Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for the heads up! Might go to Gouda or Den Bosch, I've never been to the church in Gouda but it has famous stained glass windows that I still wish to see one day. The cathedral in Den Bosch is amazing but I will have to see about the time. That afternoon I hope to witness the start of the Tour de France in my old hometown Utrecht ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Incredible. This boy really sings the piece rather than 'just' perform it, and does so with an amazing full-blooded soprano voice.

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

john45 wrote:From Facebook:

'"Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum of Dean Close Preparatory School
Excited to be singing at St Janskerk, Gouda on Friday 3rd July. Concert starts at 20.00 and no tickets are needed. We will also be singing in St Janskathedraal, Den Bosch on Saturday 4th July and singing Evensong at Hooglandse Kerk on Sunday 5th July.
Thank you to all who have sponsored our tour to the Netherlands next month. We are busy rehearsing and getting excited.
Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum of Dean Close Preparatory School."

Highly recommended if you are able to attend.
Great concert in Gouda and a very good Evensong in Leiden, I'm really glad I went. Thanks to john45!
There was a good crowd on their first night, well over a 100 people on a warm summer evening.
Mind you, I heard later that the boys and men really had trouble with the hot weather in their cassocks. I hadn't noticed from their performance though.
Personal highlights were:

- Ave verum by Byrd - a very moving performance, it just struck me deeply.

- O clap your hands - Orlando Gibbons - a piece that really builds up, and in the end it was fireworks! :)

- Hear my prayer by Mendelssohn - a choice for two soloists in this piece, one from the cantoris side and one from the decani side. The first one I already spotted in the choir as he sings with great attention and expression. His solo voice was something very special. Soft in tone, it made me think of satin or silk. No other way to describe it really.
The other soloist - in the part 'O for the wings of a dove' - had a rather different voice, somehow stronger, more active, and a very unique tone. He sang in a more modest manner than the first soloist though and I quietly encouraged him from my seat :)
During the applause the first boy took a second bow and then motioned to his fellow chorister to do the same - a real showman! :)
I got to give the first soloist a compliment after the concert. His name is Ben. I told him he could be a famous singer one day :) He was very thankful for that.
In Leiden I also had the opportunity to give the other soloist a compliment, though I forgot to ask his name. I told him I hope he will be on their next album which is scheduled this fall or winter.

- Three of the Songs of Farewell by Hubert Parry which were quite moving. The choir was really telling a story, using the word painting in the music. Incredibly touching to hear the boys' voices sing about the "sleep eternal".

- Coelos ascendit hodie by Stanford. It has a sudden really high note which was the highest note all night I think. Just shot out there from the trebles :) Quite fitting as the words are the Psalm for Ascension :)

But the most moving piece was the encore - Mother of God by Tavener. Such a wonderful surprise and they sang it so beautifully. Really moved me.

It was also the introit for the Evensong. The church in Leiden is a magnificent building with much better acoustics than the one in Gouda. Also the weather had cooled off quite a bit so conditions were much better on their final night.
I enjoyed the Canticle settings by Purcell. The Nunc dimittis had a duet of the two soloists! :)

The Collects were sung beautifully and the final Amen was really touching. I loved the echo in that church. Also their organ is wonderful, very rich. But there's going to be an even more spectacular English cathedral organ installed this summer. One of the basses later ensured me the sound would be "epic" :) Actually both the organist and the conductor had a go at the instrument after the service and it sounded really impressive.

There was coffee after the service as well and the parents who had also stayed in the Netherlands got to see their boys again who were full of energy and fooling around :)
I understand this three/four day trip for them was quite tiring but very satisfactory. They will start their summer holiday when they return home, which is nice. One of the parents told me not all choral schools "do" full summer holiday breaks. I'm glad these boys do and I for sure hope to see them again. And look out for their forthcoming CD!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Sounds wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it.I wish I could have been there.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

@john45: I made sure I enjoyed for at least two :)

I just discovered that Ben, the soloist who had such a stage presence, also has some acting experience already:

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Ev ... story.html

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/leis ... _Everyman/

Now I understand better where his showmanship comes from :)
Apparently he's moving to higher education next year. I hope he has a bright future ahead of him.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I don't wish to spam this topic but... this is just amazing:

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Temple Church Choir 31 July 2015 Domkerk, Utrecht

Summer holiday means choirs go on tour. So too did the choir of London's famous Temple Church on a week long tour to the Netherlands. On Friday they performed in my old hometown in a packed cathedral. I was curious to hear this choir as I had heard so many good things about them but they were still new to me. They looked impressive in their red robes. I think there were at least sixteen choristers and about twelve choir men. They sang for over an hour straight, with organ intervals. During the intervals, most choristers would drink from their water bottles as the air was a bit dry in the church.

Their repertoire on this tour was really varied, from Renaissance to the present. I liked their more modern stuff the best. Their choir sound is really unique – colourful, solid and somehow continental but with less of the dark bass sound that St. John's has, for instance. They do have some amazing altos though. What's more, the choristers sang almost every piece by heart! Their director Roger Sayer is a sight to behold. He conducts in a unique way. Very playful and painting the words, rather than technically signaling the notes and tempo and so on. The boys responded to this very well. A treat to watch.

