Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

hiskeys
Silver Member

Re: Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by hiskeys »

I'm not sure if Oleg Aleksandrov has been mentioned already on this 'long' thread, but I thought it was interesting that he's singing 'Smile', which is on Libera's new Hope CD. He takes a minute to get over the jitters, but nice job for 7 years old. He also does justice to 'I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas'.

hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

This post might get swallowed up with the Libera concert tomorrow evening, but it's great Christmas fun!

Here's a group that could be classified 'alt-Libera', since they don't exactly sing high.

Christmas cheer to all!!

Jay_S
Silver Member

Post by Jay_S »

That's the Christmas spirit for you! Made me smile. That's enough :D
"with a down derry, derry down down"
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

So, from the fun 'bass' voices of my Christmas post above, to the echo-y voices of this one . . .

What Libera song do you think would be the best one to record in this unique place?

hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Here's a heartwarming presentation of The First Noel with 5th graders. They really seem to be engaged and enjoying it.

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I find this so delightful, a perfect blend of instruments and voice:

You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Here's a fun song with a couple young brothers - singing, dancing, and all around having a good time!

hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

The familiar beginning to Libera's Vespera, but a different body of the song after that. Nice clean harmonies.

maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

For lovers of the Pachelbel Canon...

(and lovers of religious art)

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, while Libera is headed to San Antonio to perform, the Texas Children's Choir based in San Antonio is in England performing at Ely Cathedral where Libera had their last concert! They are involved in a commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the ending of World War I. You can go to http://www.texaschildrenschoir.org/index.html and scroll down to the upcoming events section to read more about it. Their facebook page has some good videos: https://www.facebook.com/texaschildrenschoir/
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Some of you may be interested in this podcast from "Music From the Tower", which is the show where Libera was interviewed by John Romeri during last year's U.S. tour. In the latest episode, he interviewed Charles Cole, the director of the Schola Cantorum from the London Oratory School (He also directs two other groups). I thought it was quite an interesting interview, interspersed with some music from the group's most recent recording.
https://occatholic.com/category/podcast ... the-tower/
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for letting us know! I am actually quite curious to hear this choir and how nice to have an interview with their choir director as well. I will definitely give this a listen.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Random information about the London Oratory School Schola: they were the boys' choir featured throughout the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, and two soloists from the choir also were part of the soundtracks - Edward Ross for the first movie, and Ben Del Maestro for the second two. Edward Ross was the soloist on In Dreams at the end of the Fellowship of the Ring.

Just had to mention that, since the Lord of the Rings soundtracks were part of the reason I first started listening to Libera. :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

In Dreams is one of my absolute favourite pieces of music featuring a boy soloist and an orchestra :) Also love the movies!
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

This week, for only 1 euro, I purchased a second-hand copy of a double disc on Decca Records of St. John's and King's College singing Vivaldi. It is simply beautiful and radiant. I found a Youtube video of the Gloria RV 588.
St. John's is joined by Lynda Russell (soprano I), Patrizia Kwella (soprano II), Anne Wilkens (mezzo), Kenneth Bowen (tenor) and The Wren Orchestra, under the baton of George Guest. Recorded in 1981 (when I was just 1 year old!)