Name five musical pieces which you would like Robert

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Liesma

Re: Name five musical pieces which you would like Robert

Post by Liesma »

I was just listening to some music of Michael W. Smith, and remembered, that I had an idea, that as Libera have song with Pachelbel`s canon, so it could be nice, if they would have song with some melody from Micheals W. Smith too. I know his 2 instrumental albums - "Glory" and "Freedom". I think, that nice songs could be with "Carol ann" from "Freedom" and "Patriot", "The Blessing" from "Glory".

Main idea from me - what could be better than beautiful music from Michael W. Smith, great lyrics from... (I don't know where - Bible, some other lyrics (by RP?)) and heavenly performance by Libera!? :D

hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Gorgeous music. And I really, really like your idea.

After all, We (re)discovered recently that Libera had already collaborated with Twila Paris, another well known Christian singer in the US, on her 1998 CD Perennial. Plus, Michael W. Smith has already used youth choirs on at least four of his CDs so far. Maybe there could be a collaboration, and it could even generate some extra interest in these two instrumental CDs.

These arrangements already have that cinematic feel, and Libera has substantial experience with film soundtracks. The chord progressions in these allow for plenty of background vocals and soaring descants.

Anyway, good thinking, and I might have to consider getting one or both of these CDs just for nice listening. Thanks!
rubberduckysquawk

Post by rubberduckysquawk »

'I Dreamed a Dream' from Les Miserables would be lovely, I imagine it'd have to be done as a solo though. Then again, I'm not the expert, the choirmaster is...

It's probably out of the scope of Libera the touring choir (and almost certainly not for the choir in the capacity of St Philip's Choir), but it would be real music to my ears if they did hymns like 'Eternal Father Strong to Save' and "The Day Thou Gavest".

I'm pretty sure it won't happen due to various reasons, but I would love the Monty Python parody of 'All Things Bright and Beautiful', titled 'All Things Dull and Ugly' set to Rutter's arrangement too. Libera used the latter arrangement twice, and then they went for the traditional one some years later.

Lastly, not a wish for new one but a hope that they'll resurrect something they've done before: "Love Lifts Us Up", covered on Thora Hird's programme.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

rubberduckysquawk wrote: <span title="Sun May 21, 2017 7:24 pm">6 years ago</span> I'm pretty sure it won't happen due to various reasons, but I would love the Monty Python parody of 'All Things Bright and Beautiful', titled 'All Things Dull and Ugly' set to Rutter's arrangement too. Libera used the latter arrangement twice, and then they went for the traditional one some years later.
Why not go all out for "The Galaxy Song"?
Karo

Post by Karo »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 am">7 years ago</span> I love Libera to sing their own songs. If they never sang anything else than songs composed by Robert Prizeman or a (former) Libera member, I would be completely satisfied. However, if there has to be an existing song which then can be arranged for Libera, this is the song I mentioned (at the moment I've got only one suggestion): Athair Ar Neamh.
That`s exactly what came into my mind too when I heard this song for the first time. I generally think that songs by Enya are fitting to the Libera style quite well, as alredy shown by singing "Orinoco Flow" :)

If I remember that right - you are also from Germany filiarheni, aren't you? Because another piece, which I thought of, was "Der Mond ist aufgegangen" (the moon has risen) by Matthias Claudius, one of the most beautiful German lullabies.

The boys already proved being able to sing in German, as they sang "Abendsegen" (Hansel and Gretel) in Vallendar last year.

Then there is a particular christmas carol I would love to hear sung by Libera, because I find it as powerful as "Carol of the bells" - Hark, the herald angels sing. I think they may have performed it together with other choirs in some kind of TV show but I'm not quite sure...

You'll probably all know Mr Bean :P Did you ever notice the song playing at the end of every episode? :P Ecce homo

I mean... it sounds so much like a serious classical peace, but the lyrics...just Mr Bean- like. Probably a little too meaningless to be performed by Libera :P
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Karo wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm">6 years ago</span>If I remember that right - you are also from Germany filiarheni, aren't you? Because another piece, which I thought of, was "Der Mond ist aufgegangen" (the moon has risen) by Matthias Claudius, one of the most beautiful German lullabies.

