a soloist and leading boy in the choir, and Steve went on to be the chairman of the Libera charity which runs the organisation.

Born in Iowa in the US, Steve initially studied music, and was a fine pianist and organist. But almost by chance his career took a different direction as he moved into finance and banking.
Steve remembered dreaming as a child that he could become part of a travelling boys choir. After moving to the UK, and discovering Libera, he really did become part of a travelling choir – a very crucial part in fact, as his own vision and skills began to guide the expansion, reach and appeal of Libera’s music and tours. As a devoutly spiritual person, Steve was heartened by the possibility that the music of Libera could sometimes profoundly touch the hearts of listeners – whether specifically religious or not.

Steve’s life took some surprising turns, several of them very challenging. But his eternally positive and practical frame of mind always seemed to find lights at the end of tunnels, and many is the person whose sadnesses and disappointments were buoyed up by his optimism – confidences restored – solutions embraced – classically exemplified when a 40 strong Libera party returning from a tour in the Far East, got stuck in Greece behind the ash cloud which brought all air travel across Europe to a halt for several weeks. From London, Steve masterminded an extraordinary rescue involving several hotels in Athens; a coach ride across the country to Patras; 2 days on a ferry to Venice; half a day’s wait in the city during which he arranged a privately guided tour of St Marks; 2 days on a coach across the Alps; then a ferry to Dover and another coach returning us finally home 5 days later – all amidst utter travel chaos across the continent.

At Libera we shall miss his irrepressible spirit, his practical inspiration, wit, intellect and vision – and a true and a wonderful friend.

Requiescat In Pace
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Steve Philipp 1962 – 2017

Post by Yorkie »

Very sad news, he helped build Libera in to the group we all love today. My condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time.

I can't claim to know Steve in anyway but I did meet him on several occasions before and after Libera concerts and he always took the time to talk to the fans and update us on little details and plans. There are two meetings that I remember particularly: In Chester back in 2010 I arrived in the early afternoon and Steve was at the front of the Cathedral with a stack of flyers. Somehow, and I'm still not sure how, he managed to persuade me to take a bundle out on to the streets and try to talk people in to attending that's night's concert :D

The second time was in Armagh for the filming of the Christmas DVD. The official concert was on the Friday night but there was a full rehearsal on Thursday that was supposed to be closed to the public. Steve was staying in the same hotel and he chatted to us at breakfast and we enquired about the possibility of attending the Thursday night rehearsal. Steve said that he would see if it was possible and get back to us. True to his word he came back to us later in the day and said we were fine to attend.

A true gentleman, I know that many including myself will miss him, but he will always be part of the Libera story.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thankyou for sharing those thoughts Yorkie. Although I never met him, it’s clearly shown in the message put out by Libera how much of his time and commitment he gave to promote their continued success. The sticky thread on this forum also demonstrates how accommodating he was in bridging that gap between the fans and official libera and clarifying any misunderstandings.

My thoughts go out to those closest to him and his family.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Though I never met him, two things speak of his character. I was impressed with his insightful comment on the Songs of Praise TV special - "I believe that it's the coupling of excellent harmonic structure with words that have very profound meaning. If there's truth behind something, I think it bears witness in the hearts of individuals that hear it." And the other is simply that a man of his talents and abilities would choose to devote considerable time and effort into enabling and promoting a worthy group like Libera speaks of not only his fine taste in music, but in his wisdom of passing on character and virtue to our next generation. Prayers of comfort to the extended Philipp family and the Libera family; "Deep peace of Christ, the Light of the World, to you."

(I had a nice screenshot of the video, but I forgot I can't upload a picture from my desktop.)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm very sorry to hear this. Of course all of our prayers go out to his family.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

Our prayers are with him and his family.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

My deepest condolences to the family of Steve Philipp. He provided crucial support for Libera and will be greatly missed.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not. I suspect nearly everybody will have picked up on it anyway via Twitter but just in case somebody has missed it and would like to contribute I'll link it:

https://www.gofundme.com/steven-philipp-memorial-fund

It has been confirmed as genuine. There is also an obituary for Steve in a local newspaper
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

An incredible loss, what a horrible thing to lose such a great man, and so young!

An uneasy reminder that as we age, our wills and life insurance must be considered.

Rest In Peace, dear Libera Chairman. Thoughts and prayers to your family.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm just hoping that Ben is OK. He's what, 20 -ish? It's quite a blow to lose a father at that age.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Thank you for posting the obituary. I was surprised to learn that Mr. Phillips was an American! And that his place of death should be so close to my childhood home--well, it was something of an odd feeling. I am sorry to never have met him, he sounds like a fine man.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I've only just heard this news, Its a very sad loss indeed.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hard to believe and very sad.
My thoughts are with his relatives and all who are a part of the Libera family.

Never met him but he seemed to be such a lively, vital part of what keeps Libera going. He will surely be missed and remembered.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above