Roden Boys Choir

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Roden Boys Choir

Post by maartendas »

Roden Boys Choir (Roder Jongenskoor)

I thought I had made a topic for my favourite Dutch choir here already but apparently not. They are just so outstanding that I felt they deserve their own topic on here :)

But hey, don't take my word for it, read what Andrew Nethsinga (music director at St. John's College, Cambridge) had to say to the RBC's music director Rintje te Wies after their visit to St. John's in July:
It was a great treat to work with your choir this morning. I was most impressed with their singing (including much difficult music!) and their great concentration.
Other music directors who worked with the RBC during their trip to the UK this summer also commented on the choir's ability to follow up instructions and learn new music quickly.

Tonight I attended an Evensong by them and wrote a blog about it. I also got a copy of their freshly released Christmas album and hope to post some of it on YT anytime soon :)
If you look around the Other Choirs etc topic you'll find more of my ramblings about them and on my blog as well :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
worshipper28
Silver Member

Re: Roden Boys Choir

Post by worshipper28 »

Let it know if The Roden Boys Choir perform in Utrecht I will also see them
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi worshipper28, I will do that :)

Here they are singing live on a Dutch TV program called Nederland zingt. I just love this moving, haunting piece by Philip Stopford and the way Ischi Magna delivers his solo is so impressive.

[youtube][/youtube]
worshipper28
Silver Member

Post by worshipper28 »

So as wel as I always see "Songs of Praise" on BBC it is good to see on Saturday the EO program "Nederland zingt"
Unfortunately I missed it at 24 dec because I looked at BBC2 ""Carols of Kings"".
If they sing there again, please post the new video here also
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I can't blame you for choosing King's that evening ;) (to me, they're world champion Christmas singing).
I'll try to keep up to date with the finest choir I know in the Netherlands ;) I'm a "Friend" (sponsor) of the choir so among other things I also get a regular newsletter :)
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Lully, lulla, lullay video is such a gem !Thanks Maarten for sharing! :D
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Murkskis wrote:Lully, lulla, lullay video is such a gem !Thanks Maarten for sharing! :D
Yes, I agree, very well done. Thanks for sharing.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Ah, I remember you posted this on twitter, so we listened to it while driving in the car. It is sooo beautiful. Love the harmonies. Thank you for putting it on YT. :)
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I forgot to mention that the song is featured on their latest CD 'A Babe is born' - much recommended!See here. (click on 'Roder Jongenskoor' in the black menu, top left)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Today I attended a Festival of Lessons and Carols by the Roden Boys Choir in the Martinikerk (St. Martin's church) in Groningen. I hadn't seen them in a few years and was impressed by their size and quality. They were always excellent but they have kept up their standards perfectly. I think there were 18 trebles and about 14 men, not counting at least 3 small probationers.
Some highlights, points to mention:

The soloist for Once in Royal David's City started the procession while holding a candle at the same time, which was quite moving and an impressive start of the service.

Alleluya, a new work is come at hand by Peter Wishart - gorgeous, the Alleluyas woven like a tapestry, executed beautifully. The echo in the church lasted quite some time and it was wonderful to hear that closing chord go up...

In the bleak midwinter (setting by Darke) - the first verse by a soloist who gave a proud smile after his long closing note, great to see - and hear! The atmosphere in the whole performance was very moving.

In dulci jubilo - wonderful in dynamics and build-up and directed very well, also the tempo - slower than Libera's version, really like a rocking lullaby.

Here is the little door - the beautiful and powerful chords of Howells sung very well here

Dormi, Jesu - by Rutter, I first heard it at the service from King's this year and thought it was strikingly beautiful. These boys and men also gave a great performance. The melody in the refrain is so lovely and then the closing part is so dissonant and different.

And then there was the organ accompaniment by Sietze de Vries who always plays the best at every organ he encounters, a true craftsman.

The choir celebrated its 30th anniversary this year and despite the impressive size and quality it was noted they are always on the lookout for new members each year. One boy sang his first concert today while one of the men was applauded for being in the choir almost for the entire three decades of its existence! Let's hope the future will be bright for this excellent choir :)

P.S. It was the first time I saw them perform in their new red robes but I didn't realise that until much later, that's how natural they look in their new robes :)