Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

tcliffy
Gold Member

Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by tcliffy »

So, to introduce people to other great singers and choirs, I thought we should have this forum. I think we've done something like it before, but I thought we should revive it since we have so many new members.

One of my favorite singers is Joseph McManners. He's from Kent, England and he's an amazing singer as well as an accomplished actor having played the part of the Little Prince in the BBC's production of the opera. He also played Oliver Twist in a small revival production at his local theater where Aled Jones and Haley Westenra also sang. You can see him here...
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and here he's playing Oliver...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... iver+twist

I also love the Drakensberg Boys Choir from my own country, South Africa. They are unique in that they use English and Zulu in their singing. They are also some of the first to break the racial boundaries that ensnared South Africa in the past. Not all whites in SA were racist including my family and I. When I move back to South Africa, I will move to the Drakensberg Mountains as they are some of the most beautiful mountains in the world.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... re=related
http://www.troyesivan.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

My favourite singer is a Billy Gilman, song called "Oklahoma". Btw this is my way to Libera (i was looking for Oklahoma and found Libera) :)

:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
DrewE
Silver Member

Post by DrewE »

A few of my other favorites:

I have a few recordings of the American Boychoir that are excellent (Hymn, Carol, and Voices of Angels--the last not to be confused with Angel Voices, of course). Stylistically, they tend mostly towards traditional choral music and instrumentation, but there's some variation there. Their recording of Holst's "Christmas Day" on Carol is especially good, in my opinion, of course in no small part because it's a wonderful piece.

Any day now, I should receive a (used) copy of the album Odo et Ami produced by the Riga Dom Boys' Choir (in Riga, Latvia). I know a bit what I'm getting, as I was able to borrow a copy previously. It is a difficult title to find--it's out of print, and I don't think it was ever too widely distributed. It is absolutely unique, though, and covers a huge range musically, from something akin to traditional ecclesiastical singing to folk, hard rock, and quite a bit in between. I think this may be the only recording yet made of Latin boys' choir rap. Bits and pieces of it are somewhat reminiscent of Libera.

Less on the youthful side of things, I enjoy Take 6 a lot, too, especially their a cappella numbers. Their most recent recording (entirely of jazz standards) has a fun rendition of "Sweet Georgia Brown" that's quite well done. (If you aren't familiar with the tune, but are with basketball, think of the Harlem Globe Trotters...)

I'll also mention a pretty silly album entitled No More Kings. The singing (a fellow named Pete Mitchell) isn't all that exceptional, nor is the production quality. The songs themselves are creative and a bit wacky, and the subject matter a pretty diverse cruise through popular culture. Ports of call include Gulliver's Travels, Peanuts, Knight Rider, The Karate Kid, and even a bit of Gene Kelly, among others.
carina_gino20
Platinum Member

Post by carina_gino20 »

Have you guys heard of The Priests? They are, quite simply, lovely. I haven't bought their first album yet, but I hear it's in the Top 5 of the charts. :lol:

Some of their vids:

Pie Jesu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6g5X2hGab0

Ave Maria: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfd8YXvyVE
paopao

Post by paopao »

Narnian wrote:My favourite singer is a Billy Gilman, song called "Oklahoma". Btw this is my way to Libera (i was looking for Oklahoma and found Libera) :)

haha.. what a coincidence, i'd say destiny^^
i also like Billy's songs, especially There's a Hero..
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I like Billy Gilman before his voice changed. The earlier songs he sang like Till I can make it on my own, Oklahoma, There's a hero, God's alive and well, etc were really good. He could sing pretty high, and has really good control and singing techniques. But after that, hmm.. I haven't really heard any other new songs that I really like. His voice just doesn't sound as strong as before. But well, he seems to be "hotter" than before! Ha. :D
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I don't know if anyone has heard of Elie Dupuis, but he has a amazing talent. He plays the piano and they say he has never had a singing lesson. The emotion this kid puts into his songs really sets him apart. here are links to two songs he did for a movie soundtrack. The first song is in English and the second is in French, both are subtitled.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Plato
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

I don't know if anyone has heard of Elie Dupuis, but he has a amazing talent. He plays the piano and they say he has never had a singing lesson. The emotion this kid puts into his songs really sets him apart. here are links to two songs he did for a movie soundtrack. The first song is in English and the second is in French, both are subtitled.

I just went to hear the songs you mentioned and I really liked it. Thanks! Does he has any album?
jennaluvspbr
Gold Member

Post by jennaluvspbr »

Narnian wrote:My favourite singer is a Billy Gilman, song called "Oklahoma". Btw this is my way to Libera (i was looking for Oklahoma and found Libera) :)

this song makes me cry a lot beccs its my favriet i have 5 cds of this star and he sing like a girl lolololololololololololol from jenna
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

xsakurax wrote:

I just went to hear the songs you mentioned and I really liked it. Thanks! Does he has any album?

Im not sure if he has a album out yet or not, I know there is a soundtrack for the movie. I dont think he does but I will check on it and let you know.
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Plato
Digs
Silver Member

Post by Digs »

I checked and the only cd out is of the movie soundtrack. You can get the soundtrack on Amazon.com or just the MP3s of Elie's songs.
Plato
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Oh Thanks! I do hope he has more songs though, his voice is just so unique and special. "The Great Escape" that he sang was full of emotions. I totally love it!

By the way, just wanted to ask if any of you have been to any of Thomanerchor Leipzig's concerts or anything? Cos in March they are coming down to Singapore, and I'm kind of contemplating if I should go and see their performance. Since Libera isn't coming to Singapore anytime soon, and I couldn't afford to visit them, I desperately need some sort of musical entertainment after my exams too!
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

jennaluvspbr wrote:

this song makes me cry a lot beccs its my favriet i have 5 cds of this star and he sing like a girl lolololololololololololol from jenna
Its nice to heard it ;) He is good no doubts especially in his early years :)
Yesterday I found him on Youtube sing a song with a little girl and he cried. Soooo sweet :)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
xsakurax
Gold Member

Post by xsakurax »

Hey, Narnian, do you kind of still have the link or something? Of the video you saw on youtube that you mentioned earlier?
kjackson83

Post by kjackson83 »

xsakurax wrote: By the way, just wanted to ask if any of you have been to any of Thomanerchor Leipzig's concerts or anything? Cos in March they are coming down to Singapore, and I'm kind of contemplating if I should go and see their performance. Since Libera isn't coming to Singapore anytime soon, and I couldn't afford to visit them, I desperately need some sort of musical entertainment after my exams too!
I've never been to a Thomanerchor concert, but I am a HUGE fan of their work--the Thomanerchor was Johann Sebastian Bach's own choir (albeit in the early 1700s). The current Kantor of St Thomas, Georg Christoph Biller, is an excellent and very sensitive musician: I watched his concert live for the year 2000 (the 250th anniversary of Bach's death) and was blown away. They've put out several CDs via iTunes here in the US, all of them superb.

It looks like, while in Singapore, they'll be giving some music by Mendelssohn and three of the six Bach motets--those are, quite seriously, some of the very hardest a cappella vocal music ever written...if you can make it, go for it! The Thomaners are some of the best choral talent in the world.