The boys already proved being able to sing in German, as they sang "Abendsegen" (Hansel and Gretel) in Vallendar last year.
Hi Karo, ja, ich komme auch aus Deutschland. :) I totally share your opinion about the beauty of "Der Mond ist aufgegangen", this is such a calming song, the simple melody is as beautiful as are the poetic, hopeful words and both form a perfect unity. For Libera ... well ... I can imagine that they would do wonderfully, but nevertheless it is composed in a folk song style with very short stanzas. I don't like this kind of songs for Libera so much, because I prefer songs providing the possibiliy to build up and release tension, living out their sound, and I always think that "stanza songs" like this limit them. I like Rest in Peace for its words, When A Knight for Ben's way of singing and - very much - Mother of God for its intimacy, its harmonies and the way the melody goes, but all in all I see these songs as an addition and not belonging to their core repertory.

Well, Karo, if they sang it, I'm afraid we would have to be satisfied with an English version, because I guess that a whole song in German would probably stress them a bit ... But that's alright, in fact I do always enjoy listening to English that is free of accent! :lol:

Karo wrote: <span title="Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm">6 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:23 am">7 years ago</span> I love Libera to sing their own songs. If they never sang anything else than songs composed by Robert Prizeman or a (former) Libera member, I would be completely satisfied. However, if there has to be an existing song which then can be arranged for Libera, this is the song I mentioned (at the moment I've got only one suggestion): Athair Ar Neamh.
That`s exactly what came into my mind too when I heard this song for the first time. I generally think that songs by Enya are fitting to the Libera style quite well, as alredy shown by singing "Orinoco Flow" :)
Yes, Enya songs and Libera harmonise very well. Angel Voices also sang Evening Falls by Enya, and I confess that this has been the only song so far that I do not like at all in the Libera or Angel Voices version, because the singing is just too similar to the original. If they sing another one's song, they should always add something new and make it their own this way.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Personally, seeing how great their arrangement for "Wayfaring Stranger" was, I would like to hear them do more arrangements of hymns that have their origin in the American shape note tradition. Two favorites of mine are "His Voice as the Sound of the Dulcimer" and "What Wondrous Love is This" (which was previously mentioned in this thread, but with a different performance). While I'm not a big Mormon Tabernacle Choir fan, I do like this performance of the Mack Wilberg arrangement of "His Voice as the Sound". Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgSf9bVGig
And for the other hymn I put a link to a choir that is close to where I live, the St. Olaf College Choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVnvN3EVxY
I wonder how RP or Sam would arrange "His Voice" because if it's done in a higher key, you could lose some of the gentleness of the song. On the other hand, some of the text could justify a more dramatic climax.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 pm">8 years ago</span> I was listening to the US concert given by King's earlier this year (well worth a listen HERE and the Encore really caught my attention - would it suit Libera do you think?

There are some versions on YouTube but not with a Treble line:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
For anybody who missed the encore on the concert broadcast King's have obliged with a video of this song for their upcoming album

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

I'm currently in the process of looking for music for my own elementary singers for our spring programming and I stumbled upon this beauty of a song: "Let Go The Long White Sails."

We might sing the same version here in this video. But oh boy ... My first thought when I heard this was "How excellent could this be if Libera were to arrange and perform this...?" Maybe some day!

Let Go The Long White Sails
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm surprised I didn't think of this sooner, but I think a choral arrangement of Camille Saint Saens' "The Swan" would be great. After all, Robert has already done vocal arrangements of Saint Saen's "Aquarium" and the famous theme from his 3rd Symphony. At first, I was thinking that "The Swan" has been arranged in a thousand different ways, but those arrangements rarely involve a choir. I think a successful arrangement of this piece would prove to be superior to Robert's past arrangements of music by Saint-Saens. As far as lyrics are concerned, I'm not going to give an opinion one way or another. One challenge with the piece is that the melody has a pretty wide range, but it could be doable by a soloist if done in the right key. But, it doesn't necessarily have to be a soloist singing the whole melody.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Just came across a nice one this evening - an especially appropriate song during this difficult period we're in. And sounds like it could be easily 'Libera-ized' (by Robert, Sam, or both).

Could be part of a next CD, which, if they follow the recent one-word theme (Peace, Hope, Beyond), could even be 'Journey'.

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Very nice! The lyrics are similar to songs like May the Road Rise Up or other comforting songs, so it would fit in well within the Libera repertoire.

I like the video, the images fit very well with the mood of the song. I love coastal areas, flowing water and reflected sunlight :D
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So apparently the words are a traditional Irish blessing but the melody is by Elaine Hagenburg. That means that the words are free but he can construct his own melody without infringing on anyone else's rights.
Molyfar

Post by Molyfar »

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - Any Dream Will Do
The contemporary version of The Lord's My Shepherd - By Stuart Townend
Oliver the Musical - Where is Love
Oliver the Musical - I'd Do Anything
Les Misérables the Musical - Do you Hear the People Sing
The old codger :-D
Molyfar

Post by Molyfar »