Les Petits Chanteurs à La Croix de Bois aka PCCB

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

j8000

Les Petits Chanteurs à La Croix de Bois aka PCCB

Post by j8000 »

Another French choir, this one a bit more Libera-like

The cat duet they did on their Korea tour in 1996 has over 2 million views :wink:

The audience laughs at a few points and so do the boys:

Here is some more traditional stuff in much quality from their 2016 Korea tour:
ludwig1874
Silver Member

Re: Les Petits Chanteurs à La Croix de Bois aka PCCB

Post by ludwig1874 »

Yes, I know them!! And I bought their last CD on digital download! Fantastic! You could rember: Last year I nearly saw them in China, but I cóuldn`t, because of my wrong train ticket (sniff forever...). :(
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

ludwig1874 wrote:Yes, I know them!! And I bought their last CD on digital download! Fantastic! You could rember: Last year I nearly saw them in China, but I cóuldn`t, because of my wrong train ticket (sniff forever...). :(
On the basis of those videos you were spared an horrendous experience :wink: These have been posted before; my feelings for the cat one can not be displayed on this forum.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
j8000

Post by j8000 »

ludwig1874 wrote:Yes, I know them!! And I bought their last CD on digital download! Fantastic! You could rember: Last year I nearly saw them in China, but I cóuldn`t, because of my wrong train ticket (sniff forever...). :(
Thanks, I might try and buy one of their recordings.

A shame you missed out seeing them. I hate it when plans go wrong like that. I went to a concert once where I bought tickets for two different flights just in case :o

By the way I just saw the cat singers had a reunion last year:

The one on the right is now an opera singer: http://www.regismengus.com/
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I just found out the Little Singers of Paris / Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois made a new CD this summer.

Listen to this... and tell me where you think they got the inspiration :lol: It's a song called "Carol of the Bells". :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDS9_ZHsyx0

They might have a Christmas concert in november in Paris, I will try to see them if so.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:39 pm">4 years ago</span> I just found out the Little Singers of Paris / Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois made a new CD this summer.

Listen to this... and tell me where you think they got the inspiration :lol: It's a song called "Carol of the Bells". :roll:

They might have a Christmas concert in november in Paris, I will try to see them if so.
Clicked on the link but it says the video is unavailable

Mercy & Love
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:39 pm">4 years ago</span> I just found out the Little Singers of Paris / Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois made a new CD this summer.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: This is EXACTLY Libera's arrangement :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Though, I think Libera's performance is much more "round". I mean coherent in terms of voice unity and balance.
Prototype

Post by Prototype »

j8000 wrote: <span title="Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:13 pm">7 years ago</span> Another French choir, this one a bit more Libera-like

The cat duet they did on their Korea tour in 1996 has over 2 million views :wink:
I was just about to make a brand new post about that same video when I saw the title of this thread. That video always makes me smile. Of course after seeing that I had to search for some more cat duet vids. To think it was written around 200 years ago, what was Rossini on? :lol:
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I just found this new PCCB video of Carol of the Bells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGmkNbx7-sQ

It is even more clear that they totally took Libera's arrangement. It actually annoys me a bit, even considering that it means Libera is known and recognised as high quality. I am annoyed because I am not quite sure this was done the right way, I mean did they ask Libera first ? Maybe they did. And it annoys me because I heard them live last month and it was... well it wasn't great. They did not sang "Carol of the Bells", thank god. I wonder how this video was made and I am like 80% positive that it wasn't live record. Either that or it was an entirely different group from the one I saw in concert, because they would not have been able to make it sound like this.

It is good though to know that some french people actually know Libera and care for what they do.
I would like to know if the two choirs connected at some point and if the arrangement for the song was given.
Celt

Post by Celt »

Well, aside from the potential copyright issue with Libera, the video does sound nice. But it is a studio recording on a TV program that I know has dubbed and altered audio for choirs in the past. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had done so again.

PCCB had a reputation as a top quality choir with a long established choir school, and their 1995 album is one of my favourites. However, in recent years, perhaps linked to their repeated problems with finance, they have been quite disappointing live. I heard them myself in Germany a few years ago and have friends who have heard them since, and I've yet to hear someone say anything positive.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I suspect that Robert would have given permission - tv shows tend to play by the rules.

Mercy & Love
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

You were damn right ! The Little Singer of Paris/Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois did their usual Christmas concert in Korea and the videos clearly credit R. Prizeman as you can see below

Some songs are ok, I suppose I could enjoy such a concert, sadly I don't think these boys often get the opportunity to perform in such good conditions in Europe.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Hey, today I came across a video from an old concert of the PCCB in 1989 in Japan, on youtube. So I listened to it (I was curious to see how good they were back then and... not so good today, and my instinct was damn right).
They did a version of "Walking in the Air", the lyrics are in japanese I think. It is pretty good, I like it. Do you ? It starts at 25:58.

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

PCCB recently has launched an appeal for donations.

A quite detailed report explaining the reasons can be found here: https://saint-brieuc.maville.com/actu/a ... JXhUPv-_KU

It is in French, but you can translate it with Google Translate, if you are using Chrome as your webbrowser.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Looks like Les Petits Chanteurs à la Croix de Bois are back in the game !

Here some videos from their tour in the Philippines this year :

I have seen many posts on Twitter about their concerts in Korea as well. I hope they will post an extensive video on YouTube as they used to do in the past.
These last years I have lost hope that the PCCB would be great again, since the last times I attended their concerts it was not very good. But I have watched from afar as they did new things... inspired by Libera... they tried some Libera songs, worked on making the stage good looking, with lights and microphones... And now it looks interesting. Sadly they don't tour in Paris anymore.