The evening went from highlight to highlight. Just as I thought, wow this was the most beautiful performance of the evening, they sang the next piece and it was equally strong or even more impressive on other points. A really tight and strong concert altogether.
Only when I was home again I realised that there hadn't been any pieces with soloists. 'Steal away' by Michael Tippett had a sort of descant solo part but that was it. Kind of a pity to have such an impressive line of trebles and not put a full out solo piece in the concert.
My personal favourite was probably 'Sleep' by Eric Whitacre. An unusual piece for a traditional church choir and they pulled it off with great confidence. The dynamics are what make that piece work and they nailed it. I also loved 'My soul there is a country' by Parry.
On the opposite, the closing piece, Handel's 'Zadok the priest', suited them less well, I thought. Perhaps it was the fact that it was only accompanied on organ but for some reason their less traditional sound did not fit this highly regal composition as well as it did most other pieces on the programme, like works by Howells and Bruckner. Extra mention deserves their performance of 'Abendlied' by Rheinberger because it is such a moving, beautiful work and I finally got to hear it sung live. Truly moving.

It was so hard not to applaud all the time so when we finally could, it felt like a burst of energy finally being released and they received a standing ovation. The director personally shook each boy's hand :) The encore was 'Mother of God' by Tavener – the same piece that Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum chose for their encore at their performances in the Netherlands just a few weeks ago. It was striking to hear the difference in performance, Temple Church sang it much more compact sounding and a little faster. Personally I preferred the more subdued performance of Tewkesbury.
All in all a splendid night and I am glad I now got to know this high standard choir. And I hope to visit Temple Church itself one day.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Thanks maartendas that made for a nice read, glad to hear they left a good impression on you and the audience.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Temple Church Choir 31 July 2015 Domkerk, Utrecht

Summer holiday means choirs go on tour. So too did the choir of London's famous Temple Church on a week long tour to the Netherlands. On Friday they performed in my old hometown in a packed cathedral. I was curious to hear this choir as I had heard so many good things about them but they were still new to me. They looked impressive in their red robes. I think there were at least sixteen choristers and about twelve choir men. They sang for over an hour straight, with organ intervals. During the intervals, most choristers would drink from their water bottles as the air was a bit dry in the church.

Their repertoire on this tour was really varied, from Renaissance to the present. I liked their more modern stuff the best. Their choir sound is really unique – colourful, solid and somehow continental but with less of the dark bass sound that St. John's has, for instance. They do have some amazing altos though. What's more, the choristers sang almost every piece by heart! Their director Roger Sayer is a sight to behold. He conducts in a unique way. Very playful and painting the words, rather than technically signaling the notes and tempo and so on. The boys responded to this very well. A treat to watch.

The evening went from highlight to highlight. Just as I thought, wow this was the most beautiful performance of the evening, they sang the next piece and it was equally strong or even more impressive on other points. A really tight and strong concert altogether.
Only when I was home again I realised that there hadn't been any pieces with soloists. 'Steal away' by Michael Tippett had a sort of descant solo part but that was it. Kind of a pity to have such an impressive line of trebles and not put a full out solo piece in the concert.
My personal favourite was probably 'Sleep' by Eric Whitacre. An unusual piece for a traditional church choir and they pulled it off with great confidence. The dynamics are what make that piece work and they nailed it. I also loved 'My soul there is a country' by Parry.
On the opposite, the closing piece, Handel's 'Zadok the priest', suited them less well, I thought. Perhaps it was the fact that it was only accompanied on organ but for some reason their less traditional sound did not fit this highly regal composition as well as it did most other pieces on the programme, like works by Howells and Bruckner. Extra mention deserves their performance of 'Abendlied' by Rheinberger because it is such a moving, beautiful work and I finally got to hear it sung live. Truly moving.

It was so hard not to applaud all the time so when we finally could, it felt like a burst of energy finally being released and they received a standing ovation. The director personally shook each boy's hand :) The encore was 'Mother of God' by Tavener – the same piece that Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum chose for their encore at their performances in the Netherlands just a few weeks ago. It was striking to hear the difference in performance, Temple Church sang it much more compact sounding and a little faster. Personally I preferred the more subdued performance of Tewkesbury.
All in all a splendid night and I am glad I now got to know this high standard choir. And I hope to visit Temple Church itself one day.
Thanks Maarten, I have a couple of their albums but have not heard them live. It is a tiny church but well worth visiting, and of course you would follow in Libera's footsteps...

When a Knight won his spurs
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote: It is a tiny church but well worth visiting, and of course you would follow in Libera's footsteps...
I get it... the Knights Templar! Good choice of location :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I think this is the first time a boys choir puts out a whole CD of music by Arvo Pärt.

It's quite impressive. I listened to the album on Spotify. Only their Vater Unser is not as good as the version sung by Lluís Travesset of Escolania de Montserrat - two very different soloists and interpretations (plus, one is with piano and the other with organ).
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I do like the sound of the bagpipe
I'm sure I can think of a person who would appreciate this.

Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm sorry, but no mass bagpipe concert is truly complete without The Vanda Miss Joachim Pipe band Singapur.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

paul30003 wrote:I do like the sound of the bagpipe
I'm sure I can think of a person who would appreciate this.
:D
And from Calgary, the birthplace of my sister-in-law!

Btw nice to see you on the Forum again Paul :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Wow. This is (apparently) the final solo performance by Baudouin Aube with the Petits Chanteurs de la Croix de Bois. One of the best boy sopranos of our times - to my ears anyway. At 14, his voice has changed to baritone but they still give him this solo and deservedly so. A moving performance in many respects.